Windows 10: Watching streams on Twitch.tv is causing major performance issues while gaming.

Discus and support Watching streams on Twitch.tv is causing major performance issues while gaming. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; The situation is that I run a dual-monitor setup, where I like to play a game on monitor A while watching a stream on Twitch.tv with monitor B. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SlaveNumber23, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Watching streams on Twitch.tv is causing major performance issues while gaming.

The situation is that I run a dual-monitor setup, where I like to play a game on monitor A while watching a stream on Twitch.tv with monitor B. This has been working fine for me with no issues up until 2 or 3 weeks ago after a mandatory Windows 10 update was installed. Now when I am watching a stream on monitor B I get frequent massive framerate dips every 3-5 seconds or so.

I'm quite convinced that something to do with the Twitch player is the issue here, as I can watch videos or streams on other platforms such as Netflix with no issues, and as soon as I pause the Twitch stream the issues are resolved immediately. Upon inspection Twitch seems to use the "Highwind-video player" which is very difficult to find much information about online.

Additionally I don't think it is an issue specific to my web browser, as I have tried downloading the Twitch app and using that to watch streams instead of my web browser and get the exact same issues.

I don't believe the problem is related to performance either, as turning down the graphics settings to minimum and even reducing the resolution to 1280x720 has no effect on the framerate dropping, and my computer can run the game (Borderlands 3) on maximum graphics settings at a steady 60fps at all other times, including streaming Netflix on monitor B, etc.

I've tried updating my graphics drivers, multiple restarts, downloading further Windows 10 updates, etc. Does anyone have some ideas for tackling this problem?

submitted by /u/SlaveNumber23
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SlaveNumber23, Nov 5, 2019
  2. TFSpectre Win User

Problem with Cryptographic Services causing major issues with Twitch streams

Been having this problem for a while where Cryptographic services using 25%+ of my CPU and when this happens, it "inadvertently?" is causing major problems with Firefox streaming from Twitch, it seems to either block or prevent the stream
    video coming down properly and repeatedly causes the stream to time out, yet when I stop the service, everything works just fine so I'm unsure what to do about preventing it from causing issues as it restarts itself every so often and when it's back, my streams
    die again. Cryptographic services doesn't seem to be working properly as it is just causing problems, I'd like to lower it's CPU impact but that is only because when I stop it, streams work properly again. I'd prefer not to kill it off permanently as I'm sure
    Microsoft put it there for a reason, but the effect it is having on being able to use streams is killing the ability to see them, which is obviously not what it should be doing. I have tried a few suggestions but would prefer to allow it to do whatever job
    it is supposed to do WHEN it is supposed to do it, not like it is now where it is just causing problems.

TFSpectre, Nov 28, 2019
  3. Problem with Cryptographic Services causing major issues with Twitch streams

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand how difficult it can be when the feature does not work the way it is supposed to. Thanks for the information that you have provided on the post.

Cryptographic services provides Protect Root Service, which adds and remove Trusted Root Certification Authority certificates from the computer. Basically, it will check the certification of the online servers which the computer
    will access. In this scenario, Twitch web server is getting blocked by this service. Stopping this service can put the computer in vulnerable status and can cause severe challenges.

We would like you to access the Twitch Streams on Internet Explorer or Edge and see if you face the same issue.

However, you can put the computer in clean boot and check if the issue persist.

Clean Boot

Please follow the steps mentioned in this Clean
    Boot
    article. A ‘clean boot’ starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program.

Disclaimer:

Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality while in a clean boot environment, however, that functionality will return when you reset the computer to start normally after you have finished your troubleshooting.

After performing the above methods, try downloading the software

Please reply us with the resolution, so that we can approach the issue with more clarity.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Nov 28, 2019
  4. TFSpectre Win User

Watching streams on Twitch.tv is causing major performance issues while gaming.

Problem with Cryptographic Services causing major issues with Twitch streams

When I use Edge it doesn't have the problem mostly; besides weird occurrences where it actually crashes and stuffs up Windows entirely forcing a reset because Windows stops operating properly when it does this, it seems to graphically corrupt (weird pixel
    displays onscreen) meaning hard resets are the only way to get my system running properly again. I believe I've said before, what doesn't make sense to me is why Firefox is being affected this way as I don't normally have problems with it which is why I've
    made it my default browser.

