Windows 10: Was there an update to the Win 10 file structure , recently ?

Discus and support Was there an update to the Win 10 file structure , recently ? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I was working on building a new computer for my brother, that he hoped would still be a win 7 / Win 10 dual boot. The issue he had with his old PC was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JohnW63, Sep 23, 2020.

1. JohnW63 Win User

Was there an update to the Win 10 file structure , recently ?

I was working on building a new computer for my brother, that he hoped would still be a win 7 / Win 10 dual boot. The issue he had with his old PC was that if he opened Win 7, the first thing it would often do was to decide things were broken and scan and "fix" all the partitions if found, it's own and the Win 10 partitions. It got to the point that the Win 10 drive would not longer boot. Just the dots chasing each other for ever. I thought it was his drive or his motherboard having issues. Then, I booted into my old Win 7 partition, which was my old drive until I installed a Win 10 one. I haven't booted Win 7 in quite some time. When I did... it started the same thing. When it was done, it finally booted, but when I restarted in Win 10, it failed and had to to a self repair. It's been fine since, but seeing that happen on two computers makes me wonder. Has the partition or file structure changed this year to the point Win 7 can't work with it ?

:)

JohnW63, Sep 23, 2020
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Sep 23, 2020
  3. eidairaman1, Sep 23, 2020
  4. 95Viper Win User

95Viper, Sep 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Was there an update to the Win 10 file structure , recently ? - Similar Threads - Was update file

2. File Structure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Structure: Evidently, I am not alone in trying to understand Windows 11 file structure. I have OneDrive for Cloud storage. Took me a while to realize that "myname-Personal" file was the OneCloud file. I'm OK with this now for OneCloud, but I am thoroughly confused about the file...
  3. File Structure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Structure: Evidently, I am not alone in trying to understand Windows 11 file structure. I have OneDrive for Cloud storage. Took me a while to realize that "myname-Personal" file was the OneCloud file. I'm OK with this now for OneCloud, but I am thoroughly confused about the file...
  4. Recent Win 10 Change of File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recent Win 10 Change of File Explorer: Win 10, File Explorer used to auto update when a new file was added to the folder, Now the file does not update until you change folder then return. Was this a recent change. in Win 10? Win XP had a command to update folder display, but I do not see such a command?I ended up...
  5. Recent Win 10 Change of File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recent Win 10 Change of File Explorer: Win 10, File Explorer used to auto update when a new file was added to the folder, Now the file does not update until you change folder then return. Was this a recent change. in Win 10? Win XP had a command to update folder display, but I do not see such a command?I ended up...
  6. Recent Win 10 Change of File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 filing structure

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 filing structure: Can someone please explain the relationship between the various places from which photos may be accessed, eg This PC/Pictures or C/Users/John/Pictures? It seems to me that the contents of each are not identical. 158196
  8. File structure of windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File structure of windows 10: I am so frustrated by the crazy windows file structure. I tried to transfer all of my photos from my old computer to the new one, but they all ended up in about 6 different locations. Plus my pictures on the old computer are in about 6 different locations too. I don't have...
  9. Is win 10 file/folder structure the same as Win 7 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Is win 10 file/folder structure the same as Win 7 Pro: Just set up or second Win 10 system...intact, activated and operating. Now...I have all photos-doces-etc from old Win 7 Pro on an Acronis 2013 image file Question is...to restore doc-photos etc to new 10 setup...will all "folders" match according ly to the Win 10 and...
  10. Missing recent files created in win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing recent files created in win 10: I recently ran into an issue with windows 10 and had to revert to the windows 7 build. In doing so all of my recent files have disappeared. I think the files are hidden somewhere because the used space on my hard drive has remained the same. I've also tried an undelete...