Windows 10: Want to make wifi ALWAYS forget password

Discus and support Want to make wifi ALWAYS forget password in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a young'un I'd like to make "earn" internet each day. The plan is, he needs to come talk to me or his dad and we will type in the wifi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jsiete, May 28, 2016.

1. jsiete Win User

Want to make wifi ALWAYS forget password

Hi, I have a young'un I'd like to make "earn" internet each day. The plan is, he needs to come talk to me or his dad and we will type in the wifi password. Only trouble is that his devices (Windows 10 laptop and Surface Pro) automatically remember our home wifi password upon booting, even if I tell them to forget the network. Is there any way to make sure that the password MUST be entered each time? (This isn't an option with my ISP's parental controls. Alternatively, I know I can change the wifi password every day if I want through our ISP or router settings, but that's a last resort since that would mean that the adults have to type it in fresh on their phones and laptops every day as well... no bueno.)

I'm not very tech-minded so feel free to explain it like you would to a five year old. *Smile Screenshots always welcome.

Thanks in advance!

:)

jsiete, May 28, 2016

2. wifi connection password

Go to your wifi icon (just like if you wanted to connect to another wifi network). Right-click the network name and choose "forget" to make it forget the old password, then you can connect again and be prompted for the new password.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], May 28, 2016
  3. Onkar HN Win User
    lumina 1020 wifi

If you make 'forget' a connection with advance settings in WiFi, then your Lumia will not remember the password. If you don't make it forget it'll remember and connect.

Onkar HN, May 28, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi jsiete and welcome to Tenforums.

There are a couple things you could do.

First, when you connect to your wifi, if you uncheck the "connect automatically" box, it will not remember the password.

Want to make wifi ALWAYS forget password [​IMG]

The other option is to use the settings in your router, to control access times for the MAC addresses of the devices. This would be more of an automatic setting, where you could assign access during certain times of the day.

Hope that helps.

simrick, May 28, 2016
  5. jsiete Win User
    Hi, Simrick, thanks for your response! Unfortunately the first thing you described is exactly what I tried, and which didn't seem to work. This deselection causes the wifi to NOT connect automatically, BUT when pulled up, my kid is able to click "connect" without needing to type in the password and it connects. So it retains the password authentication, it just doesn't connect until you tell it to--no good for my situation.

jsiete, May 28, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Probably requires a reboot to remove the connection.

simrick, May 28, 2016
  7. jsiete Win User
    That's what I did. *Sad This is starting to sound like something I'll have to manage from outside the computer.

jsiete, May 28, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

Strange. With all the computers I work on at my home, I connect with the box unchecked, and after every reboot, I have to input the password again. I have never had one remember the password after a reboot, ever. *Confused

Perhaps the MAC address control in the router would be an option, but not really the one you're looking for. Sorry I can't be of more help.

simrick, May 28, 2016
  9. Kyhi Win User
    Take it away from them.. Always works...

10. simrick Win User
    *Roflmao2*Thumbs So true!

simrick, May 29, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    simrick, May 29, 2016
  12. I know, that CCleaner removes WiFi password (section Windows Explorer - Network Passwords), but you would have to run it every time or at least create a shortcut to turn off computer with CCleaner's shortcut.

The other option is to use a password protected software to maintain network connections, like NetSetMan.
    You would set it to start with non-existing network and in order to switch to WiFi, a password would be required.

TairikuOkami, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Want to make wifi ALWAYS forget password - Similar Threads - wifi ALWAYS forget

2. Want to forget a WIFI connection, but the "forget" option is not there

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Want to forget a WIFI connection, but the "forget" option is not there: Hi allI needed to change my password at uni every six months is the policy.Usually, on my personal laptop then, I forget the uni wifi network, and rejoin with the new password.But this time... the "Forget" option is not there to select... so I am stuck. When I click the wifi...
  3. Want to forget a WIFI connection, but the "forget" option is not there

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Want to forget a WIFI connection, but the "forget" option is not there: Hi allI needed to change my password at uni every six months is the policy.Usually, on my personal laptop then, I forget the uni wifi network, and rejoin with the new password.But this time... the "Forget" option is not there to select... so I am stuck. When I click the wifi...
  4. Laptop forgets wifi password of the previously connected wifi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop forgets wifi password of the previously connected wifi: Ok, i had this issue for more than half an year but now i really can't stand it anymore so that's why i'm asking here. It all started randomly when i was running win 10 one day i noticed that my laptop asked me for my work wifi network, i didn't thought much of it and i typed...
  5. Laptop forgets wifi password of the previously connected wifi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop forgets wifi password of the previously connected wifi: Ok, i had this issue for more than half an year but now i really can't stand it anymore so that's why i'm asking here. It all started randomly when i was running win 10 one day i noticed that my laptop asked me for my work wifi network, i didn't thought much of it and i typed...
  6. Laptop forgets wifi password of the previously connected wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. windows forget password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows forget password: Hello Imagine an organization with 5,000 users. If 5% of users forget their Windows password, which is Join Domain, 250 requests for password change will be sent to the admin every day. Is it possible to add a password forget option on the Windows login page?...
  8. admin password forget

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    admin password forget: I was Admin of Windows Then my admin account just hide from login then i use standard user then i forget password i cant make standard to Admin https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/admin-password-forget/4c0a28ab-e448-40e5-8fd4-fe553a9128ea
  9. How to make win10 Forget a password

in Browsers and Email
    How to make win10 Forget a password: Hi all, I have windows setup so that it asks me if it should remember the "sign in info for this website" and then i click yes or no. Is there a way to make windows forget the information for just one website? I know i can make it forget ALL passwords, but that is not what i...
  10. Wifi Password is always encrypted?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi Password is always encrypted?: Hello, I am trying to recover my Wifi Password that's saved on my Windows 10 computer. I see every single tutorial in the universe tells me to open Wireless Properties. However, when I open the security options and select "show characters" the password suddenly changes to...