Windows 10: Warning - Do NOT use norton with windows 10

Discus and support Warning - Do NOT use norton with windows 10 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have tried to use Norton a few days before. I installed it normally and I started to run a virus scan. The result said that there is some virus in my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by hkgabriellee, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Warning - Do NOT use norton with windows 10

I have tried to use Norton a few days before. I installed it normally and I started to run a virus scan. The result said that there is some virus in my computer's C:/ drive and asked if I want to remove it. I allowed it to remove those virus infected files. Next day, I try to turn on my computer, it won't login, it keeps sucked in the login screen with the loading icon.
    This is a warning for every users. Please do NOT use Norton with windows 10.

:)

hkgabriellee, Jan 2, 2015

2. Without any warning suddenly my files are being put on sharepoint, also being uploaded to dropbox and synching, all in the last 2 days since the latest upgrade to WIndows 10

Without any warning suddenly my files are being put on sharepoint, also being uploaded to dropbox and synching, all in the last 2 days since the latest upgrade to Windows 10. I don't want any files uploaded. I do not know where they are being uploaded and
    who can view them.I do not know how to access these files to delete them. I am again horrified. While it is doing this it is also incredibly slow if I want to click on anything on the internet. How this helps creativity I can not imagine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

irritated with windows 10, Jan 2, 2015
  3. windows 10 and norton

hi, i uninstalled norton and run windows defender "full scan" nothing found, so i re-installed norton, still same warning.

welsh1956dog, Jan 2, 2015
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Warning - Do NOT use norton with windows 10

Welcome to the forum.

It is always best to use an AV product that the supplier has tested and advertised as compatible with your OS. Such a product must do things that are very system unfriendly by all normal standards. This makes compatibility a more difficult thing than for normal applications.

This normally isn't possible with Windows 10. You have to take the chance that there will be serious issues and be prepared to deal with them. That is one of the reasons why Microsoft recommends the Windows 10 preview for advanced users only.

Symantec does not advertise any of it's products as being compatible with Windows 10. It is very difficult to assure compatibility with an OS that isn't even finished. I expect that when Windows 10 reaches the consumer preview stage Symantec will take a serious look at compatibility issues. There is far more to an operating system than just the user interface.

LMiller7, Jan 2, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    By in large I just stick with MS defender for now. It's been tested with Win10TP and I can live with that for now. As for any other AV, we'll have to wait till the makers get to test their products with Win10 before we can use them.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Jan 2, 2015
  6. Yep if it's not listed in the apps store I wouldn't bother with it and then most of them I wouldn't bother with
    Defender and mbam premium and also superantispyware pro are good for me pretty much what I use for win-7 too,
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Jan 2, 2015
  7. When 3rd party anti virus programs will work with W-10 is up to the creator of the anti virus. I do believe they are all working on making their program work with W-10. I wouldn't try to use such a complicated program on a test operating system until it has been approved.
    I use the built in Defender. I took a chance and installed Malwarebytes Pro and it works just fine.

It might be helpful to look here.

Windows 10 Preview Tested Apps

Layback Bear, Jan 4, 2015
  8. CountMike New Member

Had many problems with Avast and Bitdefender but AVG seems to be very compatible, not a sign of any problem. One caution though, turn protection off if doing System Restore, that goes for Win8/8.1 too.

CountMike, Jan 6, 2015
  9. RolandJS Win User
    Windows 10 also has the built-in firewall, correct? Best to not use 3rd party firewalls either, correct?

RolandJS, Jan 9, 2015
  10. LMiller7 Win User
    Windows 10 has a built in firewall which for most purposes is quite adequate. Do dot use a firewall that is not advertised as being compatible with Windows 10.

LMiller7, Jan 9, 2015
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

Norton was a joke long before W10 was even THOUGHT OF. !! You don't need ANY A/V on W10 other than the built in Windows defender.

The best defence in any case is YOU the USER.

Adding other modules to the windows kernel on an OS that will probably be changed several times before final release isn't a good idea either.

If you don't trust Ms Windows defender on W10 then simply run W10 as a VM and don't connect it to the internet.

