Windows 10: WD 4 TB External Hard Drive not working, but other external drives work OK

Discus and support WD 4 TB External Hard Drive not working, but other external drives work OK in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have several WD external hard drives of various sizes, however my primary 4 TB drive fails to work anymore and I had just backed up my laptop last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Gallahad47, Jul 20, 2020.

1. WD 4 TB External Hard Drive not working, but other external drives work OK

I have several WD external hard drives of various sizes, however my primary 4 TB drive fails to work anymore and I had just backed up my laptop last Sunday/Monday 7/12-13 and it was working fine last Thursday, but when I went to hook it up this past Sunday 7/19 it did not work, although there was a blinking blue light on the drive. I tried the other external hard drives and they worked fine. I am running Windows 10 with a 1 TB internal hard drive. Has this drive gone bad or is there a way that I can retrieve the info on it? Thank you.

:)

Gallahad47, Jul 20, 2020

2. WD External Hard Drive problem

The IDE one isn't working, but they're in cases. They're WD MyBook's. When taken out of the case, the one that doesn't show up is set at Cable Select, which is where I'm assuming it's supposed to be on a drive in an external enclosure? I'm currently searching for some data recovery software. Other then all of this, is there any other suggestions?

Misery In Death, Jul 20, 2020
  3. agupt18 Win User
    WD USB 3 External hard drive not working in windows 10

Hi, I have a WD 1 TB External Hard drive when i connect this to dell inspiron 15 3000 series 3558 laptop with USB 3.0 port it is not detected, how ever it is detected via the USB 2.0 ports. The External hard drive works perfectly fine with USB 2 but when
    i connect to USB 3.0 the drive is not recognized. All other USB compatible drives are working fine in in USB 3.0 port.

The Drive was working fine with windows 8.1.

Can anyone guide how i can trouble shoot further.

I have tried installing the drivers again. All the drivers are latest and still the issue persist.

agupt18, Jul 20, 2020
  4. WD 4 TB External Hard Drive not working, but other external drives work OK

USB3 problem with 3 TB external hard drive.

I've just experienced the problem I've seen others are posting re USB3 external hard drives. It happens with drives formatted GPT on USB3 ports. I'm running Windows 10 1607 build 14393.187.

I have two external hard drives, both USB3, one is 3 TB formatted GPT, the other 2 TB formatted
    MBR. The 2 TB drive works with both my USB3 port and my USB2 ports, but the
    3 TB one only works with the USB2 ports. My Windows 7 Pro system doesn't have this problem.

Edit: I should add that I have a 64 GB USB3 flash drive that when plugged into the USB3 port, is immediately recognized, assigned a drive letter, and works just fine.

Edit: l mistakenly said 2 GB and 3 GB when I should've said 2 TB and 3 TB. Error corrected above Sept. 17.

Hula_Baloo, Jul 20, 2020
Thema:

WD 4 TB External Hard Drive not working, but other external drives work OK

1. WD 4 TB External Hard Drive not working, but other external drives work OK - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive not working: I've been messing around with my external hard drive because I tried to put it in my xbox one s and I didn't really need it in there, i mostly need it for my laptop. I formatted the hard drive on the xbox and now i've put it back into my laptop, the noise comes on when its...
  3. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external hard drive not working: I've been messing around with my external hard drive because I tried to put it in my xbox one s and I didn't really need it in there, i mostly need it for my laptop. I formatted the hard drive on the xbox and now i've put it back into my laptop, the noise comes on when its...
  4. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive not working: I have a 5TB seagate external hard drive, I damaged the pcb usb port and got a replacement and everything works just fine. I'm trying to set up my external storage drive. I plugged it in, noise comes on that it is plugged into the computer, the enclosure power light is on and...
  5. external hard drive not working

external hard drive not working: I have a 5TB seagate external hard drive, I damaged the pcb usb port and got a replacement and everything works just fine. I'm trying to set up my external storage drive. I plugged it in, noise comes on that it is plugged into the computer, the enclosure power light is on and...
  6. 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .

3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .: 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive . Lights up when connected with the computer then shuts off The light not the drive . Troubleshooting says device cannot start code 10 . Then , problem with the driver. Says I have best driver . Tried reinstall . Reinstall fail all the time ....
  7. 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .: 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive . Lights up when connected with the computer then shuts off The light not the drive . Troubleshooting says device cannot start code 10 . Then , problem with the driver. Says I have best driver . Tried reinstall . Reinstall fail all the time ....
  8. WD External Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WD External Drive: Upon initializing my external drive, i got a message "request failed due to fatal device hardware error". What are my options? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wd-external-drive/9ffc4c0d-9621-4b0a-9be2-eeddddb8e2fa
  9. WD My passport External hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WD My passport External hard drive not working: The name and bar showing up shows fine, but when I try to download something it automatically goes to the C:/original hard drive. It ends up saying disk space full because my disk space on C:/ is full. How do I set up My Passport so it can take in files?...
  10. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    external hard drive not working: my external hard drive is not working and idk how to fix it, it is detected it just doesn't do anything... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-not-working/65f9db49-d585-48c4-b39c-5f14565207ca