Windows 10: Want to upgrade wired/wireless to match 1 gigabit speeds

Discus and support Want to upgrade wired/wireless to match 1 gigabit speeds in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 1 gigabit internet I upgraded to about 6 months ago and the upgrade was huge in real life performance especially bandwidth/ping. The speeds... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Swaglife81, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Want to upgrade wired/wireless to match 1 gigabit speeds

I have 1 gigabit internet I upgraded to about 6 months ago and the upgrade was huge in real life performance especially bandwidth/ping. The speeds never get throttled and my house is full 4-5 people on 1 router. BUT..... My download speeds are meh compared to the budget basic internet package. I know my PC is somewhat out of date on hardwire as its a software updated 2013 model. My ethernet is a Realtek PCI FE 10/100 setup and my wireless is a basic 802.11n Broadcom.

Right now I'm wired with a ethernet cable capable of more than I can through at it. My router is a 2.4/5 ghz router and I think reach 750 Mbps, not sure on exact speeds. The tech at the house said he got 900 Mbps wired.

So from my understanding I have 3 options for upgrades.

1. Ethernet Adapter
    2. Usb Dongle
    3. 802.11AC Internal mini half card

Just want to fix my bottleneck as its my computer. Service, Router, and wiring/location are great

:)

Swaglife81, Jul 25, 2016

2. Network speed issue with windows 10 build 10.0.16299.125

Robert,

Thank you for the reply.

The issue I am having is with the wired connection. Wireless is working fine.

I am not getting anywhere near the 1 Gigabit speed that AT&T is providing to the 1 Gigabit port on the router. This is only with the Windows 10 (build 10.0.16299.125).

I believe the issue is with build 10.0.16299.125 as I get 700mbps - 900mbps speeds when booting on a Linux thumb drive. This confirms that the AT&T fiber and router are
    at the 1 Gigabit speed that I pay for. It also confirms that the NIC is operating correctly.

My brother has AT&T Gigabit fiber at his home and is getting 750mbps - 850mbps speeds. He has Win 10 Pro (build 10.0.10586) installed. His wife is only getting speeds
    in the 350mbps range on her ethernet connected laptop which has the same build as I PC ( 10.0.16299).

I am not having any issues with connectivity or dropped connections. I just cannot get the speed that I should be getting when running the Win 10 (10.0.16299.125) build.

MichaelDeMeo, Jul 25, 2016
  3. nl-Mike Win User
    File transfer from pc to NAS slow and/or failing (Windows 10)

Hello,

I have a weird problem on Windows 10 (i think it was since the creators fall update, that i didn't have with Windows 7/8 or early Windows 10 versions. This is the situation:

I have a NAS (WD Mycloud) which always has a wired gigabit connection to my router.

I have a laptop with Windows 10 (version 1709) which i can connect to the router through gigabit ethernet or wireless N (stable 300mbps).

Both the laptop and the NAS have a static ip.

I connect to the NAS share as a mapped drive on my laptop and use copy/paste (no cutting) to transfer files with explorer.

In the past transferring files from my laptop to my NAS went super fast with stable speeds which you would expect from a wired gigabit or wireless N connection. But now i have a problem with transferring files to my NAS because this only get speeds highly
    fluctuating between 0 and 6 MB/s and most often dropping to 0 and timing out and failing. This occurs both with the wired gigabit and the wireless N connection.

The weird thing is that when i transfer files the other way around (from my NAS to my laptop) i do get the expected stable speeds (101 MB/s on wired gigabit and 27 MB/s on wireless N). Also uploading to the internet works just fine so it only applies to
    the local connection tot my NAS.

So this seems to be a LAN upload speed problem or maybe something with the disk writing speed from laptop to NAS.

I have tried many things already:

Reinstalled NIC’s and drivers

Played around with various NIC settings

Played around with various router settings

Played around with various NAS settings

Disabled QoS

Disabled Windows RDC feature

Disabled netsh tcp auto-tuning service

Disabled all antivirus and firewall protection

Nothing solves it. This is a very annoying issue because the only workaround for me is tranferring files to a USB stick and then plugging that USB stick in my NAS.

Does anyone have any idea what the cause may be?

nl-Mike, Jul 25, 2016
  4. Want to upgrade wired/wireless to match 1 gigabit speeds

AmericanPharaoh, Jul 25, 2016
  5. tracit99 Win User
    Looks like based on system specs your only options are the USB dongle or an AC mini half card. I have no experience with USB dongles and cannot provide a recommendation. I do have experience with AC mini half card and you should be made aware that not all cards will work in your laptop. The problem is due to the BIOS in the laptop. Many manufactures include what is called a Whitelist of acceptable hardware and store it in the BIOS. I ran it to this when upgrading my seven years old HP dv7-1444us laptop with an Intel 3160ac mini half card. On reboot I got a warning about incompatible hardware and to remove and restart. I eventually found a third party BIOS mod with the Whitelist removed. This is not a solution that I would recommend but I did get the Intel 3160ac to work. So just be forewarned. Your best bet at this point is to investigate the USB dongles.

tracit99, Jul 25, 2016
  6. AmericanPharaoh, Jul 25, 2016
  7. NO GO for you Bro..
    even you put a faster AC WLAN card.. your computer cant handle it..
    Use Ethernet for faster connection. No matter what Kind of WLAN Card you will Apply.. It wont be greater than Ethernet

manish9009, Jul 27, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Want to upgrade wired/wireless to match 1 gigabit speeds

It will never happen. Because of how packets are sent and received, you will never reach a continuous Gigabyte speed. Your burst rate may top out close to 1gbps, but it will never be that all of the time, since not every packet is going to be the same size or not be sent or received without some kind of CRC issue.