At consumer level there's NOTHING whether paid or free in the AV world that is better than Windows defender. That doesn't mean to say either that Windows defender is the best either - but things change so fast that any reports comparing various systems are LONG OUT OF DATE by the time they are published. At least Windows defender gets updated daily or even more frequently if Ms has to rush out a special fix.

A New virus can appear at ANY time so forget comparison web sites for AV software.

In any case these days the emphasis is on online scamming - which can't be protected against by software.

One thing puzzles me though -- why on earth do you need MBAM as well as Windows defender (or Malware bytes). Malware doesn't always (or rarely these days) means things like viruses.

Malware can be a perfectly innocent Windows program that throws up zillions of popups - if the program appears as a legitimate Windows application how does software like MBAM know it's malware rather than a perfectly ordinary Windows program.

You can better block programs from calling up IE for example by setting rules in the perfectly decent Windows Firewall. IMO that's the way to do it. Only allow legit programs to access the Internet - for example I have some stock tracking programs etc.

A program that calls IE to access the Internet should be blocked unless you know what it's doing - Malwarebytes isn't any good for those types of programs but relies on a database. Preventing Internet access by any but special known applications is easy enough and should be done in your Firewall - and it will always work as it's a Windows Feature (Windows Firewall).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 14, 2015
  12. In the process of changing code during development of W-10 I believe that only Microsoft could keep up with all the changes to make a working anti virus. A 3rd party anti virus company would go bonkers trying to keep up at this stage of the game.

Layback Bear, Jan 14, 2015
  13. LMiller7 Win User

Exactly. That is in the nature of an OS that is in active development. And that is why Symantec and other developers of AV software are probably doing little about compatibility at this stage. When the OS attains the stability of consumer preview Symantec and others will look into this, but only to be prepared when the OS is officially released. Then the product will be extensively tested with the new OS and any necessary changes made. Then a new version will be released and advertised as compatible with Windows 10.

Modern operating systems are designed to give the illusion to applications that they are running alone on the computer. Most applications have no knowledge of what other processes are running and what they might be doing. For normal applications that is all good.

But AV applications are not "normal". Their purpose is to detect and deal with malicious software that is using every dirty trick in the book (and probably a few new ones) to evade detection. Modern malware has invaded system address space, normally the exclusive domain of device drivers and the operating system kernel. This address space is strictly off limits to normal applications and enforced by the OS.

Simple file scanning is no longer adequate to detect modern malware. AV products must use highly advanced techniques and go into system address space where malware resides. To do this the AV product will require detailed internal knowledge of the specific OS it is running under. Doing that with an OS under active development is almost impossible and at the least highly impractical. That an AV product might crash while attempting this in an unknown OS is hardly surprising.

LMiller7, Jan 15, 2015
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Exactly. That is in the nature of an OS that is in active development. And that is why Symantec and other developers of AV software are probably doing little about compatibility at this stage. When the OS attains the stability of consumer preview Symantec and others will look into this, but only to be prepared when the OS is officially released. Then the product will be extensively tested with the new OS and any necessary changes made. Then a new version will be released and advertised as compatible with Windows 10.

Modern operating systems are designed to give the illusion to applications that they are running alone on the computer. Most applications have no knowledge of what other processes are running and what they might be doing. For normal applications that is all good.

But AV applications are not "normal". Their purpose is to detect and deal with malicious software that is using every dirty trick in the book (and probably a few new ones) to evade detection. Modern malware has invaded system address space, normally the exclusive domain of device drivers and the operating system kernel. This address space is strictly off limits to normal applications and enforced by the OS.

Simple file scanning is no longer adequate to detect modern malware. AV products must use highly advanced techniques and go into system address space where malware resides. To do this the AV product will require detailed internal knowledge of the specific OS it is running under. Doing that with an OS under active development is almost impossible and at the least highly impractical. That an AV product might crash while attempting this in an unknown OS is hardly surprising. Hi there.

The changing nature of the OS as you point out is an almost perfect reason NOT to use any 3rd party AV on an OS like W10 which has already has a built in security.

Windows code is proprietary so AV designers either have to rely on "Dis-assembly" or "Reverse engineer" the code or rely on Ms to publish the appropriate (if any) API's.

