Windows 10: Watch out: A dangerous Windows 10 scam is being circulated online

Discus and support Watch out: A dangerous Windows 10 scam is being circulated online in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; According to Cisco's Talos group scammers impersonating Microsoft have begun sending out emails informing individuals that they are eligible to upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by CountMike, Jul 31, 2015.

1. CountMike New Member

Watch out: A dangerous Windows 10 scam is being circulated online

According to Cisco's Talos group scammers impersonating Microsoft have begun sending out emails informing individuals that they are eligible to upgrade to Windows 10. The email appears to come from an official Microsoft address, L: update@microsoft.com, adding to its authenticity, but don’t be fooled — Microsoft isn’t going to send you an email with Windows 10 as the attachment.

The W10 rollout has been relatively smooth, but there are plenty of users who never received the Get Windows 10 app and are still waiting in line for their turn to update. Unfortunately, scammers have seen how desperate Windows users are for the update, which is why it should come as no surprise that a phishing campaign has been discovered.
    Source:

:)

CountMike, Jul 31, 2015

2. nokia2013claimsprize

There maybe draws involving clicking the Facebook Like button once in a while, but a number of scams in circulation.

scoobyman---01, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Jsssssssss, Jul 31, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

These sorts of scams are quite well publicised - but it is always helpful to KEEP warning people.

I always say to computer users that totally relying on Anti Virus software to protect them is THE WRONG TECHNIQUE these days -- most computer fraud is perpetuated by ways that can't be protected against simply by using SOFTWARE.

You need to use your "NOUS" too. Creating computer viruses is last century's problems (on the whole). Today criminal activity can create a LOT of money at almost ZERO risk and expense by simply duping users who seem too stupid to even stop and THINK what they are doing.

(Computer viruses and malware hasn't gone away completely - but it really is an insignificant problem today compared with scams and frauds currently being perpetrated).

BTW although not a scam check ANYTHING you pay for on the Internet -read the small print -- while Direct debits are hideous enough - those "Recurring Payment" deals are even worse as once you've signed up to one of these it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to get a Bank to cancel it !!!!!. The company you are paying money to has to agree as well and that's virtually impossible in some cases. BEWARE !!!!

So you've been warned. This isn't a Scam but it sure makes it difficult for the consumer who probably is unaware of what he / she is signing up for.

Direct debits also are horrible in that Banks can suddenly take out HUGE amounts without warning --I know plenty of people in England who were paying say around 90 GBP a month for utilities to suddenly get an "end of year" adjustment payment of 800 or more GBP !!! without warning.

Standing order is the best way - that's a FIXED amount that the Bank can only change WITH YOUR PERMISSION.

You can see even LEGAL ways of getting money from people are fraught with danger --- imagine what perils illegal scams can hold.

TAKE CARE always --even on GENUINE sites.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 1, 2015
  5. Akane Win User
    How can they use microsoft email to fake the user ? May be Microsoft email server was hack ?

Akane, Aug 1, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

If you need to ask this type of question then you need to take great care with emails.

It's really simple -- for a start people can use IP masking / get hold of names within the company, use a little bit of graphic art and Photoshop, intercept your request to a "legitimate" Ms chat line to one of their own etc etc.

Anybody with even computer science 101 (basic) could do it --believe me this stuff is really TOO EASY so PLEASE TAKE CARE especially with emails and unsolicited phone calls / text messages.

I'm afraid some people obviously have led a much too "sheltered" life. Welcome to the Real Planet Earth. !!!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 1, 2015
  7. Akane Win User
    @jimbo45 Thank you for explain *Smile

Akane, Aug 1, 2015
  8. dencal Win User

Not strictly true that M$ do not send out e-mails with links, and yes I accept it is only a link to their own site.
    Received the following e-mail two days ago...

dencal, Aug 1, 2015
  9. "Programme" ?

That may be the correct spelling in some countries (I don't know where the picture came from) but I find a lot (most) of these "rip offs" come from foreign countries - and they usually mess up the spelling and grammar.

CountryBumkin, Aug 1, 2015
  10. Tonyb Win User
    OH boy the spelling is not to good in it i have seen it online but its bad really bad allot of users may fall for this as to be honest how many actually read something these days, this is bad news indeed.

Tonyb, Aug 1, 2015
  11. bobkn Win User
    And the spelling, syntax, and grammar are perfect in this post.*Wink

I wonder how long it'll take "too" to disappear completely? (Good riddance, I suppose.)