I have occassionally had both browsers run the same Twitch Stream, normally cutting the sound from the Edge one which means Firefox runs a whole lot better, but I shouldn't be forced to do this.

I've tried clean boots, complete reinstalls of Windows, yet nothing fixes whatever is going wrong. My system is an older system running Intel 4790K with minor overclocking as my ASUS Z97A decides (highest speed increase I've seen when it does is 8% boost)
    but the system is absolutely stable and when I have problems is ALWAYS when Cryptographic Services interferes with my Twitch viewing.

Clean boots, blocking the overclock from the motherboard, etc. all fail to solve whatever is causing the problem, only by stopping the Cryptographic Services does everything start operating properly again. I also did all the checks for Firefox in the eventuality
    that the cause was that, again including reinstalls, safe mode style operations, etc. My problems always start with Cryptographic Services without fail (I have Hardware (ASUS and Arris Routers) and Software (Malwarebytes Premium, Bitdefender Total Security
    both kept up-to-date) on top of Windows own firewalls to prevent malware and unasked for traffic.

So I know that the problem is Cryptographic Services or it's inability to process the streams quickly enough, which then cause disconnection from the stream I happen to be watching. Simply put, whatever it is doing, it is blocking Twitch streams, which is
    undesirable and is just being a problem that I haven't asked for.

TFSpectre, Nov 28, 2019
Thema:

Watching streams on Twitch.tv is causing major performance issues while gaming.

1. Watching streams on Twitch.tv is causing major performance issues while gaming. - Similar Threads - Watching streams Twitch

2. Windows 11 22H2 causing MAJOR battery and performance issues.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 22H2 causing MAJOR battery and performance issues.: Dear Microsoft development team, I just updated to the latest 22H2 version, and since then, my battery life has immensely decreased. My laptop Dell G15 5511 used to give a battery life of a at least 10 hours on balanced mode and 12-14 hours on Ultimate power savings, and now...
  3. video_memory_management_internal BSOD while watching videos on YT and Twitch.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    video_memory_management_internal BSOD while watching videos on YT and Twitch.: It started happening like a year ago. Back then it was just once in a while. However, I've been getting this BSOD very frequently nowadays. Almost once and sometimes even a couple of times each day. As per my observations, it only happens whenever I'm watching any videos on...
  4. video_memory_management_internal BSOD while watching videos on YT and Twitch.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    video_memory_management_internal BSOD while watching videos on YT and Twitch.: It started happening like a year ago. Back then it was just once in a while. However, I've been getting this BSOD very frequently nowadays. Almost once and sometimes even a couple of times each day. As per my observations, it only happens whenever I'm watching any videos on...
  5. video_memory_management_internal BSOD while watching videos on YT and Twitch.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. BSOD after watching streaming platforms twitch, youtube and while trying to install windows...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BSOD after watching streaming platforms twitch, youtube and while trying to install windows...: Hello. I have been getting BSOD after watching streams on twitch and even while watching youtube videos sometimes and it happend while I tried to install windows update KB4549951. This is a PC I bought new 4 months ago. I have been searching for an answer but couldn't find...
  7. Problem with Cryptographic Services causing major issues with Twitch streams

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problem with Cryptographic Services causing major issues with Twitch streams: Been having this problem for a while where Cryptographic services using 25%+ of my CPU and when this happens, it "inadvertently?" is causing major problems with Firefox streaming from Twitch, it seems to either block or prevent the stream video coming down properly and...
  8. BSOD playing OldSchool Runescape while watching YouTube/Twitch

BSOD playing OldSchool Runescape while watching YouTube/Twitch: Hey guys, I've been having BSOD's once to twice a week since I upgraded to Windows 10 around 10 months ago. I also installed a new CPU cooler (Kraken x61) at the same time so it's hard to isolate it to windows 10. My PC also freezes sometimes too and I have to restart,...
  9. BSOD mainly while streaming and watching Twitch..

BSOD mainly while streaming and watching Twitch..: I recently have been trying to stream on twitch, and it works for like 30 minutes-1 hour then my computer crashes.. Any help would be greatly appreciated, really want to start streaming seriously and on a schedule but can't due to this unfortunate issue that frequently...
  10. BSOD while watching streams

BSOD while watching streams: Greetings, So recently, I've noticed some minor freezes while watching streams, it only happens once, then it stops. Unfortunately, today, my computer completely froze and I got a BSOD error, with the following message: "VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL" So I went...