Also it matters what the WAN to LAN, CPU, RAM for the Gateway. All of that can be checked out at Small Net Builder.

bro67, Jul 27, 2016
  9. Looks like it's time for you to buy a new PC which can handle the high speed Internet you're looking for.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Jul 27, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    The White List has been done away with. I use the Intel 7260 Dual Band mini-PCIe on both laptops in my house.

bro67, Jul 28, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    That will never happen, since there is no wireless device out there that will do a continuous stream of 1gbps. The packets vary on what kind of data is in them, along with if the CRC is correct when the packets are sent back and forth. Even with a Wired Connection, you will never get lab result speeds, no matter how hard that you try.

The OP laptop will do just fine. Gig service is great if you are moving files or playing games through a Wired Connection. Majority of streaming media devices and game systems only use a 10/100 Ethernet Connection or Wireless-N Single channel.

bro67, Jul 28, 2016
  12. Berton Win User
    To add a practical note: Gigabit is for the Ethernet/Wired connection between the Computer and the Router for an internal/LAN Local Area Network, actually has nothing to do with the Internet service/speed you are paying your ISP/Internet Service Provider for. Fastest I've seen advertised in my area is 60Mbps, I only get 5Mbps for my $50 but it is quite sufficient, much better than the 33.6Kbps I got with dial-up 20 years ago. The only thing faster is Cable service at 30-60Mbps but it comes at a higher cost. The term WAN/Wide Area Network is where the connection leaves your control or goes 'out there', lets you connect to devices in some other place, which is essentially the same as the Internet [connecting to other computers/servers].

Berton, Jul 28, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

Berton never stated that it had anything to do with Internet to the WAN. Majority of Consumer and ISP leased Gateways have slow CPU's and not enough RAM. You will never see a sustained speed equal to 1gig. Majority of Gateway equipment and 10/100/1000 can do a burst up to maybe 950 and that is about it.

For Wifi, you need a adapter with multiple antennas. Those that do Wireless-ac use two antennas that allow up to 400 to 600 mbps. Wireless-n cards can do up to 150 mbps per antenna. Sustained will never be high enough to ever get what the ISP's are marketing as Gig Speed.

Consumers are getting sucked in thinking that the gateway that the providers give out are powerful enough to actually give you what an Enterprise or Small Business router will do.

As for 20 years ago, dial up used software to manage CRC and 33.6k. The actual device was just a dumb device until you installed software for it to run.

Cable is not faster than what is being used. WAN does not mean going outside of your control. It can also be used to interconnect multiple routers on a large complex for buildings to have their own private network.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Want to upgrade wired/wireless to match 1 gigabit speeds - Similar Threads - upgrade wired wireless

2. Headphones not working: wireless and wired

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphones not working: wireless and wired: a long time ago i unplugged my headphones form the audio jack and then after i replugged them i couldnt hear anything, i restarted, shut down, updated audio drivers, ran windows diagnostics, ran wystem file checker but it still doesnt work. strange thing is its the same thing...
  3. Headphones not working: wireless and wired

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headphones not working: wireless and wired: a long time ago i unplugged my headphones form the audio jack and then after i replugged them i couldnt hear anything, i restarted, shut down, updated audio drivers, ran windows diagnostics, ran wystem file checker but it still doesnt work. strange thing is its the same thing...
  4. gigabit speed issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    gigabit speed issue: Hello,I have gigabit internet. I am supposed to get 1000 Mbps download and somewhere closer to 900 in terms of upload. In my first speed test, I was getting 300 Mbps download and 5 Mbps in upload. I managed to get 920 Mbps download but I only managed to bump up my upload to...
  5. Unstable Gigabit Wired Connection

Unstable Gigabit Wired Connection: Hi, I use my old PC as a Plex Media Server. The mainboard has a gigabit ethernet port (Realtek RTL8111GR) which worked with no problems until these last 3 weeks, which drops the connection to 100mbps or even 10mbps. When it's the latter (and more often happens lately), it...
  6. Ethernet Adapter support for Gigabit Speeds

Ethernet Adapter support for Gigabit Speeds: Hi there, I am thinking of upgrading to fibre to get gigabit speeds around (950/500ish) And I am wondering how can I confirm that my network card (via ethernet) will actually support gigagbit speeds? I have checked these two settings here, and the network card actually has...
  7. CPU speed and memory speed match?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU speed and memory speed match?: Would upgrading to a faster DDR4 increase the speed of processing? CPU: Intel(R) Coffee Lake Pentium(R) Gold G5600 CPU @ 3.90GHz Motherboard: ASRock B360 Pro4 Socket 1151 Memory: 16GB DDR4 KHX2400C 171798
  8. Not getting gigabit speeds, and it's on my end

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not getting gigabit speeds, and it's on my end: About a week ago, I upgraded my internet plan from 300mbps to the gigabit plan. I'm still getting around 350mbps download. I had a Comcast tech out here, and he confirmed for me that I am indeed getting gigabit speeds. He plugged in his laptop to my modem directly, and was...
  9. wired to wireless connect

wired to wireless connect: currently I have two ISPs. one that I've connected to "internet" via ethernet wire. I have a second ISP that I can connect to wirelessly. How do I change from the current wired connection to the wireless connection, Win 10 64....
  10. Laptop wireless speed much higher than wired

Laptop wireless speed much higher than wired: Did the anniversary update on my HP DV 6700 entertainment laptop, took over 2 days...... checked wired speed only 7mbs, but wireless 27 Mbps have a pc on same router and wired is 27mbps. have uninstalled / reinstalled network card from laptop but didn't help....tried...