Windows 10: Water damage

Discus and support Water damage in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So not really a Microsoft Surface or anything, but it is a Windows 10 laptop so I'm hoping I could get some help here. Last night when I was not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by wjdgone, Dec 8, 2019.

1. wjdgone Win User

Water damage

So not really a Microsoft Surface or anything, but it is a Windows 10 laptop so I'm hoping I could get some help here.

Last night when I was not around my (open) laptop, my water bottle had tipped over all over my keyboard. I found out a few mins after, during which my friends had dried out the surface and tried turning it on from sleep mode. I know the first rule is to never turn it back on when wet, but I was not there when they did. It turned on fine, so I quickly backed up a few important files and turned it off, flipped it upside down, and left it to dry on a couple of paper towels for the rest of the night. I have a few questions regarding my next steps:

1. When I turned my laptop off, I kinda panicked and put it on sleep mode. It's still on sleep mode, but I'm too scared to turn it back on to power it back off again. It's been about 9 hours since the spill, do I leave it in sleep mode?

2. I think my chances are on the better side because it was working fine after the spill before I turned it off. But I want to know if I still should check for corrosion and water damage. My laptop is not on warrenty, and I'm not about to shell out a couple hundred to fix something that may not really need fixing. I'm going to leave it upside down for about 24 hours, but before powering on, should I take it apart and try to clean the motherboard with isopropyl alcohol? I'll probably turn the laptop on so that I can turn it off again properly if I do. Any advice if I should mess with this?

My laptop is an Asus Q525UA, if that matters. Thanks in advance.

:)

wjdgone, Dec 8, 2019
  2. bazyeo Win User

Water Damage Indicator

You will find phone repair companies cite water damage as a way of getting out of repairing the phone under warranty. Here in Australia the telecom repair industry has been warned about using "water damage" as a means of getting out of their obligations.
    I do not know what country you are in but would suggest you take this up with the Consumer Affairs authority in your country.

bazyeo, Dec 8, 2019
  3. Anitrex Win User
    Water Damage Indicator

Its a "Rectangular White Sticker" located below your battery.

Its changes its colour depending on the water damage.

White-Little to No Water Damage

Pink-Moderate Water Damage

Red-Heavy Water Damage

Hope This Helps!!

Anitrex, Dec 8, 2019
  4. Water damage

water damage

Just wondering how a phone can be returned from Nokia care unrepaired as the fault is stated to be due to water damage yet the phone has not been near any water and the indicators on the phone and battery which are supposed to turn red in the event of water
    damage are still totally white ? Yet another N97 mystery. Can anyone help me solve it ?

fluxxxxcat, Dec 8, 2019
Thema:

Water damage

1. Water damage - Similar Threads - Water damage

2. Windows 10 dead in water

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 dead in water: On 1/13/2020 my Asus Q325UAR worked fine. When I started it on 1/15/2020 Windows 10 wouldn't load, giving CRITICAL PROCESS DIED message. Startup Repair failed, so I attempted to repair using Advanced Options. Attempted System Restore, but restore failed and gave 0x8007002...
  3. water damage to laptop, need some advise

in Windows 10 Support
    water damage to laptop, need some advise: Hello... Today my Lenovo T550 laptop got damage by water and I believe the motherboard is dead now. What I like to do is remove the hard drive buy another used T550 laptop and place my hard drive into it. I'm curious will it boot up? The windows version will also be the same....
  4. Water mark in build 18980.1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Water mark in build 18980.1: Today, I've got an update for build 18980.1 from the Insider Programme. I just wonder if anybody having installed that build has got a water mark on the bottom right of the display like me. And perhaps has somebody been able to get rid of the water mark? Thank you in...
  5. Water drops under cpu fan

in Windows 10 Support
    Water drops under cpu fan: Hi , i got a new ryzen 7 3700x the other week. I have just noticed that under the cpu fan on the fan housing there is a small pool of what looks like water ( about the size of 3 drops from an eyedropper). Would this be from condensation from the fan? And other than try to get...
  6. Water spilled, computer has charger light on but won't turn on.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Water spilled, computer has charger light on but won't turn on.: I accidentily spilled water on a windows 10 HP laptop. I dried it, took out the battery and let it sit for a while. At first Id turn it on and the screen would just be white. Now, it doesn't turn on at all, but when its plugged in theres still an orange or white light on by...
  7. Activate windows water mark on my screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Activate windows water mark on my screen: How do I remove the "Activate Windows Go to Settings to activate Windows?" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activate-windows-water-mark-on-my-screen/c71f6a20-81ac-4252-9e12-833b6590157e
  8. Interesting 'water mark'!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Interesting 'water mark'!: Just woken my pc up and notice that in the bottom right corner of the desktop there is a faint image that reads: "Activate Windows Go to settings to activate Windows" see below: [ATTACH] Needless to say the PC has been running Widows 10 since it was upgraded (and...
  9. Edge browser and print to pdf water mark

in Browsers and Email
    Edge browser and print to pdf water mark: I was using print to pdf in edge browser. Printed pdf file has water mark even with cute pdf writer. Where as Same type printing in other browsers does not show water mark.How to avoid water mark in edge browser print to pdf. 67345
  10. Just when you thought it was safe to get back in the water

in Browsers and Email
    Just when you thought it was safe to get back in the water: I just came across this as I must have missed it before as I am sure Google put it out back in March The Best Replacements for the Soon-to-Be-Retired Chrome App Launcher Now I don't know about anyone else but this is really insulting ones intelligence and it is hard take...