Windows 10: Was connected to a Network that I didn't connect to

Discus and support Was connected to a Network that I didn't connect to in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey, a few minutes ago I noticed in my Windows Explorer that I was connected to a network names "SKL-MOBIL". I didn't connect to this network myself,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by skoogs, May 2, 2016.

1. skoogs Win User

Was connected to a Network that I didn't connect to

Hey,
    a few minutes ago I noticed in my Windows Explorer that I was connected to a network names "SKL-MOBIL". I didn't connect to this network myself, however and I don't know who it belongs to or why I was connected to it. When I tried to acces it I got an error message stating that the network path couldn't be found. Then the network suddenly disappeared.
    Something similar happened a few weeks ago, my PC was suddenly connected to a network by the exact same name. That time I just disconnected and didn't really think about it though. Did someone remotely access my PC? Should I be concerned? How do I make sure something like this doesn't happen again?
    Thanks in advance!

:)

skoogs, May 2, 2016
  2. mccob Win User

Unable to connect to wifi that i was able to previously

Did not help, still unable to connect to my wifi

mccob, May 2, 2016
  3. mccob Win User
    Unable to connect to wifi that i was able to previously

A few days ago I started up my computer and saw that I was not connected. "Forgot" the connection, reconnected, put in password, and tried to connect. Got a message saying Can't connect to this network. I tried diagnosing it to no avail, ipconfig /release
    (and other commands), and resetting the router. If anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it.

mccob, May 2, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Do you have these settings turned off?

Was connected to a Network that I didn't connect to [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, May 2, 2016
  5. skoogs Win User
    My PC doesn't have Wi-Fi, I'm connected to my router with a LAN cable, so these options don't even show up for me.
    I'm talking about my Desktop PC at home, I've never taken it anywhere else. So this couldn't have been a public hotspot or something.

skoogs, May 2, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Does your router have WiFi turned on?
    Also, are these settings turned off?

Was connected to a Network that I didn't connect to [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, May 2, 2016
  7. skoogs Win User
    My router does have Wi-Fi turned on. Those settings were turned on on my PC, I disabled them now, thanks.

Also I don't know if this is just odd timing but my connectivity was really weird just now. It showed me that I was connected to the router and should have internet access, but when I tried to open a page in Google chrome it said that my device is offline. Usually when this happens it just says that I'm not connected to the Internet. But this time it showed my PC as being connected but without internet access.

skoogs, May 2, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

You can also turn on MAC filtering on your router. You add only the computers' MAC addresses that you want allowed to connect to your network and all others get denied.

NavyLCDR, May 2, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    Navy LCDR MAC filtering is not going to help the OP in this case. It is one of two things. They are either infected with malware, or they have some mobile device that is on the Network, that was manufactured by SKL-Mobile. Usually cheap Chinese devices use that brand name for their chipset MAC ID when Windows matches the MAC ID with a possible FCC registered Mfg. name.

bro67, May 2, 2016
  10. skoogs Win User
    I have a OnePlus X connected to the router, could that be it? It's a Chinese smartphone. If it was that though, shouldn't it show up on my PC at all times?

skoogs, May 2, 2016
  11. skoogs Win User
    Now my PC is playing audio files in the background that are NOT being caused by me. Earlier today my PC played the windows error sound, but no error message showed up. Just now it played the Skype log-off sound, even though I was still logged in to Skype. What the hell is going there?

skoogs, May 2, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    The playing of audio files in the background is a malware issue. See the following post to clean your system. READ RUN ME FIRST Malware Removal Guide (incl. spyware, virus, trojan, hijacker) | MajorGeeks.Com Support Forums

Follow the steps to the T. Do not skip any of them. If the device has been rooted or in Developer Options and has been allowed to be connected without restriction, the device can become a carrier for malware. If you do not have any type of Anti-Malware software on the Android device, I would suggest doing so.

bro67, May 2, 2016
  13. skoogs Win User

I actually reset my Windows 10 system earlier today, without deleting my personal files though. So all of the apps have been deinstalled.
    Will that be sufficient or should I still follow through with the steps you linked?

skoogs, May 2, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    You really did it the hard way. It can always come back if the malware is sitting on the Android Device, waiting for the chance to be plugged into your computer and be reactivated. I use Bit Defender on my Android Devices. There are others out there that also do Root Kit scans, along with protecting your information, if you pay extra.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Was connected to a Network that I didn't connect to - Similar Threads - Was connected Network

2. Network stuck at "Connecting" or "Can't Connect To This Network".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network stuck at "Connecting" or "Can't Connect To This Network".: The title says it all, but i have read other problem submissions and solutions but none of them work. This includes resetting my network, using device manager, using command prompt, and pretty much every other solution posted out there. ...there.If it helps, it says "Checking...
  3. Network stuck at "Connecting" or "Can't Connect To This Network".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network stuck at "Connecting" or "Can't Connect To This Network".: The title says it all, but i have read other problem submissions and solutions but none of them work. This includes resetting my network, using device manager, using command prompt, and pretty much every other solution posted out there. ...there.If it helps, it says "Checking...
  4. connecting to the network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    connecting to the network: How can I connect to Internet using a Bluetooth device's network connection??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-to-the-network/59c521fc-10aa-418a-a399-e58f9bc6f81c
  5. Network connection

Network connection: Am running W10 Home 64 bit on a Dell 14" laptop which is approx. 4 months old. Can't connect to my Seagate NAS drive or brand new Canon printer via WiFi. Have several Android devices which connect to both with no probs. Plse help....
  6. no network connection but connected to internet

no network connection but connected to internet: Windows 10 Home Version 1803 I recently changed my ISP. Now I'm connected to the internet, but Microsoft apps/app store/updates and such say I'm not connected. I've searched the forums and tried every fix I can find. I've reset the network adapter and tried updating the...
  7. Network Connections

Network Connections: Hi, I am running the latest version of Windows 10 and I cannot get my machines to connect on my home network. I have 2 desktop machines and one laptop. The two desktop machines are connected to my Router by ethernet cables and my laptop is connected by Wifi. In the...
  8. Network and Connectivity

Network and Connectivity: After updating to windows 10 1803, I have experienced some issues. I cannot seem to connect to any network. My wi-fi says connected and secured but no page will be loaded. Even pages that do not need internet connection like localhost://phpmyadmin do not work anymore. Funny...
  9. Network connection

Network connection: I've had to add a new network to the house, but it won't come up on my available networks list? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/network-connection/0e83b044-cd2c-4754-a41c-4bbadc0df069
  10. Missing connection in "Network Connections"

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing connection in "Network Connections": Have a plain vanilla Windows 10 desktop, upgraded from 8.1 Fake Microsoft tech got in and screwed things up. Owner pulled the plug before too much was done. Got it cleaned up but lost the Network Connection. Device Manager shows Adapter "Realtec PCIe FE Family Controller"...