Windows 10: Wave goodbye to Servicing Stack Update issues

Discus and support Wave goodbye to Servicing Stack Update issues in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Servicing Stack Updates will soon be a thing of the past, at least for supported versions of Microsoft's Windows operating system. Microsoft announced... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Feb 11, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Wave goodbye to Servicing Stack Update issues

Servicing Stack Updates will soon be a thing of the past, at least for supported versions of Microsoft's Windows operating system. Microsoft announced plans last year to simplify the deployment of servicing stack updates by integrating them into the monthly cumulative updates that it releases for its operating systems.

Previously, Servicing Stack Updates and cumulative updates were offered separately, and that could lead to issues, e.g. that a cumulative update could not be installed because the required Servicing Stack Update was not installed already.

Devices updated via Windows Update were not affected by the issue, a Windows Update delivered both the Servicing Stack Update and the cumulative update automatically. The situation was different for systems on which patches were installed through other means, e.g. by downloading an update to install it manually.

Wave goodbye to Servicing Stack Update issues servicing-stack-update.png

Microsoft released cumulative updates for all supported versions of Windows and other company products this week. Along with the updates came Servicing Stack Updates. What makes these special is that they are the prerequisite for the new unified updating approach.

Basically, what it means is that these Servicing Stack Updates may be the last ones that need to be installed on a device manually, as they are from that release onward included in the cumulative updates.

The support page for the Servicing Stack Update for Windows 10 version 1809 provides the following information (support pages for other versions offer the same information):

Additionally, this update enables a single package design that incorporates the servicing stack update (SSU) into the latest cumulative update (LCU). Combining the SSU and LCU update into a single package provides a more seamless deployment and installation experience.

The February 2021 Servicing Stack Updates are the prerequisites for the new unified approach.

Microsoft will switch over to the new approach "in the coming months" according to the update posted here.

We are planning to switch over to the new combined package format for these earlier versions in the coming months. In the meantime, please broadly deploy the February 2021 SSU across your organization to take advantage of the upcoming capability.

Windows administrators who installed updates directly, without using Windows Update to do so, benefit from the change the most as it resolves a long-standing issue.

It needs to be noted that this affects Windows 10 systems only. (via Windows Latest)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Wave goodbye to Servicing Stack Update issues appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Feb 11, 2021

2. servicing stack updates

Servicing stack updates are not listed in the Update History.

nevillematthews1, Feb 11, 2021
  3. servicing stack updates

Hi Neville,

Servicing stack updates are not listed in the Update History. A workaround is to install the newest cumulative update, which requires your device to have the latest servicing stack update Installed. If it says the update is not applicable provided it is for
    your version and architecture, it probably would mean you do not have the latest SSU.

Hope that helps.

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Feb 11, 2021
  4. StupisIs Win User

Printers and Servicing Stack Update

On WIndows8.1 Notepad would suddenly hang and not list any printers. The next day an update came out called Servicing Stack and miraculously Notepad could now find printers. Today(10/9/19) a single update came out(you guessed it) KB4521864 Servicing Stack
    and now Notepad can no longer find printers. What's going on?

Also, I tried to delete/remove KB4521864 Servicing Stack and found I could not do that. It says on the installed updates tab that I am supposed to be able to do that by clicking on the installed update and select uninstall or change but that does nothing.
    I guess Windows 8.1 is still in Beta.

StupisIs, Feb 11, 2021
Thema:

1. Wave goodbye to Servicing Stack Update issues - Similar Threads - Wave goodbye Servicing

2. Servicing Stack Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Servicing Stack Issue: Servicing Stack disables my keyboard. Worse still, I can't uninstall the update. When will Microsoft provide a permanent solution to this recurrent issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/servicing-stack-issue/58725326-c9d1-40d2-a5c2-b297a5e74ff6
  3. Servicing Stack Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Servicing Stack Issue: Servicing Stack disables my keyboard. Worse still, I can't uninstall the update. When will Microsoft provide a permanent solution to this recurrent issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/servicing-stack-issue/58725326-c9d1-40d2-a5c2-b297a5e74ff6
  4. Servicing Stack Issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. windows update service stack 10.0.19041.925

windows update service stack 10.0.19041.925: HiEver since windows update service stack 10.0.19041.925 has been installed my laptop doesn't start. I have to wait one or two days to be able start it again. I can't uninstall this update either, it doesn't give me the choice to uninstall. I wish to uninstall it or Microsoft...
  6. Service Stack Update Confusion

Service Stack Update Confusion: Is this something I need to be updating manually on my Windows 10 machine or is this getting updated every time I use Windows Update. If this must be done manually, how do I know what current version is running on my computer so I can decide if I need to upgrade in the first...
  7. Servicing Stack Update Question

Servicing Stack Update Question: Hello. I am working with a brand new PC with Windows 10 version 1903. I have not done any Windows Updates yet. I know that a Servicing Stack update is required - KB4521863. Since I have not done any updates yet, will this Servicing Stack update automatically update …...
  8. Servicing stack updates

Servicing stack updates: Is KB 4498523 really the latest stack update for W10 19-03 as listed ? This is an earlier KB number shown as superceding KB 4500109. Tom Allen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/servicing-stack-updates/4e0c9363-ad1e-4520-989b-e36f16bef8af
  9. servicing stack updates

servicing stack updates: where do i see if the latest stack update has been installed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/servicing-stack-updates/b98e52e1-c0c1-4473-b41c-b63543c72241
  10. Servicing stack update

Servicing stack update: Why 2019-02 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4485447) take so much long time to download ? I am downloading this for several hours and it is still 0 percent....