Windows 10: Was there an update to the Win 10 file structure , recently ?

Discus and support Was there an update to the Win 10 file structure , recently ? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I was working on building a new computer for my brother, that he hoped would still be a win 7 / Win 10 dual boot. The issue he had with his old PC was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JohnW63, Sep 23, 2020.

1. JohnW63 Win User

Was there an update to the Win 10 file structure , recently ?

I was working on building a new computer for my brother, that he hoped would still be a win 7 / Win 10 dual boot. The issue he had with his old PC was that if he opened Win 7, the first thing it would often do was to decide things were broken and scan and "fix" all the partitions if found, it's own and the Win 10 partitions. It got to the point that the Win 10 drive would not longer boot. Just the dots chasing each other for ever. I thought it was his drive or his motherboard having issues. Then, I booted into my old Win 7 partition, which was my old drive until I installed a Win 10 one. I haven't booted Win 7 in quite some time. When I did... it started the same thing. When it was done, it finally booted, but when I restarted in Win 10, it failed and had to to a self repair. It's been fine since, but seeing that happen on two computers makes me wonder. Has the partition or file structure changed this year to the point Win 7 can't work with it ?

:)

JohnW63, Sep 23, 2020
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Sep 23, 2020
  3. eidairaman1, Sep 23, 2020
  4. 95Viper Win User

95Viper, Sep 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Was there an update to the Win 10 file structure , recently ? - Similar Threads - Was update file

2. Windows 10 filing structure

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 filing structure: Can someone please explain the relationship between the various places from which photos may be accessed, eg This PC/Pictures or C/Users/John/Pictures? It seems to me that the contents of each are not identical. 158196
  3. File Tree structure - Document moves from Old OS to Win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Tree structure - Document moves from Old OS to Win 10: If I delete Word docs in one directory, they disappear from another. If I restore them from recycle bin, they restore to both. Ultimately, I'd like to delete the archaic Windows7 subdirectory which was original with the machine, and rely on docs moved to a directory above....
  4. Notepad is not updating Recent Files

Notepad is not updating Recent Files: When I right click on the Notepad icon on my toolbar in Windows 10 it gives me a list of Recent Files, but they are only old files that I have opened, not any new ones that I have created recently, which are the ones I want to find to get back to quickly. I have the same...
  5. File structure of windows 10

File structure of windows 10: I am so frustrated by the crazy windows file structure. I tried to transfer all of my photos from my old computer to the new one, but they all ended up in about 6 different locations. Plus my pictures on the old computer are in about 6 different locations too. I don't have...
  6. Tekla Structure V20 run on Win 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Tekla Structure V20 run on Win 10: Hi, Recently, I change my laptop to asus gl553vd but unfortunatly Tekla structure 3d modeling softawre don't work properly on it. At first I have say, I upgraded my graphic cards both Intel 630 and Invidia 1050 to latest version but when I run program it take long time to...
  7. Win Defender (recent update)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Win Defender (recent update): Last night I shut down and installed updates. Today it installed everything and I noticed windows defender is turned on and sitting in the taskbar now. I normally don't use defender I have Avast however I opened it up and thought I would check it out...It says last scan not...
  8. Win 10 update to build 10586.318: lost recent Word file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 update to build 10586.318: lost recent Word file: Our desktop PC updated itself overnight and rebooted. A Word 2013 file that was open seems to have reverted to a version that is four days old. My wife has been working on it every day and swears blind she was saving it frequently. If so, it seems to have restored an old...
  9. Is win 10 file/folder structure the same as Win 7 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Is win 10 file/folder structure the same as Win 7 Pro: Just set up or second Win 10 system...intact, activated and operating. Now...I have all photos-doces-etc from old Win 7 Pro on an Acronis 2013 image file Question is...to restore doc-photos etc to new 10 setup...will all "folders" match according ly to the Win 10 and...
  10. Missing recent files created in win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing recent files created in win 10: I recently ran into an issue with windows 10 and had to revert to the windows 7 build. In doing so all of my recent files have disappeared. I think the files are hidden somewhere because the used space on my hard drive has remained the same. I've also tried an undelete...