Windows 10: Want to upgrade a new laptop from Win 10 Home to Pro. Home version not yet activated.

Discus and support Want to upgrade a new laptop from Win 10 Home to Pro. Home version not yet activated. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; New Laptop arriving today - was only available at short notice with Windows 10 Home. I only use Windows Pro versions. Without spending an arm and a leg... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bothybrowser, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Want to upgrade a new laptop from Win 10 Home to Pro. Home version not yet activated.

New Laptop arriving today - was only available at short notice with Windows 10 Home. I only use Windows Pro versions. Without spending an arm and a leg on a complete Pro package what is the best way forward. I will not be activating the Home version but will obviously need a Pro Key - how do I go about getting this.

:)

bothybrowser, Oct 12, 2018
  2. Saltgrass Win User

Can't activate Windows 10 pro on brand new laptop

You may not understand the Win 10 activation is kept online using an electronic key. An upgrade install is good for one machine only unless you purchased a Win 10 key.

Your new laptop came with Win 10 Home, so it has a license for that OS. Unless your Win 10 Pro has it own license key, you will need to upgrade the machine to Win 10 Pro first to allow it to set the Electronic key for that version.

The old machine should still have its original Win 10 activation.

Saltgrass, Oct 12, 2018
  3. Endre_am Win User
    Putting SSD with activated Win 10 pro from an old laptop to a new one

Hello

My Lenovo G570 laptop monitor has been damaged beyond repair. I can use the laptop monitor for limited work, so repairing would cost more than a second hand laptop. So I wish to buy a used laptop and to insert my SSD with activated Win 10 pro from the
    old (Lenovo G570) laptop into the new one. To repeat, Win 10pro OS was activated in the old (Lenovo G570) laptop, so I would place the SSD with the activated Win 10 pro from the old to a new laptop.

My question is:

After putting my SSD with activated Win 10 pro from the old (Lenovo G570) to a new laptop, would my activated Win 10 pro from the old laptop work in the new laptop? That is, will I lose the valid license for Win 10 pro if
    I swap the Win 10 pro with SSD between the laptops?

Regards

Endre

Endre_am, Oct 12, 2018
  4. RobCoxXA Win User

Want to upgrade a new laptop from Win 10 Home to Pro. Home version not yet activated.

Win 10 Pro upgrade using Win 8 Pro product key

I just bought a new computer running Win 10 Home. When I went to upgrade to Win 10 Pro using my Win 8 Pro product key from my old computer, the upgrade wouldn't activate.

Now I'm stuck with a bunch of error messages (mainly 0xC004C003) and am being told windows isn't activated. I can't seem to get my activated Win 10 Home back.

I don't have a product key for the Win 10 Home because it came pre-installed. There's no product code recorded on the packaging or labelling on the device.

So:

How do I either

• activate the Win Pro upgrade, or
    • Get my activated Win 10 home back?

RobCoxXA, Oct 12, 2018
Thema:

Want to upgrade a new laptop from Win 10 Home to Pro. Home version not yet activated.

1. Want to upgrade a new laptop from Win 10 Home to Pro. Home version not yet activated. - Similar Threads - upgrade laptop Home

2. upgrade laptop from win 10 home to win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    upgrade laptop from win 10 home to win 10 pro: upgrade laptop from win 10 home to win 10 pro, my laptop with retail version of win 10 pro died and i wish to transfer reail win 10 pro to replacement laptop that has wn 10 oem home. the key i hqave is only the generic ......3V66T how will microsoft now that i had the...
  3. upgrade laptop from win 10 home to win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrade laptop from win 10 home to win 10 pro: upgrade laptop from win 10 home to win 10 pro, my laptop with retail version of win 10 pro died and i wish to transfer reail win 10 pro to replacement laptop that has wn 10 oem home. the key i hqave is only the generic ......3V66T how will microsoft now that i had the...
  4. upgrade laptop from win 10 home to win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrade from Win 10 Home to PRO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from Win 10 Home to PRO: I have purchased an upgrade from Win 10 Home to PRO from Microsoft. When I click on install on the upgraed site I get a message " something happend and we couldn't start the upgrade" No error code or any other info. I turned off anti-virous and fire wall. I don't have key...
  6. Upgrading from win 10 home to pro

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading from win 10 home to pro: So, I used the windows installation media to copy a licensed win 10 home to my newly built pc. Now, I'm considering upgrading to Pro but have a few questions. Since my current windows is a Home install but isn't activated, can I simply upgrade using a Win 10 Pro key and...
  7. upgrade from Win 10 home to Pro

upgrade from Win 10 home to Pro: I needed a product key to activate win 10 so I purchased Home. product key would not activate. Then I noticed I needed the Pro product key. How can I upgrade to the Pro purchase key? I just purchased the Win 10 home from Microsoft store a few hours ago and it was completely...
  8. upgrade from win 10 home to pro

upgrade from win 10 home to pro: Hi. I deactivated old laptop with Win 10 Pro and used that activation key for my new laptop with Win 10 Home installed. Activation key is fine (no errors reported) but, new PC still shows as Win 10 Home installed. any ideas why? Thank you...
  9. Win 10 upgrade from Home to Pro broke activation

Win 10 upgrade from Home to Pro broke activation: Hi, I bought windows 10 professional from MS Store. After in-place upgrade, for some reason it shows that I have Windows 10 Enterprise installed on my machine and it can not activate my windows. Please help. Thanks in advance, Aditya...
  10. Upgrading from Win 10 Home -> Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Win 10 Home -> Pro: I purchased a machine with Windows 10 Home pre-installed. I purchased a Win 10 Pro OEM licence from Directdeals.com as I had done successfully before, now when I try and enter the new product key I get an error message: "The product key you entered didn't work. …...