Windows 10: Water damage

Discus and support Water damage in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So not really a Microsoft Surface or anything, but it is a Windows 10 laptop so I'm hoping I could get some help here. Last night when I was not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by wjdgone, Dec 8, 2019.

1. wjdgone Win User

Water damage

So not really a Microsoft Surface or anything, but it is a Windows 10 laptop so I'm hoping I could get some help here.

Last night when I was not around my (open) laptop, my water bottle had tipped over all over my keyboard. I found out a few mins after, during which my friends had dried out the surface and tried turning it on from sleep mode. I know the first rule is to never turn it back on when wet, but I was not there when they did. It turned on fine, so I quickly backed up a few important files and turned it off, flipped it upside down, and left it to dry on a couple of paper towels for the rest of the night. I have a few questions regarding my next steps:

1. When I turned my laptop off, I kinda panicked and put it on sleep mode. It's still on sleep mode, but I'm too scared to turn it back on to power it back off again. It's been about 9 hours since the spill, do I leave it in sleep mode?

2. I think my chances are on the better side because it was working fine after the spill before I turned it off. But I want to know if I still should check for corrosion and water damage. My laptop is not on warrenty, and I'm not about to shell out a couple hundred to fix something that may not really need fixing. I'm going to leave it upside down for about 24 hours, but before powering on, should I take it apart and try to clean the motherboard with isopropyl alcohol? I'll probably turn the laptop on so that I can turn it off again properly if I do. Any advice if I should mess with this?

My laptop is an Asus Q525UA, if that matters. Thanks in advance.

:)

wjdgone, Dec 8, 2019
  2. bazyeo Win User

Water Damage Indicator

You will find phone repair companies cite water damage as a way of getting out of repairing the phone under warranty. Here in Australia the telecom repair industry has been warned about using "water damage" as a means of getting out of their obligations.
    I do not know what country you are in but would suggest you take this up with the Consumer Affairs authority in your country.

bazyeo, Dec 8, 2019
  3. Anitrex Win User
    Water Damage Indicator

Its a "Rectangular White Sticker" located below your battery.

Its changes its colour depending on the water damage.

White-Little to No Water Damage

Pink-Moderate Water Damage

Red-Heavy Water Damage

Hope This Helps!!

Anitrex, Dec 8, 2019
  4. Water damage

water damage

Just wondering how a phone can be returned from Nokia care unrepaired as the fault is stated to be due to water damage yet the phone has not been near any water and the indicators on the phone and battery which are supposed to turn red in the event of water
    damage are still totally white ? Yet another N97 mystery. Can anyone help me solve it ?

fluxxxxcat, Dec 8, 2019
Thema:

Water damage

1. Water damage - Similar Threads - Water damage

2. Hi, my pc recently went through water damage and when it finally started up again, i...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi, my pc recently went through water damage and when it finally started up again, i...: I don't know my password and I can't use command prompt as my account is not the main account. I can use it but with limitations. I've tried all i can with it and i can't do much. I used the start menu and when i tried to factory reset it using all the options it gave me many...
  3. Hi, my pc recently went through water damage and when it finally started up again, i...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hi, my pc recently went through water damage and when it finally started up again, i...: I don't know my password and I can't use command prompt as my account is not the main account. I can use it but with limitations. I've tried all i can with it and i can't do much. I used the start menu and when i tried to factory reset it using all the options it gave me many...
  4. Hi, my pc recently went through water damage and when it finally started up again, i...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Is there anyway to fix water damage to a laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there anyway to fix water damage to a laptop: I recently spilled some of my morning coffee on my laptop and I hurried fast by cleaning it with a towel and wiping down some of the keys and now some of my laptop keys don't work is there anyway to fix this?...
  6. Is there anyway to fix water damage to a laptop

Is there anyway to fix water damage to a laptop: I recently spilled some of my morning coffee on my laptop and I hurried fast by cleaning it with a towel and wiping down some of the keys and now some of my laptop keys don't work is there anyway to fix this?...
  7. I had water damage on my PC but a software update fixed it?

I had water damage on my PC but a software update fixed it?: I'm posting this here because I'm confused about how I fixed my PC. I had water damage on my PC making the trackpad and keyboard lose functionality. I let it sit for a couple of weeks kinda forgot about it and pulled it back out. The keyboard and trackpad were still not...
  8. I had water damage on my PC but a software update fixed it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I had water damage on my PC but a software update fixed it?: I'm posting this here because I'm confused about how I fixed my PC. I had water damage on my PC making the trackpad and keyboard lose functionality. I let it sit for a couple of weeks kinda forgot about it and pulled it back out. The keyboard and trackpad were still not...
  9. MY DELL LAPTOP WATER DAMAGE DEAD HELP ME

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MY DELL LAPTOP WATER DAMAGE DEAD HELP ME: Will I LOST MY DATA??? PLEASE TELL ME https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-dell-laptop-water-damage-dead-help-me/8dd903e7-28e4-46d4-b6eb-221ef22e8838
  10. MY DELL LAPTOP WATER DAMAGE DEAD HELP ME

MY DELL LAPTOP WATER DAMAGE DEAD HELP ME: Will I LOST MY DATA??? PLEASE TELL ME https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-dell-laptop-water-damage-dead-help-me/8dd903e7-28e4-46d4-b6eb-221ef22e8838