Windows 10: want to shutdown laptop when 'opening' lid

Discus and support want to shutdown laptop when 'opening' lid in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; i wanna shutdown my laptop when opening lid i am running a program on windows leaving the lid closed when ppl open the lid, i don't want them to see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by donef, Dec 16, 2020.

1. donef Win User

want to shutdown laptop when 'opening' lid

i wanna shutdown my laptop when opening lid
    i am running a program on windows leaving the lid closed
    when ppl open the lid, i don't want them to see what is running on

i refered to this document
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...en-wake-action

and then tried below on powershell

powercfg -setacvalueindex 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e 4f971e89-eebd-4455-a8de-9e59040e7347 3

0 (do nothing) , it works
    1 (display on), it works

i guessed 3 would be 'shutdown' so i put 3 over there, but invalid parameter

is it possible to shutdown laptop editing regedit or powershell command?

any tips?

:)

donef, Dec 16, 2020
  2. rmoreau Win User

How to force shutdown on laptop lid close ?

Hi,
    I want to force a shutdown when the user close the laptop lid even if MSWord is open and the document was not saved.
    Any suggestion ?

Regards

rmoreau, Dec 16, 2020
  3. Laptop Automatically Turns On when Openning Lid after SHUTDOWN

Hello Ali,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

What is the make and model of your device?

Is it really going to Shutdown state?

Opening a Lid will make PC to wake it from Sleep Mode. I guess the same is happening in your situation. It might be going to sleep mode and opening Lid brings it back from the sleep. Why because, when system goes to complete shutdown, then it won't turn
    on automatically when you open the Lid, until unless you press Power button.

Suggest you to cross the same with the Power options. To go to power options, press Start, type
    Power Options into the search space and select the same from the list.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Dec 16, 2020
  4. Gan_666 Win User

Laptop does not shutdown when i click shutdown and close the lid, it sleeps instead.

Whenever i click shutdown on my laptop, i directly close the lid. However, the laptop sleeps instead of shutdown. The bulb icon on my laptop which indicates the laptop is sleeping tells me that the laptop did not shutdown properly. I have to open the lid
    again for it to shutdown properly. Please tell me that there's a fix to this. Thank you.

Gan_666, Dec 16, 2020
Thema:

1. want to shutdown laptop when 'opening' lid - Similar Threads - shutdown laptop 'opening'

2. Bsod when closing and opening laptop lid

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bsod when closing and opening laptop lid: I'm running Windows 10 version 21H2, and every time I close the laptop lid, when I open it I get a BSOD which says your windows insider build ran into a problem with the error IRQL_LESS_THAN_NOT_EQAL and application failed is amdkmpfd.sys When the pc automatically restarts i...
  3. Bsod when closing and opening laptop lid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bsod when closing and opening laptop lid: I'm running Windows 10 version 21H2, and every time I close the laptop lid, when I open it I get a BSOD which says your windows insider build ran into a problem with the error IRQL_LESS_THAN_NOT_EQAL and application failed is amdkmpfd.sys When the pc automatically restarts i...
  4. Bsod when closing and opening laptop lid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why does my laptop shutdown when the lid is closed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my laptop shutdown when the lid is closed?: Title. Also, I'm not sure if it hibernates or anything but after I close the lid for a certain amount of time the computer shutdowns maybe? and I have to start it again with Win11 logo displaying. My PC starts off a bit slow when doing this and becomes normal againMy power...
  6. Why does my laptop shutdown when the lid is closed?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my laptop shutdown when the lid is closed?: Title. Also, I'm not sure if it hibernates or anything but after I close the lid for a certain amount of time the computer shutdowns maybe? and I have to start it again with Win11 logo displaying. My PC starts off a bit slow when doing this and becomes normal againMy power...
  7. Shutdown when I close the lid.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shutdown when I close the lid.: I'm using a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 laptop and one day I changed the 'sleep time when plugged in' to 5 hours and now I can't sleep my laptop when closing the lid. I've reset power settings and disabled the Intel Management Engine, and almost did everything in the internet. How...
  8. "Slide to shutdown" appears when I open the laptop lid, won't go away and laptop shuts down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    "Slide to shutdown" appears when I open the laptop lid, won't go away and laptop shuts down: Hi everyone, This problem has been frustrating me for a while, as I keep losing work over and over again because of this problem : So the issue is that every time after I close the lid and open it back again, the 'Slide to Shutdown' screen appears, and whether I slide up,...
  9. Opening laptop lid

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Opening laptop lid: Hi Its somthing weird happening my laptop When i open the lid of my laptop more than 90 deg it shuts down It wont happen anything if i open it less than 90 deg I even reinstalled windows but its still not working Email me if u want to see its video: *** Email address is...
  10. when to close the lid of laptop after shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    when to close the lid of laptop after shutdown: hello when i shutdown my laptop it the screen become dark after 6 secs (approx) but the two led lights at the right corner of keyboard still blinks for 15 secs(approx) so shall i wait for the ligjt to stop blinking or shall i just close the lid pannel after screens goes...