Windows 10: Warning on default app opening docx file

Discus and support Warning on default app opening docx file in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I upgraded my 8.1 laptop to 10 about 2 weeks ago now. Basically all is OK, but I do run in to quirks here and there. The latest one is that whenever I... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by spokey, Sep 24, 2019.

1. spokey Win User

Warning on default app opening docx file

I upgraded my 8.1 laptop to 10 about 2 weeks ago now. Basically all is OK, but I do run in to quirks here and there.

The latest one is that whenever I dbl-click a .docx (or a .doc) on the desktop or in filemanager, I get the warning below. It nonetheless opens the file correctly. As you can see in the second image, I do have docx associated with word. Thinking I could maybe reset it, I switch it to open via Adobe Acrobat, opened one file, then switched it back to word. I did not get a similar error with acrobat, but when switched back, once again the error shows up with word.

I also tried the filemanager "Open With" context menu, selected wordpad and checked the "always open with". Then dbl-clicked to open with no error. Switched back using the context "open with". Again chosing Word and checking the "always" button. The error is back.

I do not have a similar problem with excel. Haven't tried PowerPoint or Access as I don't have any files readily available to use.

So how can I reset whatever thinks Word is no good?

= = = = = =
    update - Just realized that it is only the first 'open'. If I open a docx (or doc), I get the warning. If I leave Word open and dbl-click a second file, I do not get the warning.

:)

spokey, Sep 24, 2019

2. Warning on default app opening docx file

Hi spokey

Have you seen this tutorial?

Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10

doc and docx are not listed but Brink says he will build a file for what you need (see tutorial)

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 24, 2019
  3. spokey Win User

I upgraded my 8.1 laptop to 10 about 2 weeks ago now. Basically all is OK, but I do run in to quirks here and there.

The latest one is that whenever I dbl-click a .docx (or a .doc) on the desktop or in filemanager, I get the warning below. It nonetheless opens the file correctly. As you can see in the second image, I do have docx associated with word. Thinking I could maybe reset it, I switch it to open via Adobe Acrobat, opened one file, then switched it back to word. I did not get a similar error with acrobat, but when switched back, once again the error shows up with word.

I also tried the filemanager "Open With" context menu, selected wordpad and checked the "always open with". Then dbl-clicked to open with no error. Switched back using the context "open with". Again chosing Word and checking the "always" button. The error is back.

I do not have a similar problem with excel. Haven't tried PowerPoint or Access as I don't have any files readily available to use.

So how can I reset whatever thinks Word is no good?

= = = = = =
    update - Just realized that it is only the first 'open'. If I open a docx (or doc), I get the warning. If I leave Word open and dbl-click a second file, I do not get the warning.

spokey, Sep 24, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

If all the file types that support opening with Word 2013 are already set to have it as the default app and actually open with it, then checking the box should hopefully stop the message.

Brink, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Warning on default app opening docx file - Similar Threads - Warning default app

2. How to remove the default app that opens files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove the default app that opens files?: I want to remove Google Chrome from automatically opening this .pak file I need for a game. Any way I can remove it somehow? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-the-default-app-that-opens-files/ebcb9bc3-e120-44a5-ad96-12d8f1cd89ba
  3. How to remove the default app that opens files?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove the default app that opens files?: I want to remove Google Chrome from automatically opening this .pak file I need for a game. Any way I can remove it somehow? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-the-default-app-that-opens-files/ebcb9bc3-e120-44a5-ad96-12d8f1cd89ba
  4. need to find how to get to .docx file to change my default app

in Windows 10 Customization
    need to find how to get to .docx file to change my default app: need to find how to get to .docx file to change my default app https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-find-how-to-get-to-docx-file-to-change-my/3e9d5122-fb32-4efa-a244-c0e772feb76f
  5. Removing default app for opening files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing default app for opening files: Ive been having this problem where i had a program keep opening because i accidently chose that program to open the file for default, although i dont want a program at all opening the file. any help is appreciated...
  6. downloaded files no longer open in their default apps

downloaded files no longer open in their default apps: When receiving downloaded files, they no longer open in their default apps if applicable, but go directly to downloads directory. eg PDF files no longer give you the option of opening in Adobe Reader....
  7. Changing default app for opening a csv file

Changing default app for opening a csv file: I cannot set excel as the default app to open csv files. I have gone through the process of trying to change the default in windows 10. The only options are notepad, wordpad or word. I have tried looking on microsoft 365 website for other apps and have failed to solve this...
  8. Worried about a .docx file I opened

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Worried about a .docx file I opened: Recently I opened a .docx file that I probably shouldn't have. I've done scans with Bitdefender, Malwarebytes and full Windows defender scans, they all came up clean. I permanently deleted the file before I could check if there was a .exe extension. I wasn't prompted to...
  9. Opening .docx and .xlsx

Opening .docx and .xlsx: If I click on one of these files types in Windows Explorer is crashes and goes to 'Not Responding' every time. I have repaired, reset, reinstalled, sfc /scannow. Nothing works. Come on Microsoft, what is the issue here. I have seen many, many people asking for a solution...
  10. Default apps for opening files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default apps for opening files: How do you change the programs/apps which appear on the drop-down lists next to each file extension type in the "Choose default apps by file type" menu? I'm trying to associate the Windows Photos app with the .webp extension which Google is now saving many of my pictures...