Windows 10: Wanting to set network up from scratch as all settings messed up

Discus and support Wanting to set network up from scratch as all settings messed up in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a small network of 2 laptops (wireless) and 1 desktop (ethernet) PC, all are running Windows 10 Home 64bit with all current non-insider updates.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ColMac, Aug 3, 2019.

1. ColMac Win User

Wanting to set network up from scratch as all settings messed up

I have a small network of 2 laptops (wireless) and 1 desktop (ethernet) PC, all are running Windows 10 Home 64bit with all current non-insider updates. Also clean of virus etc.

I have had periodic issues about running a home network, and I must have tried several dozen web sites with advice as to what services to ensure are running, what permissions are needed as well as what network discovery settings etc etc I'm sure that with all this mucking around, not all needed services etc may be running on each one.

Most are not well written, frequently failing to make it clear which device you should be doing a task on etc. I've also used the Win10 "Network reset" on all 3 devices with no real success. This step I've tried at least 5 or 6 times.

I'm now at the stage where I can see 1 laptop from my desktop, but not the other, but I cant access files.

What I need is to reset all permissions, services, network settings etc to default then start again with a web site that is clearly and well written, and describes all that needs to be set or unset.

Does anyone have any suggestions. From what I've seen any articles Ive found in the forum are mainly looing at specific points, not the whole picture.

I'm quite happy working through instructions, I just want a good clear explanation

:)

ColMac, Aug 3, 2019
  2. Mussels Win User

Setting up a network

in order to get permission, you need to add a user to the shares list for that folder.

Keep in mind for you to add a user name (say, Kurgan) that username must exist on both PC's *and* have the same password on both.

99% of people who set up network sharing simply set folders as read only (media folders, games etc) and then set up a "dump" folder with full access, so when you want to paste files you do it in there.

Yes its a big issue with the security, i lost every EXE file on a 400GB drive once due to a nasty virus attacking my network shares from a housemates PC.

Mussels, Aug 3, 2019
  3. Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings

Hi Rik,

We value your time and so we want to avoid repeating troubleshooting steps that were already performed. Kindly share with us the troubleshooting steps that you have done from your end.

In the mean time, we suggest that you run the Network troubleshooter to diagnose and fix network problems. Refer to the steps below:

• Click on Start.
    • Click on Settings.
    • Click on Network & Internet.
    • Under Change your network settings, click on Network troubleshooter.

Your reply is most important for us to assist you accordingly.

Patricia Yu, Aug 3, 2019
  4. Wanting to set network up from scratch as all settings messed up

How to set up wireless network connection?

Hello everyone...

I want to connect wireless network connection to my laptop. But I don't know why I am unable to do it.. I am getting some error. I think some configuration setting kind of error. Can you please provide me some steps so that I can get my work done.
    Thankx!!

ashleysimpson052, Aug 3, 2019
Thema:

Wanting to set network up from scratch as all settings messed up

1. Wanting to set network up from scratch as all settings messed up - Similar Threads - Wanting set network

2. display settings got all messed up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    display settings got all messed up: [ATTACH] i was playing valorant and i pressed some weird button that made a beep noise, after that a weird tab popped out but i ignored it since i was mid match. I tabbed back out to see my display in grids and even my discord and browser is in white rectangular grids with...
  3. Messed up display settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Messed up display settings: Hi there,recently i was trying to set up dual screens on my computer, when i accidentally enabled some setting. I was on the display settings page, and the option i enabled may have been ¨duplicate screen¨, but im not sure. After i did it, i am basically unable to use my...
  4. Messed up Administrator settings.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Messed up Administrator settings.: I believe I messed up my administrator settings. There was a file that would not delete because I needed administrator privileges even though I was an admin. So I made the user account an admin and it worked. Now, when I try to move pictures or folders into the ones I've been...
  5. set up a network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    set up a network: Hi, Can somebody clarify my 2 doubts. 1. is it possible to configure 2 access points on my windows10 laptop? 2, while trying to set up a network through Network and Sharing Centre-->set up a new network-->choose wireless router or access point you want to configure...
  6. Audio settings messed up?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio settings messed up?: So, my max volume on my pc was insanely loud in the past, which was really nice when i wanted to listen to really loud music or something, but now the 100% volume is what it used to be at like... 25%. I do NOT like this. Was there a recent windows update that changed this, or...
  7. Settings messed up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings messed up: My system settings reset for some reason and can’t restore them. This has caused me to not be able to connect to any WiFi, etc. I need help ASAP since i cant use my computer properly...
  8. Network set up

Network set up: I am trying to connect a local network with two computers that run with two different OS. I am trying to access the one that runs on W10 with the one that runs on W7. I tried lifting the firewall to connect but it still doesn't connect to the network. Could anyone provide a...
  9. network set up

network set up: Hi, I have 2 desktop and 1 laptop on the same network using windows 10 on my home network. I have what i will call pc 1 that has a printer wired to it that is not wireless at all. I would like to have my other pc's be able to print from it but i am not sure how to set it up...
  10. Settings Menu messed up.

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings Menu messed up.: As the title says, many of my settings pages are messed up. Any ideas? Tried in place repair-fails. I`m on latest build. 66296