Windows 10: WD 3TB HDD will only format to 2048GB with GPT (IT Professional)

Discus and support WD 3TB HDD will only format to 2048GB with GPT (IT Professional) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey Guys, New to the Forum's. I am really struggling with getting 3 of my 3TB WD Green HDD's to show up as full capacity. I have already gone through... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by robfatts, Mar 22, 2019.

1. robfatts Win User

WD 3TB HDD will only format to 2048GB with GPT (IT Professional)

Hey Guys,

New to the Forum's. I am really struggling with getting 3 of my 3TB WD Green HDD's to show up as full capacity. I have already gone through Disk Part with all of them and windows will only read them as 2048GB even in the Bios. They have all been formatted to GPT. This is similar to what happened to another poster 3 years ago here 3TB disk showing as 2TB - Windows 10 Forums

I could use as much help as possible to figure this out as I want to use all 3 drives as a spanned volume and I am losing over 1TB of physical space.

Here is a picture of the Disk Manager to show what I am talking about.

WD 3TB HDD will only format to 2048GB with GPT (IT Professional) [​IMG]

WD 3TB HDD will only format to 2048GB with GPT (IT Professional) [​IMG]

:)

robfatts, Mar 22, 2019
  2. colontbel Win User

can win10 be installed in HDD over 3TB

Provide the tool as (Seagate is doing for their HDDs), to format the rest hitachi 3TB HDD capacityon new Win 10 Pro 64bit PC withot UEFI Bios to see beyond 2TB HDD capacity, wth te new MBR or GPT... . I contacted WD company, but they asked me to contact
    Microsoft.. But Im not sure if you can handle it, as always.

colontbel, Mar 22, 2019
  3. JimWynne Win User
    can win10 be installed in HDD over 3TB

What is your question?

JimWynne, Mar 22, 2019
  4. Rohit_R Win User

Windows 10 will not "Quick Format" a 3TB HDD

Hi David,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The time for Quick Format always depends on the size of the hard drive. As you mentioned that the size of the hard drive is 3 TB. So it will take certain amount of depending on the computer’s configuration as well.

However, it is possible that your 3TB HDD is MBR (master boot record) disk. You can check it in Disk Management, which only supports 2TB drive. That would be the reason the Windows 10 was unable to perform Quick Format on 3 TB HDD.
    You can try to
    convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk
    and check if Quick format is working.

We can suggest you to update the storage drivers of the computer from the manufacturer’s website which will increase the support capacity above 2TB.

Hope it helps.

Rohit Raina

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Rohit_R, Mar 22, 2019
Thema:

1. WD 3TB HDD will only format to 2048GB with GPT (IT Professional) - Similar Threads - 3TB HDD format

2. Windows Activation on new 3TB HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Activation on new 3TB HDD: Microsoft recently past 2 weeks or so helped me to activate Windows 10 Professional on my SSD. Now I have installed a 3TB HDD Seagate, and wish to install Windows 10 Pro on there as well. I am lead to believe that my activation is linked to my Microsoft account. Okay, but...
  3. Windows Activation on new 3TB HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Activation on new 3TB HDD: Microsoft recently past 2 weeks or so helped me to activate Windows 10 Professional on my SSD. Now I have installed a 3TB HDD Seagate, and wish to install Windows 10 Pro on there as well. I am lead to believe that my activation is linked to my Microsoft account. Okay, but...
  4. Wd 3t hdd???

in Windows 10 Support
    Wd 3t hdd???: I found an old 3T WD SATA Drive in my closet - WD 30EZRX (on the label) I tried to format it and it says its only 2T. What gives? 170717
  5. 2TB HDD Data Only Non-Boot - Format to MBR or GPT??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2TB HDD Data Only Non-Boot - Format to MBR or GPT??: Am using / installing a new 2TB HDD drive. Quick Info: - 2TB capacity WD - Will be a Data only drive, not OS or Boot Drive - Will most likely only have one or two partitions at most on the new drive - ASUS i5 Motherboard supports HDD's > 2TB and worked well with 3TB...
  6. 2TB HDD format to MBR or GPT??

2TB HDD format to MBR or GPT??: I just got a new 2TB HHD and i want to know which partition style i need to use MBR or GPT? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2tb-hdd-format-to-mbr-or-gpt/672f2d14-e381-4682-9f1b-9b89f016c52f
  7. WD Book 3TB Cannot be Accessed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WD Book 3TB Cannot be Accessed: Windows 10 Pro - 1909, OS Build: 18363.657 Howdy Folks, *Smile Shortly after a successful Macrium Reflect full backup [SSD Primary Image & HDD Secondary Files & Folders .mrbak] on my desktop the Book failed backing up my laptop. Disk Manager says it needs to be initialized...
  8. Windows 10 will not "Quick Format" a 3TB HDD

Windows 10 will not "Quick Format" a 3TB HDD: I moved a 3TB HDD from a Windows 7 Pro computer to my new Windows 10 Pro computer. Rather than delete all the data, I thought it would be quicker to just do a Quick Format. I was wrong. Disk Management just sat there doing nothing for over 45 minutes. I deleted all...
  9. SSD is in GPT, HDD is in MBR format. Is that OK?

SSD is in GPT, HDD is in MBR format. Is that OK?: Hello, Recently I've purchased a Kingston 240GB SSD. I initialized the SSD in GPT, and installed Windows 10. But, when I looked my 2TB HDD partitions, they are in MBR format. Will there have any stability issues when the SSD is in GPT and HDD in MBR? Do I need to change my...
  10. Cannot format WD 1TB HDD

Cannot format WD 1TB HDD: I bought a new WD 1TB HDD and was running install/format when I had a power outage. When power came back I could not format this drive. The drive shows in Device Manager but fails format there and every where I have tried. I used UBDC and have not been able to format in...