Windows 10: Ways to disable Windows 10 updates

Discus and support Ways to disable Windows 10 updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The symptoms are getting worse... My laptop restarts for updates every 2-3 days now, during "active hours" and without notice. There seems to be no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Martijn van den Ende, Nov 9, 2018 at 7:57 AM.

1. Martijn van den Ende Win User

Ways to disable Windows 10 updates

The symptoms are getting worse... My laptop restarts for updates every 2-3 days now, during "active hours" and without notice. There seems to be no willingness from Microsoft to address this in the future. I have lost so much work and productivity already that the time has come for more drastic measures. I would like to disable automatic updates. I'm willing to take my chances against hackers and virtual terrorists; I'd rather have my computer participate in a clandestine bitcoin farming operation than to receive near-daily updates and associated reboots.

Setting my network as a metered connection interferes with my cloud synchronisation clients, so I'd prefer a more surgical approach, like altering registry keys or services. Could anyone point me to some reliable resources for disabling automatic updates? Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

:)

Martijn van den Ende, Nov 9, 2018 at 7:57 AM
  2. chispy Win User

Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Thank you for trying to help , i did tried your suggestion but it did not work :/ , nothing seems to make it work on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709. In the meantime i have bought a new SoundBlasterX AE-5 and it did installed flawlessly , no problems whatsoever. it is up to Creative ( drivers ) and Microsoft ( bug fix ) to fix this huge bugs with Audio.

Kind Regards: Chispy

3. lexluthermiester Win User
    Windows 10 update being enabled.

Late to the party again... *Laugh :laugh:
    That would be incorrect. To disable updates, the service must be disabled. Windows Defender has a nasty habit of undoing users configs like that so you need to disable it first, then disable the update service.

If you're looking for an easy way to do this, see here;
    Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4 for Windows 10
    There are all sorts of great config changes that can be made safely with that utility and all with just a couple of clicks. After setting changes a reboot will b e required, but that's to be expected.

lexluthermiester, Nov 9, 2018 at 7:59 AM
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Thema:

1. Ways to disable Windows 10 updates - Similar Threads - Ways disable updates

2. Ways to block Windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Ways to block Windows 10 updates: I'm having issues with a recent windows cumulative update. I uninstalled said update, and blocked it using wushowhide tool. However, after leaving my pc on, unattended for a few minutes, I came back to see that the pc had restarted and begun updating automatically. After the...
  3. A way to disable GeForce Experience?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    A way to disable GeForce Experience?: I hope I won't have to uninstall GFE, but what is the best way to turn it off or disable it? I don't play high-end games like Call Of Duty, Assassins Creed, etc., I don't need any big screen mode, theater mode, FPS count, chat or an HUD. I try to keep up with the latest...
  4. Is there a way to permanently disable Airplane mode for Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to permanently disable Airplane mode for Windows 10?: I have never used Airplane mode since I switched to Windows 10 and have no real plans to. Thing is, every now and again it would automatically switch itself on and off for no apparent reason, and it can be a royal pain to get Wi-fi to get started again. Is there any way to...
  5. Disable windows 10 update

Disable windows 10 update: How to disable win10 update ? I disabled it at windows management > services application > services > windows update and it enable itself. 118970
  6. Is there a way to disable only major Windows updates permanently?

Is there a way to disable only major Windows updates permanently?: I am fine with the small updates such as the KB***** ones. But I don't want the large ones such as the one coming in October 2018, Redstone 5. Is there a way to disable only these large updates? Windows shamelessly restarts computers for updates if it's kept idle. 117884
  7. Is there a way to disable only major Windows updates permanently?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a way to disable only major Windows updates permanently?: I am fine with the small updates such as the KB***** ones. But I don't want the large ones such as the one coming in October 2018, Redstone 5. Is there a way to disable only these large updates? Windows shamelessly restarts computers for updates if it's kept idle. 117884
  8. Disable Windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disable Windows 10 updates: Auto updates slow my computer big time. I know how to disable it, but it keeps reactivating. How do I disable updates FOREVER ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/disable-windows-10-updates/d17e34b2-7372-4e89-8ca5-36fcd496fe35
  9. Is there a way to disable gamepads from interacting with Windows 10 UI?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is there a way to disable gamepads from interacting with Windows 10 UI?: Windows 10 didn't originally have this feature, but one of the updates made it so that pressing A on a gamepad (Logitech's old school one, XBox 360, or XBox 1) counted as clicking on the currently highlighted item. It also made the DPad navigate in menus, and other changes....
  10. Is there a way to completely disable Cortana?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to completely disable Cortana?: So I just installed Windows 10, everything seems to be running great at the moment except for 1 thing, Cortana is still running in the background (taking up around ~30MBs of RAM), even after following Brink's tutorial (link). Is there a way to disable it completely? 9491