An OS like Linux where the source is freely available is much easier to design decent AV's for - although of course it is in general a more secure OS in the first place -- and Linux especially if you use well known distros like Red Hat (CENTOS / Fedora) or SUSE (OpenSuse) usually have a pretty robust firewall built in (you have to enable it of course).

My take on AV and Windows is that for consumers 3rd party AV software is pretty much DEAD now - it's not necessary, won't always run and by its nature is always behind Ms in fixing any potential viruses going out over the net.

Windows defender plus the firewall is about as safe as its going to get --the rest is up to YOU the user of course not to get scammed, download dubious torrents or visit suspicious clone web sites or open emails with attachments from people or orgins you don't know.

Also don't give out too much info on things like twitter, facebook, skype etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 15, 2015
  15. maranna Win User
    I use Defender with Windows firewall. I also have MBAM. Because I am not proficient enough I cannot maximize the firewall so keep it at Default.
    First, Defender does not scan offline for me -problem I am not deadly concerned about but would like an answer to. SFC fine..
    If you do want Norton, and are a Comcast subscriber it is free and works with Win 10 1607.
    Don't forget there is a firewall in the ISP's router.

maranna, Oct 27, 2016
Thema:

1. Warning - Do NOT use norton with windows 10 - Similar Threads - Warning norton

2. What does this Kernel-PnP Warning in Event Log mean? ?My microphone doesnt work for a game...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does this Kernel-PnP Warning in Event Log mean? ?My microphone doesnt work for a game...: Session "dc3a3596-71e1-45a3-b2ea-39ad5322fe51" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000022 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-this-kernel-pnp-warning-in-event-log/559adb98-d3fd-4eb9-bde4-9f57c3363737
  3. What does this Kernel-PnP Warning in Event Log mean? ?My microphone doesnt work for a game...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What does this Kernel-PnP Warning in Event Log mean? ?My microphone doesnt work for a game...: Session "dc3a3596-71e1-45a3-b2ea-39ad5322fe51" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000022 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-this-kernel-pnp-warning-in-event-log/559adb98-d3fd-4eb9-bde4-9f57c3363737
  4. What does this Kernel-PnP Warning in Event Log mean? ?My microphone doesnt work for a game...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Why do I keep getting a warning that all my files are going to be deleted because I've gone...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why do I keep getting a warning that all my files are going to be deleted because I've gone...: I keep getting a message that says I am over my storage limit, my It says that I've used 1% of my 5GB. I've deleted all of my photos, mostly all of my files and It is still sending me the message despite the fact that I've only used 1% of my storage....
  6. Why do I keep getting a warning that all my files are going to be deleted because I've gone...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do I keep getting a warning that all my files are going to be deleted because I've gone...: I keep getting a message that says I am over my storage limit, my It says that I've used 1% of my 5GB. I've deleted all of my photos, mostly all of my files and It is still sending me the message despite the fact that I've only used 1% of my storage....
  7. Why do I keep getting a warning that all my files are going to be deleted because I've gone...

8. PC keeps crashing with no warning win32kbase.sys 0x3B_C000001D_win32kbase!EnterSharedCrit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC keeps crashing with no warning win32kbase.sys 0x3B_C000001D_win32kbase!EnterSharedCrit: Hello I'm crashing every few days now and the crashes are very random so i can't pinpoint what's going wrong, so I need somehelp here is my minidump i used WinDbg4: kd> !analyze -v******************************************************************************** ** Bugcheck...
  9. PC keeps crashing with no warning win32kbase.sys 0x3B_C000001D_win32kbase!EnterSharedCrit

PC keeps crashing with no warning win32kbase.sys 0x3B_C000001D_win32kbase!EnterSharedCrit: Hello I'm crashing every few days now and the crashes are very random so i can't pinpoint what's going wrong, so I need somehelp here is my minidump i used WinDbg4: kd> !analyze -v******************************************************************************** ** Bugcheck...
  10. Norton warning: Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool does not have a valid...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Norton warning: Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool does not have a valid...: This window popped up a minute ago. Does anyone know if this is a serious problem? What should I do or not do? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/norton-warning-microsoft-windows-malicious/22f78f43-82f5-44c2-936c-501cf137a605"