Windows 10: Ways to utilize ramdisk?

Discus and support Ways to utilize ramdisk? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; So far i know you can install programs,store temp files and if your brave you can put your swap file on a ramdisk. But what other ways can you use a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by smirk24, Feb 14, 2019.

1. smirk24 Win User

Ways to utilize ramdisk?

So far i know you can install programs,store temp files and if your brave you can put your swap file on a ramdisk.

But what other ways can you use a ramdisk to improve performance system wide with a ramdisk? Or how it says you can store your log files? What log files can you store on a ramdisk?

So what are ways you can utilize a ramdisk?

:)

smirk24, Feb 14, 2019
  2. Bambooz Win User

Ramdisk For Video Editing?

If 32GB (minus OS and progs) is enough for you and you're aware of the drawbacks (volatile.. power outage and it's all gone), I'd give it a try.

You can play around with a free version of Dataram's RAMDisk utility if you want. The only limitation of the free version is a max. size of 4GB for the RAMDisk.
    RAMDisk - Software that Accelerates, Protects, Optimizes - Server Memory Products & Services - Dataram

I did a little check a couple mins ago. Ignore the CPU load (I haven't closed anything down while doing this)

Ways to utilize ramdisk? [​IMG]

That's on the sys listed on the left, with DDR3-1333 running at 1066 with really crappy timings (9-9-9-24) cause my BIOS forgot it's settings and I'm too lazy to reboot and fix it.

Play with the free version and check the performance, then think about wether to go for SSDs in RAID or a RAMDisk.

Bambooz, Feb 14, 2019
  3. Nailezs Win User
    [expert][tip] Using a RAMdisk to speed up your HDD - and/or reduce SSD trashing

where are the temp windwos settings for vista? i havent had any luck finding them

EDIT:
    ok, disregard my above question, as i've given up on the ramdisks.

but, when using the dataram ramdisk utility it wont let me stop the ramdisk. when i tell it to stop, i jsut get a bsod saying that windows stopped a driver from corrupting the system. anyone else having this problem?

i tried rebooting, hiting f8, and hitting "disable driver signature enforcement" but still got the bsod, even when right clicking the utility and running as administrator.

i've done some poking around, and the ramdisk utility is not a start-up feature that can be disabled in msconfig. however, i did notice that now in device manager i have a "DataRam Ramdisk" tab, upon which the ramdisk is under. since it seems that windows doesnt load/activate the ramdisk until it loads the driver upon bootup (as the ramdisk does not come up in safe mode, and there are no listings for it in msconfig, or i should say that everything in msconfig i am aware of) could i simply uninstall the driver, to force the ramdisk to stop, and then uninstall the utility without any problems?

Nailezs, Feb 14, 2019
  4. aikonN8 Win User

Ways to utilize ramdisk?

Removing WLAN Utilities

Wan update instructions below state remove wan utilities,

Uninstallation instructions:

• Turn WLAN Off
    • Manually uninstall "WLAN Utilities" package from the installed applications.
    • Turn WLAN On
    I can't find them under installed applications anywhere. Could somebody give step by step instrucions, I've looked in :

Installations/ already installed.

aikonN8, Feb 14, 2019
Thema:

Ways to utilize ramdisk?

1. Ways to utilize ramdisk? - Similar Threads - Ways utilize ramdisk

2. Windows 10 RAMdisk with Secure Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 RAMdisk with Secure Boot: We are looking into building a Windows 10 RAMdisk for a bootable client, for students in schools to take exams in a secure environment. To protect the distribution from being tampered with, and to ease the ad-hoc boot sequence, this operating system must be booted into the...
  3. Windows 10 RAMdisk with Secure Boot

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 RAMdisk with Secure Boot: We are looking into building a Windows 10 RAMdisk for a bootable client, for students in schools to take exams in a secure environment. To protect the distribution from being tampered with, and to ease the ad-hoc boot sequence, this operating system must be booted into the...
  4. Windows 10 RAMdisk with Secure Boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Looking for RAMDisk Program Suggestions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking for RAMDisk Program Suggestions: I wonder if anyone has suggestions on RAMdisk programs that they like. I'm about to start putting together a new system but before I spend the money for 128GB of RAM I want to test some RAMDisk programs to make sure that they work as I need. If anyone has any suggestions for...
  6. Malicious Software Removal Tool and RAMDisk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Malicious Software Removal Tool and RAMDisk: When selecting the option to run the MSRT on a specific folder and that folder resides on a RAMDisk I find that the MSRT will repeat the scan of the folder infinitely while also increasing the items count infinitely. Just an observation....
  7. Help a Newbie Create a RAMDisk

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help a Newbie Create a RAMDisk: Hello, Folks, Well, I think the most important reward you get is that I will tell everyone here that you are the greatest person alive! If they could help me do the following. First, solve the following questions with a bit of proof.1. Can you tell me and prove to me which...
  8. not enough memory to create a ramdisk device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    not enough memory to create a ramdisk device: saw this error for some folks trying to upgrade to windows 10 but I have been on 10 for years. sometime during a reboot the error occurred and I don't know how to get past it. I have a wireless keyboard so even though it suggests hitting enter and/or F8 for startup options,...
  9. What folders to put on RAMDisk?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What folders to put on RAMDisk?: Hi. I've recently upgraded to 32GB RAM, created 20GB RAMDisk with ASUS ROG RAMDisk software and I'm in need of help to verify & decide which folders should be added to this for overall better performance. For now, I've synchronized whole installation folder of my Photoshop...
  10. Persistent Ramdisk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Persistent Ramdisk: Any assistance on this, sorry I don't mean to post so much lately new computer. : @ 38988