Windows 10: WD 8 second load cycle count

Discus and support WD 8 second load cycle count in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I know there is a lot of discussion in the past. Is there still nothing in Windows 10 to fix this? I'm downloading WDIDLE3 and formatting boot disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Boulder, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Boulder Win User

WD 8 second load cycle count

I know there is a lot of discussion in the past. Is there still nothing in Windows 10 to fix this?

I'm downloading WDIDLE3 and formatting boot disk right now but would prefer a software solution?

1000 cycles in about a week on a brand new HP laptop.

:)

Boulder, Jan 8, 2018
  2. d0001 Win User

Battery cycle count - Dell Inspiron 3521

Why there is no information about CYCLE COUNT in BATTERY REPORT html file?

Is there option to count battery cycles?

Screenshot of Battery report below

WD 8 second load cycle count [​IMG]

d0001, Jan 8, 2018
  3. Maxiswell Win User
    Nokia Lumia 520 stuck in endless reboot

After updating to Lumia Denim my Lumia 520 continually reboots. It loads up as normal then after 30 seconds will crash and start the reboot cycle; this is continuous.

I have tried soft and hard reset. Hard reset fails to work, it still loads as existing and continues in the endless reboot cycle.

I have tried the Windows Phone Recovery Tool. It detects the phone and sends it into flash mode, briefly for 1 second the reds screen appears which is the flash mode however the phone at this point crashes again and reverts back to the endless reboot cycle.

Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Maxiswell, Jan 8, 2018
  4. WD 8 second load cycle count

I don't know what WD is. And I don't know what WDIDLE3 is.
    But I do know what a brand new HP laptop is.
    If WD is a serious problem and the laptop is new, then it's HP's problem. Send it back!

margrave55, Jan 8, 2018
  5. Boulder Win User
    Sorry tried to keep it brief. Seems to be a problem with Western Digital hard drives for years. Many drives are set to park the heads after just 8 seconds. With Windows 10 background tasks, it parks/unparks the heads constantly during idle. Which means they can exceed design limits within a couple of years or so. There is a DOS utility to expand the time. I was just hoping Windows 10 might have had a setting.

Boulder, Jan 8, 2018
  6. Boulder Win User
    Can't get the damn thing to boot from USB. May as well just stick the thing on ebay. Can't stand the thing clicking away all the time. Stick to windows XP on all my systems, far less hassle.

Boulder, Jan 8, 2018
  7. You did say this is a brand-new system, right?
    So raise a stink with HP! You're entitled to better.

margrave55, Jan 8, 2018
  8. Berton Win User

I use a number of WDC HDDs and don't notice any unusual noise with them. Most drives used to have a MTBF [Mean Time Between Failures] of 100,000 hours or maybe more. Most of the drives I've had fail, of different brands, were in external cases, USB and Ethernet, where the added interface in the case was at fault, the drives themselves with the printed circuit card on them worked after removal from the case and used in other devices made for the purpose such as the Thermatake BlacX docking station. A loud click from a drive can indicate imminent failure, it's usually the Voice Coil Relay retracting the read/write arms back to the power-off stop. And it's not always easy to totally eliminate electrical or software issues turning off the power to the drive.

Berton, Jan 8, 2018
  9. Boulder Win User
    It is definitely a known issue that many WD drives park the heads with 8 seconds of idle. Some say these drives are not suitable as an OS drive. People are exceeding the "design limit" within 6 months although it is not clear what the associated failure rates are. You can see the load cycle going-up in SMART. Design limit for most drives is 300000. WDIDLE3 can change the time for some drives but it seem it might not work on never drives. I cannot get my pc to boot from USB so cannot test the DOS exe. The problem has existed over 10 years and there is on ongoing thread in the WD community forum for the past year and most recent post today but WD don't seem interested.

Boulder, Jan 8, 2018
  10. lehnerus2000, Jan 9, 2018
  11. CountMike New Member
    Is that WD "Green" ? As fa as I know, only green has built in sleep timer, after all, it's "green" because of power saving feature.
    Have you tried to turn off the HDD sleep in your Power options plan ?

WD 8 second load cycle count [​IMG]

CountMike, Jan 9, 2018
  12. Boulder Win User
    Blue. HD sleep options made no difference.

Boulder, Jan 9, 2018
  13. CountMike New Member

I have 2 WD Blue HDDs, 1 and 2TB and they don't do that, they are always on. That, being a laptop I would look at HP's utilities and power saving options, it may be overriding other settings.

CountMike, Jan 9, 2018
  14. Boulder Win User
    Don't have any HP utilities. Have you looked at your load cycle counts in SMART?

Boulder, Jan 9, 2018
  15. CountMike New Member
    Nothing out of ordinary but it's also easy to notice if they are cycling. There's noticeable delay when accessing them if they are stopped.

CountMike, Jan 9, 2018
Thema:

1. WD 8 second load cycle count - Similar Threads - second load cycle

2. My new laptop has already 43 cycle count.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My new laptop has already 43 cycle count.: I bought a new ASUS Vivobook laptop. I decided to check the health of the battery and it showed 43 cycle count. But I recharged it only 1 time. What's the problem?...
  3. My new laptop has already 43 cycle count.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My new laptop has already 43 cycle count.: I bought a new ASUS Vivobook laptop. I decided to check the health of the battery and it showed 43 cycle count. But I recharged it only 1 time. What's the problem?...
  4. My new laptop has already 375 battery cycle counts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My new laptop has already 375 battery cycle counts: Hi, the last week I bought the HP 15s-eq1083ns laptop in a new state. But, when i did a check, and i applied the command "powercfg /batteryreport" I saw that my laptop has already 375 battery cycle counts. What its means? The battery of my laptop has been used 373 times?....
  5. My new laptop has already 375 battery cycle counts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My new laptop has already 375 battery cycle counts: Hi, the last week I bought the HP 15s-eq1083ns laptop in a new state. But, when i did a check, and i applied the command "powercfg /batteryreport" I saw that my laptop has already 375 battery cycle counts. What its means? The battery of my laptop has been used 373 times?....
  6. My new laptop has already 375 battery cycle counts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Battery Cycle Count is missing!

Battery Cycle Count is missing!: I generated the battery report & noticed that the cycle count is missing! [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-cycle-count-is-missing/0a07055b-b047-471b-b791-3fe29cc94098
  8. Battery cycle count shows 378 on a new laptop.

Battery cycle count shows 378 on a new laptop.: Hello, I just purchased the HP 15S EQ0024AU 2 days back. I ran powercfg/batteryreport from the command prompt and the battery cycle count shows 378 whereas in the HP assistant app it shows only 3. Does it mean the battery was used before hp put it in the laptop and the its...
  9. Updating for 8 hours and counting

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updating for 8 hours and counting: On my HP 255 G2 Notebook PC , I got a message that the April 2018 version was no longer supported which baffles me because this laptop did not have Windows 10 until August 2019 when I used the Free Upgrade Tool saved from Microsoft when I updated another PC. No clue why it...
  10. Battery Cycle count

in Windows 10 Customization
    Battery Cycle count: How do you do a battery cycle count on your Microsoft surface pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-cycle-count/d9e68d57-e978-4b26-acdd-30a5a1540074