Windows 10: WD 2.5" My Passport drive recognised only if unplugged then re-plugged

Discus and support WD 2.5" My Passport drive recognised only if unplugged then re-plugged in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A friend has a problem with his PC. It's running Win 10 Home 1903. I passed on to him a My Passport drive that was too small for my needs. I cleaned it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tpriest, Nov 13, 2019.

1. tpriest Win User

WD 2.5" My Passport drive recognised only if unplugged then re-plugged

A friend has a problem with his PC. It's running Win 10 Home 1903. I passed on to him a My Passport drive that was too small for my needs. I cleaned it first. It's used for backup.

When backup runs it invariably says something like "drive not recognised". After unplugging it then plugging it back in Windows then recognises it and uses it as required.

Until the next time a day or so later. Once again Windows doesn't see the drive.

I had a look when I last visited them and uninstalled and re-installed the driver. Seemed OK at the time but clearly has subsequently made no difference.

For what it's worth his wife's identical PC also with a My Passport drive is fine.

I'm back over there on Friday evening. Thoughts on what to look for would be welcome.

:)

tpriest, Nov 13, 2019

2. why doesnt computer recognise wd hard drive passport

computer not recognising my wd passport

paulgough2, Nov 13, 2019
  3. How to locate and open my WD Passport drive in Surface Book 2 ?

Hi there,

I had just reformat my WD Passport External drive from my Mac Pro under MS Dos(FAT) to work for both my Mac and Microsoft. After connecting my WD Passport to my Surface book 2, I'm unable to locate WD Passport Drive in my driver even after I unlock my WD
    Passport. But, I can see WD drive and SES installed under my device manager.

I had tried a few troubleshooting recommended by WD Passport but it is not working on this surface book.

need some expert WD Passport and mac converted to surface book expert here!

Thanks !

justzeilrahc, Nov 13, 2019
  4. WD 2.5" My Passport drive recognised only if unplugged then re-plugged

WD external drive not recognised by windows 10

my relatively new windows 10 PC will not recognise my new WD My Passport external storage drive. I've tried all sorts of fixes from the web, nothing has worked. The external drive works fine on my elderly work laptop (windows 7), straight plug and play.
    Not even showing up as plugged in on windows 10! Help!

LucindaEvans, Nov 13, 2019
Thema:

WD 2.5" My Passport drive recognised only if unplugged then re-plugged

1. WD 2.5" My Passport drive recognised only if unplugged then re-plugged - Similar Threads - Passport drive recognised

2. WD-My Passport 2 TB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WD-My Passport 2 TB: Hi: My WD My Passport USB hard drive shows as "currently in use", with a continuously flashing LED. This starts up randomly. I am unable to eject this USB device, and only way that I am able to stop it is to restart Windows. Is this a sign of its age? It is nearing Full;...
  3. WD my passport ultra drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WD my passport ultra drive: How do I go about reallocating space on my WD passport ultra drive? I have deleted a bunch of backups that I don't need any longer but it seems that the space on the drive is still allocating space to the deleted backups. I have a couple of backups that I don't want to...
  4. WD My passport External hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WD My passport External hard drive not working: The name and bar showing up shows fine, but when I try to download something it automatically goes to the C:/original hard drive. It ends up saying disk space full because my disk space on C:/ is full. How do I set up My Passport so it can take in files?...
  5. WD My Passport

WD My Passport: Hi. I have just purchased a Microsoft Laptop which unfortunately won't read my WD My Passport. does anyone have a fix for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wd-my-passport/b3cf90e5-c78b-4104-a67e-e25c5faea50a
  6. WD My Passport Ultra There but not there

WD My Passport Ultra There but not there: I have a 1TB WD My Passport Ultra and it was working fine. I accessed a picture from it to send out in in an email and afterwards shut down my laptop. HP Envy, Win 10 bla bla bla Later that day I booted up my laptop and the passport didn't show up in the file manager. It...
  7. wd passport

wd passport: I reloaded my windows 10 after a crash . But the WD password does not seems to find my files to be downloaded back to the PC . Even the WD program disappeared from the drive . What I have to do to get my files back ?...
  8. Windows 10 doesn’t recognise WD Passport USB drive

Windows 10 doesn’t recognise WD Passport USB drive: Hi there, I’m having trouble getting my WD Passport drive up and running on Windows 10. The Apps seem to have installed okay but I can’t access the hard drive through the USB drive. I read online that WD Passport is incompatible with the latest versions of Windows 10. I...
  9. WD My Passport external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WD My Passport external hard drive: I am CONSTANTLY prompted to Re-Connect my Backup harddrive bc some files did not backup. I try to look at files but cant open and the files are tiny. SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT TROJAN FILES ? Are they old orphan files from some uninstalled app. I KNOW, a list of files and...
  10. WD My passport not Recognized when Plugged in

WD My passport not Recognized when Plugged in: How many computers do you have and on how many computers have you tried it on ? Have you installed WD Smartware on the one computer on which it is accessible? What is the OS in it? Please plug it in any one Windows 10 computer that is not yours and that which does not...