Windows 10: Wat is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?

Discus and support Wat is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; File Explorer has a search box in the upper right. If I type the string ~* then it doesn't just search for filenames starting with tilde. Somehow I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Norman Diamond, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Wat is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?

File Explorer has a search box in the upper right. If I type the string ~* then it doesn't just search for filenames starting with tilde. Somehow I found that I can type file:~"*~*" and it finds all filenames containing a tilde. But tomorrow I might want to search for something else.

However, I cannot find documentation of the syntax of the string that can be typed into the search box. I've found other threads asking the same question but I haven't found an answer.

By the way the reason for today's search is that Windows 10 knew I wasn't active when it did a Windows Update and rebooted, and it kindly provides this simple intuitive friendly method of reopening all the documents I had open in Microsoft Word. But what is the full syntax of the filename search string, and syntaxes of other attributes such as date ranges and other search criteria?

:)

Norman Diamond, Jan 13, 2021

2. File Explorer search syntax

There is no complete, official reference that I've ever found. The closest is this:

Advabced Quert Syntax

But even that is incomplete.

Here are key concepts I've learned:

• If serching for names with special characters normally used in search syntax, the text must me enclosed in quotes:
    Code:
    [b]name:"(8).txt"[/b]
    • But if you try the above with wildcards, you'll be disappointed. For wildcards to be used within quoted strings, you have to use a tilde ':~':
    Code:
    [b]name:~"*(*)*" <- any item with parentheses in name.[/b]
    • To search for empty properties, use empty square brackets:
    Code:
    [b]ext:.jpg DateTaken:[][/b]

Wat is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box? e69bc411-933f-4053-9cef-1d842595619c?upload=true.png

• You can narrow Search Results to a specific folder or sub-folder by including
      FolderName in your search:
    Code:
    [b]ext:.jpg DateTaken:[] FolderName:Charlie[/b]

Wat is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box? aff41611-eed0-41a7-9807-d24885a63023?upload=true.png

I think I've covered the most common needs. Happy to follow-up if you have more spedific questions.

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Jan 13, 2021
  3. pjfarr Win User
    Search syntax for "folders containing specific file types" ??

Thanks Lance. Most of that I know already. I was asking for syntax to specifically find folders containing a certain file type i.e. photos.

For instance a search string that would in effect request: "List all folders on drive D containing photos" or "List all folders on drive D containing videos" and have just the folders containing those files, not the files themselves, listed in the results.

pjfarr, Jan 13, 2021
  4. Wat is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?

File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

Wat is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?

1. Wat is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box? - Similar Threads - Wat syntax search

2. File Explorer search box not accessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer search box not accessible: I've recently installed Windows 11, and I have an issue with the search function of the File Explorer: I can't put my cursor in the Search field if I launch the File Explorer through the default 'File Explorer' shortcut.I found the following workaround: I open the 'old'...
  3. What is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?: File Explorer has a search box in the upper right. If I type the string ~* then it doesn't just search for filenames starting with tilde. Somehow I found that I can type file:~"*~*" and it finds all filenames containing a tilde. But tomorrow I might want to search for...
  4. Bug in File Explorer's search box

in Windows 10 Support
    Bug in File Explorer's search box: I just reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch, wiping the SSD because it was crashing with BSODs and other errors; I was in the 20h2 build, now I'm in the stable 2004 (19041.508). In the new install, as always, I set the search in the File Explorer to "automatically type into...
  5. Bug in File Explorer's search box

in Cortana
    Bug in File Explorer's search box: I just reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch, wiping the SSD because it was crashing with BSODs and other errors; I was in the 20h2 build, now I'm in the stable 2004. In the new install, as always, I set the search in the File Explorer to "automatically type into the search...
  6. File Explorer search box

in Cortana
    File Explorer search box: When I start to type into the 'search' box on File Explorer on the right side of the address bar, if I type at normal speed the first one or two characters do not appear or are overwritten as I type. I have File Explorer set to automatically start in the 'search' box. To...
  7. File Explorer Search box

File Explorer Search box: When I start to type into the 'search' box on File Explorer on the right side of the address bar, if I type at normal speed the first one or two characters do not appear or are overwitten as I type. I have File Explorer set to automatically start in the 'search' box. To...
  8. File Explorer search box not working

File Explorer search box not working: Not able to enter text in either File Explorer or Windows Search boxes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-search-box-not-working/f0ea428d-fc71-482f-a3b8-7173fe2bae59
  9. File Explorer search syntax

File Explorer search syntax: Since local help files have become, for reasons I cannot fathom, anachronistic, I have been looking for current documentation on the use of the built-in file search tools on Windows 10. I'm in need of the full set of syntax and usage. I can't find what I need because,...
  10. searching for a specific string in File Explorer

searching for a specific string in File Explorer: I used to have lots of MP3 files on my network drive that began with "01)." or "02)." etc. I have converted most of them to begin "01" or "02" etc. but now I would like to do a search or "01)." to find any I may have missed but when I search for that it gives me all...