Windows 10: Watching (and saving) a VHS tape via Windows Media Player

Discus and support Watching (and saving) a VHS tape via Windows Media Player in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello I am aiming to play a VHS tape through a Sony VCR. I can hear the tape playing and rewinding inside the VCR so that side of things is fine. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Bluenose_ted, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Watching (and saving) a VHS tape via Windows Media Player

Hello

I am aiming to play a VHS tape through a Sony VCR. I can hear the tape playing and rewinding inside the VCR so that side of things is fine. The VCR connects correctly to a TV using a Scart lead and plays VHS tapes.

I am using the following cables: the scart leads plugs into L1 (output) on the VCR and the other end plugs into my analogue to digital converter, as follows:

Watching (and saving) a VHS tape via Windows Media Player [​IMG]

The USB end plugs into my Windows 10 desktop PC tower. I am using a VIDBOX converter and, as far as I know, I have the correct drivers for it.

How may I view (and save) the VHS tape (a home movie so not copyrighted) in Windows Media Player (which I know nothing about), please, after pressing 'Play' on my VCR?

Thanks!

Steve

:)

Bluenose_ted, Jul 16, 2019

2. How can I play a VHS tape and digitize it for storage on a Win10 PC?

Hi Russ,

There is a way to convert VHS tapes copy to digitized version, we recommend contacting your VHS tape player manufacturer to ask for a device that will connect the player to the computer. You may also need a software to record and save it to the computer.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Martin Bar, Jul 16, 2019
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    VHS tapes

Does anyone still use VHS tapes? I've pretty much been using DVDs for at least the past 3 years of my life. I realized this today... the story goes like this:

A day or two ago, I watched Decoding the Exodus on the History channel. My family is relegious so I decided I would acquire this show and hand out copies to my family so they can watch it as well. I gave it to my mother, 2 of my 3 uncles (I should probably make a copy for my other uncle) and my grandmother. Out of all these people, guess who doesn't have a dvd player? Grandma. heh.

Since I've been using DVDs for so long, I didn't have any blank tapes, the only VHS tapes I have are 3 tapes of Red Dwarf that my dad made off of PBS, and a tape I found that my late grandfather made for me of The Predator. My mom didn't have any blank tapes either, niether did grandma. I went to wal-mart today to get some VHS tapes (I needed dvds and a can of compressed air anyway). I tried taping the DVD over to VHS on my dvd/vhs player, didn't work. I had to use the living room setup which has a dvd player and a VCR seperate and recorded it that way.

Long story short I was totally blown away by using these VHS tapes today. We've come so far in technology with the DVD. It took me an hour and a half to record Decoding the Exodus from a DVD to a VHS because a VHS cannot be burned, it HAS to be recorded real-time. It takes my about 5 minutes to burn the hour and a half movie in DVD format (came out to be around 2.62GB) with my computer's DVD burner and the Free Studio program, but the VHS had to be recorded in real-time, which took about an hour and a half. DVDs are so much more convienent; they can be burned, so they don't have to be recorded in real time. They hold more data than a VHS tape at VHS quality level, and at DVD quality level, anyone can easily tell the difference between a VHS and a DVD.

Now I think it kinda sucks that I can't record on my VHS/DVD player combo. It has a recording feature for the VHS player, but the only input it has is composite on the back and composite on the front. The only way I can record off a DVD with it is to use my PS2, but I'm using a component cable for it so I would have to fish out the composite cable for it and do it that way. It won't record from it's dvd player to it's vhs player. It doesn't have coaxial cable either, or I could pipe TV through it... can't record TV either. I'd have to do it on the VCR in the living room.

/very long story
    So does anyone still use VHS tapes today?

4. CDdude55 Win User

Watching (and saving) a VHS tape via Windows Media Player

VHS tapes

I have tons of VHS tapes and maybe one or two VHS players.*Smile Watching (and saving) a VHS tape via Windows Media Player :) Dont use them tho.

CDdude55, Jul 16, 2019
Thema:

Watching (and saving) a VHS tape via Windows Media Player

1. Watching (and saving) a VHS tape via Windows Media Player - Similar Threads - Watching saving VHS

2. Are edits made to album info via Windows Media Player saved to the actual files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are edits made to album info via Windows Media Player saved to the actual files?: I have been using Windows Media Player to edit the album info for some of my music and I was wondering if those changes were saved in the actual files. I ask because I have my music stored on an external hard drive, so want to know if the edits I have made will show up when I...
  3. Can Windows recognize cassette and VHS tapes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Windows recognize cassette and VHS tapes?: I have sort of a standard cassette drive and a VHS drive.I want to play or covert these in Windows, however, it is not recognized in Windows because there is no such driver.I was unable to find such driver that exists that dose not cause a conflict or critical errors.Is it...
  4. Can Windows recognize cassette and VHS tapes?

Can Windows recognize cassette and VHS tapes?: I have sort of a standard cassette drive and a VHS drive.I want to play or covert these in Windows, however, it is not recognized in Windows because there is no such driver.I was unable to find such driver that exists that dose not cause a conflict or critical errors.Is it...
  5. Can Windows recognize cassette and VHS tapes?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. windows media player not saving videos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows media player not saving videos: I had to reinstall windows 10 had many videos saved to windows media player, They seem to have disappeared I tried to get them back but was unable to and now when I try to add a new video it goes to the unsaved list How do i get the videos back and how to they go...
  7. transferring vhs tape to dvd windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    transferring vhs tape to dvd windows 10: I keep getting the message try another device tried three different usb cables still get this message c an you help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transferring-vhs-tape-to-dvd-windows-10/1c900507-fbbe-4069-844f-02de0629dca3
  8. Trying to use Diamond VC500 to convert VHS tapes to digital

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Trying to use Diamond VC500 to convert VHS tapes to digital: Hi there just purchased a new HP laptop with Windows 10. My real reason is to capture old footage and create digital memories for my family. I purchased the VC500 and installed the relevant software PowerDirector 12 and EZgrabber. I have not managed to get the software to...
  9. EASY CAP for VHS tape

EASY CAP for VHS tape: EASY CAP for VHS tape functions for my windows 10 . I have checked the driver and it is fit. I have checked the properties for compatibility and there is no problem with compatibility. the audio voice is fine and the video is shown but the video is dancing right and left....
  10. VHS Tape Conversion and Capture

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    VHS Tape Conversion and Capture: Looking for best way to download and store old VHS videos on my Windows 10 computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vhs-tape-conversion-and-capture/df4723eb-1d97-4256-9528-5e081fb993db"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to connect my VHS to widnows media player