I get a number of crooked emails. The "from" addresses are usually spoofed, but they can only do so much with the links in the emails. I suggest that you always look at a link before you click on it.

bobkn, Aug 1, 2015
  12. Gary Win User
    There is always someone out to spoil anything they can. Be careful.

13. CalBear37 Win User

Its even easier than all that at least with Thunderbird which allows other "identities" to show in a sent email. Here's an example of a received email. Received name and email removed.

From - Sun Aug 02 10:00:05 2015
    X-Account-Key: account2
    X-UIDL: 0MThWI-1ZUi4T0qps-00QQk5
    X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
    X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
    X-Mozilla-Keys:
    Return-Path: L: spam@microsoft.com
    Received: from wavecable.net ([76.14.0.231]) by mx.perfora.net (mxeueus001)
    with ESMTP (Nemesis) id 0MThWI-1ZUi4T0qps-00QQk5 for <email removed>; Sun,
    02 Aug 2015 18:59:49 +0200
    Received: from [104.220.26.81] (HELO [127.0.0.1])
    by wavecable.net (CommuniGate Pro SMTP 4.2.8)
    with ESMTP id 391053828 for [email removed]; Sun, 02 Aug 2015 10:06:12 -0700
    Message-ID: <55BE4C8D.7050307@microsoft.com>
    Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2015 09:59:57 -0700
    User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/31.7.0
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    To: [name removed] <email removed>
    Subject: Test
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    Envelope-To: <email removed>

This is only a test.

CalBear37, Aug 1, 2015
  14. CountMike New Member
    Some of that stuff did not originate with internet, many scams were used over the phone, fax, even with printed leaflets. Companies were getting fake invoices in mail and fax. Small enough amounts not to cause a concern but repeated enough times would pile up a lots of money to a fake account which would disappear after some time but before a comptroller in company went thru and matched bills and orders.

CountMike, Aug 1, 2015
  15. tinmar49 Win User
    I have seen the longer spelling "programme" used in the UK as against the US spelling "program" which Microsoft uses on it's website.

tinmar49, Aug 2, 2015
Thema:

1. Watch out: A dangerous Windows 10 scam is being circulated online - Similar Threads - Watch dangerous scam

2. Windows 10 Freezes while watching online videos

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Freezes while watching online videos: Hi All,I had recently got a PC built and every time i watch online videos, windows freezes and does not allow me to do anything. I am not even able to shutdown, restart or even sign out.I have done the following and yet nothing seems to fix the issue:1. Updated all drivers2....
  3. Windows 10 - video watched online where are they stored in computer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - video watched online where are they stored in computer?: Hello experts,Just wonder for the videos watched online either by streamed or progressive download, where would the footage or video files watched be stored or found in computer apart from the C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp?thanks you very much!...
  4. New Circulative Update Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Circulative Update Problem: So I was updating windows for the new circulative update and on settings I clicked the back arrow and went back to "Check for updates" and now its just stuck on the 3 dots loading, I've waited for over 15m and its still like that. What can I do? I also cant see update history...
  5. windows 10 strucks or freezes while watching online videos.

windows 10 strucks or freezes while watching online videos.: i have a dell laptop model: dell g7 7588 . i bought it two months ago. it has intel i9-8 th gen with 128 gb ssd and 1tb hdd with nvidia GeForce gtx 1060 maxq with 6 gb ram. it is making me sick i bought it with 1,70,000 . please help me with it. windows 10 freezes...
  6. Microsoft support scam still in danger?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft support scam still in danger?: Hello. I accidentally entered in a website that took me to an alert page, wherein a false number was given to microsoft. I called the number. The voice on the other end directed me to hold down the 'r' key while pressing control. He then told me to enter something like...
  7. How to Watch Movies Online?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Watch Movies Online?: My default browser is Internet Explorer and using Windows 10 Home Basic. Loading simple sites like google.com are perfectly fine. But when I try to watch movies online from movie streaming sites such as fmovies, movieglide or netflix, it takes ages just to load the...
  8. watching videos online

watching videos online: Trying to watch videos online and the view is huge. Cannot watch in normal view https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/watching-videos-online/4a64d85e-495d-4379-a778-f2791b689de2
  9. Watch out for the updates !

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Watch out for the updates !: I finally got W10 running smooth and was starting to really like it. Then the first 'update' came down the chute. I didn't even have a chance to get around to thinking about stopping that auto update before it happened. WHAM ! Bricked for the second time. I am using Norton...
  10. BSOD watching online stream

BSOD watching online stream: Hi I have a BSOD watching an online stream, I don't know if it's related but games that my computer should handle fine have been lagging whilst some more demanding games run perfectly. 28349