Windows 10: Want to make certain drive letters unavailable to automount.... any ideas?

Discus and support Want to make certain drive letters unavailable to automount.... any ideas? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good Morning, We have a VDI environment that utilizes Windows 10 LTSB. They are using writable volumes, which we have a scheduled task on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Cory Wyatt, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Want to make certain drive letters unavailable to automount.... any ideas?

Good Morning,

We have a VDI environment that utilizes Windows 10 LTSB. They are using writable volumes, which we have a scheduled task on startup to assign to the F: drive. The issue that has arisen, is that if someone has a USB plugged in during the boot process, it takes the F: drive letter via automount. I have been searching for ways to restrict drive letters to USB devices, or maybe even indicate which drive letter to start at...

:)

Cory Wyatt, Nov 14, 2018
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Nov 14, 2018
  3. jonathanr Win User
    How to disable automount of drives in Windows 10

Hello All,
    Does anyone have an idea of how to prevent the automounting of hard disks / other media (particularly USB drives and SD cards) in Windows 10? It seems that the registry hacks that work in Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 do not work in Windows 10.

To check this, take a look in Computer Management -> Disk Managment. What I want is for the Disk to show up but be listed as Offline (not Online).

Thanks,
    Jonathan

jonathanr, Nov 14, 2018
  4. Arun B J Win User

Want to make certain drive letters unavailable to automount.... any ideas?

Problem with letter drives confusing Sony Vegas

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Open Disk Management (press [Win] +[R], type "diskmgmt.msc", and press [Enter]).
    • In the lower pane, right-click on the partition that you want to change drive letter, and click "Change Drive Letter and Paths"
    • A dialog should come up, showing the partition's current drive letter. Even if it is correct, click [Change].
    • From the dropdown, select any new letter, and then [OK] your way back to Disk Management. And check if it helps.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Arun B J, Nov 14, 2018
Thema:

Want to make certain drive letters unavailable to automount.... any ideas?

1. Want to make certain drive letters unavailable to automount.... any ideas? - Similar Threads - certain drive letters

2. any ideas

in Windows 10 Gaming
    any ideas: and still nothing but it seems to work with my phone’s hotspot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/any-ideas/cf4d3957-9805-4919-bc0a-de57203282b2
  3. any ideas

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    any ideas: and still nothing but it seems to work with my phone’s hotspot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/any-ideas/cf4d3957-9805-4919-bc0a-de57203282b2
  4. any ideas

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Veracrypt automount

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Veracrypt automount: Hey! How do i get veracrypt to automount? i have diffrent passwords, on all my veracrypt drives? 180623
  6. Any drive with drive letter "E" is inaccessibe

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Any drive with drive letter "E" is inaccessibe: I have a Windows 10 PC. There's a strange issue I am facing. Any drive which has drive letter "E" becomes inaccessible. I was changing default location of User folders when this happened. If I connect a USB drive, it is assigned letter "E". It is inaccessible in that...
  7. Any ideas?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any ideas?: Hey, can I ask for help? Recently I updated my windows, and as soon as the update finished, there is no volume. I tried to look it at the internet and through device manager but the “sound, game controller” thing was not there. I tried to instqll it but when its installing...
  8. Any ideas?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any ideas?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/elarsia [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iin2nl/any_ideas/
  9. Drive Letter on USB extenal Drive auto-changed with W10 update ... old letter now unavailable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive Letter on USB extenal Drive auto-changed with W10 update ... old letter now unavailable: Hello. I just upgraded from Win7 to Win10 (1903) on a Dell Vostro 2520 laptop (i3, 8GB, 64-bit). Boot is UEFI. All drivers are up-to-date. I have admin privileges. Storage is an internal Crucial SSD [C:] and an external Seagate 2TB USB drive, which was set to Drive [E:]...
  10. Making drive letter changes stick

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Making drive letter changes stick: I have the following partitions: System partition on C User data partition on D DVD-RW on E External hard drive on F I'd like for the external hard drive to forever stick to F, but it isn't happening. If I disconnect the external HD, then connect my card reader, I'll...