Windows 10: WANT TO REPLACE LAPTOP HD WITH A BRAND NEW CLEAN SSD

Discus and support WANT TO REPLACE LAPTOP HD WITH A BRAND NEW CLEAN SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Dell Inspiron 15-5000 series which has a hard drive that I am sure has some conflict issues with the OS. A recent major update did not fix it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MHod1, Sep 28, 2019.

1. MHod1 Win User

WANT TO REPLACE LAPTOP HD WITH A BRAND NEW CLEAN SSD

I have a Dell Inspiron 15-5000 series which has a hard drive that I am sure has some conflict issues with the OS. A recent major update did not fix it. My data is sacrosanct and don't want to lose it. Therefore I will copy that over to a safe storage. Apps can be reinstalled, though I hate to have to take the time. I know that I can "mirror-copy" or clone my current hard drive to the now blank, SSD drive. But I don't want to copy/replicate anything that could be causing problems. I'd rather clean-install a brand new Win10 on the SSD and then build it up with supporting apps. But I don't want to have to buy a new license for Win10 to do so.

How do I go about this?

:)

MHod1, Sep 28, 2019

2. replace HD with SSD.

I want to replace my current HD with SSD in SFFOptiplex 740 running Windows 7 Pro.

If I mirror the HD does my windows key go with it to the SSD.

And can I just simply exchange the drives?

DarrellBrownVU, Sep 28, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Clean insatll on a New SSD?

Your current Windows 10 is already activated and registered with MS Server. Replacing with a brand new SSD does not affect anything. Just do a fresh install. When asked to enter product key, just click on "Skip this step" or "Do it later".
    Windows should be activated once done.

topgundcp, Sep 28, 2019
  4. WANT TO REPLACE LAPTOP HD WITH A BRAND NEW CLEAN SSD

BSOD's on Win10 after replacing HD with SSD

Happy New Year and thanks for helping me !

I started with suggestion #2, ran the thing for a few hours (don't know how long it takes to complete), but got 10.000+ memory errors scattered throughout the whole 16G :-( This must have been since I replaceded my HD for a SSD, do you know how this can
    be related ? I should replace the 2 memory board I guess ?

Haven't done any overclocking by the way.

BlueScreener1973, Sep 28, 2019
Thema:

WANT TO REPLACE LAPTOP HD WITH A BRAND NEW CLEAN SSD

1. WANT TO REPLACE LAPTOP HD WITH A BRAND NEW CLEAN SSD - Similar Threads - REPLACE LAPTOP BRAND

2. Replace HD with SSD and upgrade memory

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replace HD with SSD and upgrade memory: I am planning to upgrade my HP Envy x360 laptop by installing an SSD and 16 GB RAM. I already made a WindowsImage Backup and installed it in portable drive to recover the Windows 10 OS, programs and files from the hard drive to be replaced. What are the steps I need to follow...
  3. Replace HD with SSD and upgrade memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replace HD with SSD and upgrade memory: I am planning to upgrade my HP Envy x360 laptop by installing an SSD and 16 GB RAM. I already made a WindowsImage Backup and installed it in portable drive to recover the Windows 10 OS, programs and files from the hard drive to be replaced. What are the steps I need to follow...
  4. Replace HD with SSD and upgrade memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Update laptop with brand new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update laptop with brand new SSD: Hello.I have a laptop with Windows 8. I want to upgrade the device with a brand new SSD, but I would like to know two things:1. Is it possible to use my Windows 8 license to install Windows in this SSD? I have the key in an official Dell/ Microsoft document that came with the...
  6. Update laptop with brand new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update laptop with brand new SSD: Hello.I have a laptop with Windows 8. I want to upgrade the device with a brand new SSD, but I would like to know two things:1. Is it possible to use my Windows 8 license to install Windows in this SSD? I have the key in an official Dell/ Microsoft document that came with the...
  7. Permissions error with external HD and brand new laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Permissions error with external HD and brand new laptop: Logged in on same Microsoft account on my desktop and laptop. Completely unable to open any files I try to bring to my laptop via the external hard drive. I have tried changing permissions, reformatting the HD, reinstalling windows and etc . I want to be able to use my...
  8. Replacing notebook HD with SSD (use HD for internal storage)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing notebook HD with SSD (use HD for internal storage): A mobile workstation came with 750 GB HD and 32 GB flash cache. https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...tation/5387509 There are two HD bays. One has the HD in a chassis and the other is empty (no chassis). The 32 GB SSD is flash cache. It cannot be used for storage. The...
  9. Brand new SSD not working?

Brand new SSD not working?: I just got a brand new SSD Kingston 240 GB SSD. Installed Windows 10 on it. Restarted the PC and it wouldn't boot, no operating system found. I went into Windows installation once again and I see the SSD being shown as an 2 TB drive with 0 MB free. What is going on? This...
  10. Replacing HD with SSD - Not Recognized

Replacing HD with SSD - Not Recognized: I'm trying to replace my 1TB HD with a similar size SanDisk SSD. I plan to use Apricorn Ez Gig IV to clone the HD to the SSD. I cannot get the SSD to show as a valid drive on File Explorer and the software shows the drive but says it cannot find it. I can see the new drive in...