Windows 10: Want to reinstall into smaller partition

Discus and support Want to reinstall into smaller partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Dell XPS i7 16GB, 1TB HDD I have been trying (for way too many hours now) to shrink the existing OS partition to approx 100GB (more on this later) and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Odysseus, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Odysseus Win User

Want to reinstall into smaller partition

Dell XPS i7 16GB, 1TB HDD

I have been trying (for way too many hours now) to shrink the existing OS partition to approx 100GB (more on this later) and have decided to stop beating my head against a wall. No matter what options I choose, it just will not shrink to less than 600+GB.

So I now want to reinstall Win 10 on my HDD, put the OS in one partition, and use the balance for win data files and linux data files (each of these two in their own partitions). Linux will be on a separate SSD and I want to dual boot.

When I do a clean reinstall, will I have an option in that process to make a partition for Win 10 OS (and the two data partitions), or should I reformat the HDD and make the three partitions first and install into one of them (presumably the first?)? If the latter, what software is best for this partitioning?

I do not plan to use Win 10 much but want to keep it alive and there for when I do want it. Given that the Win OS and Win data will reside on two different partitions, how much room do I need for the OS?

any other observations/guidance welcomed.

:)

Odysseus, Nov 12, 2018
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Nov 12, 2018
  3. Help! Data partition not showing under my computer

This is happening on a windows 2000 server. Our second partition of the system, for data is not showing under my computer. Here are the properties of it in disk management:

Want to reinstall into smaller partition partition.jpg

Now under logical drives its listed as F and shows free space available.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

Hybrid_theory, Nov 12, 2018
  4. Want to reinstall into smaller partition

hard partition

Hi Prasad,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are trying to extend the Volume of Drives and create partitions from C: drive.

I would suggest you to follow the steps and check if it helps you.

• Press Windows + R keys, type diskmgmt.msc hit
      enter.
    • Disk management will open. Right click on the C: drive
      below in the segments of the partitions.
    • Select Shrink Volume. Select the Amount of space
      you want to extend in MBs (1GB = 1024MB).
    • Follow the instruction and check if it creates a Unallocated Drive.
    Later after the Unallocated drive is created follow the below steps to crate a partition.

• Right click on the Unallocated drive and select
      New Simple Volume.
    • Select the Drive letter and follow the instructions and check if it
      creates a partition.
    • Follow the same to Create partition.
    Note: C: drive must be not less than 100GB if you are using a 1TB hard drive. partitions must not be more than 3 drives to have a better functioning of the system.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Nov 12, 2018
Thema:

Want to reinstall into smaller partition

1. Want to reinstall into smaller partition - Similar Threads - reinstall smaller partition

2. Selling PC. Want to reinstall Windows to smaller SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Selling PC. Want to reinstall Windows to smaller SSD: As the title suggests, I am selling an old laptop. The original SSD was a 120gb. I replaced it with a 500gb. Now, as I am selling the computer, I want to put the original 120gb back in with a clean copy of Windows 10 Home. With Microsoft being somewhat particular about it's...
  3. Selling PC. Want to reinstall Windows to smaller SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Selling PC. Want to reinstall Windows to smaller SSD: As the title suggests, I am selling an old laptop. The original SSD was a 120gb. I replaced it with a 500gb. Now, as I am selling the computer, I want to put the original 120gb back in with a clean copy of Windows 10 Home. With Microsoft being somewhat particular about it's...
  4. Selling PC. Want to reinstall Windows to smaller SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Partitions when reinstalling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partitions when reinstalling: Helping a friend,Gone through all the repair and scans, having to re-install windows.When I go to partitions there seems to be about 6?The one I picked right or wrong and it warned me was the primary petition.One is a recovery, or 2.Can the others be cleaned off. Why so...
  6. Partitions when reinstalling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partitions when reinstalling: Helping a friend,Gone through all the repair and scans, having to re-install windows.When I go to partitions there seems to be about 6?The one I picked right or wrong and it warned me was the primary petition.One is a recovery, or 2.Can the others be cleaned off. Why so...
  7. Partitions when reinstalling

8. Game Resolution Notably Smaller After Reinstalling Windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Game Resolution Notably Smaller After Reinstalling Windows: I had to reinstall Windows a few days ago and once I logged in again my screen looked clearer and bigger. Normally that would be fine, but the screen resolution is so big that most of my games can't fit the screen in windowed mode. Before, 1280x720 for a game fit the screen...
  9. want to reinstall win10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    want to reinstall win10: before 29jyly15, my pc with win8.1 home basic, was upgraded to win10. recently it became non usable due os problems. so i reinstalled win8.1 again. i wish to know what should i do to reinstall win10? --tried using media creation tool with both options-1)upgrade this pc...
  10. Reinstall and partitions question

Reinstall and partitions question: I'm wanting to reinstall Windows 10 on my SSD. Before I do I'll unplug the additional drives I have inside my PC for storage (E: onwards), to isolate the SSD. However, C: (disk1 in the screenshot below) has several partitions and unlabelled volumes that I'm guessing Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to reinstall windows on a smaller partition

2. want to re-install windows 10 but keed second partition