Windows 10: WD Black 4TB no longer working

Discus and support WD Black 4TB no longer working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi , If this is not the correct location for this post, please let me know. Yesterday morning when I tried to start my PC, it was hanging on the Dell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RedLad, Sep 19, 2020.

1. RedLad Win User

WD Black 4TB no longer working

Hi ,

If this is not the correct location for this post, please let me know.

Yesterday morning when I tried to start my PC, it was hanging on the Dell logo screen. I plugged it out and tried again with the same thing, no start up.

I noticed there was a strange clicking/chugging kind of a sound so turns out it is one of my hard drives.

I borrowed a hard drive docking bay from a friend to see if it could be detected from that but had no luck trying that. Could anybody advise on what to do to try and retrieve my files from this drive?

Thank you,
    Paul

:)

RedLad, Sep 19, 2020
  2. HarvHer Win User

wd elements se 4tb is not recognized on "surface pro 6"

Hi,

Can't operate my new wd elements SE 4tb on my surface pro 6 running Windows10.

When connecting to the notebook, I can hear clicks from inside the wd device, and no recognition from the surface pro 6.

Connecting another WD passport essential 750Mb works ok.

Is this a fault problem with the WD elements SE 4tb? or drivers issues?

Any clue how to fix this problem will be appreciated, or its a faulty WD issue?

HarvHer, Sep 19, 2020
  3. Azza88 Win User
    4TB WD HDD not working

Good afternoon

Last week I bought a brand new 4TB Western digital HDD for my PC. I plugged it in, went into Disk Management and it came up no problem. I then formatted it, gave it a letter and started copying some files to the HDD. Mid way through copying, it stopped copying files for some reason and so i cancelled the copy. I then restarted my computer. Now only BIOS says there is a HDD and Windows no longer recognizes it at all. It now also takes around 5 minutes to boot my computer up whenever it is plugged in. Tried the HDD on several other computers but it was undetectable. It no longer comes up in Disk Management and so I can no longer reformat it.

Any advice or software suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Azza88, Sep 19, 2020
  4. entropy13 Win User

WD Red vs Caviar Black

Tech Report have one of the more comprehensive storage drive reviews out there, their latest is a review of a WD Red. It's a 4TB however...

But generally speaking, there's not much going for the Caviar Black especially with the price. Heck the 4TB Red is cheaper per GB than a 1TB Black. LOL

entropy13, Sep 19, 2020
Thema:

1. WD Black 4TB no longer working - Similar Threads - Black 4TB longer

2. Seagate One Touch HDD 4TB external hard drive no longer working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seagate One Touch HDD 4TB external hard drive no longer working.: My external hard drive, which was being used to store games on my Xbox One, suddenly stopped working after I moved the console from one location to another. What do I mean by that? The console does not seem to recognize it, despite the USB port being used to power the HDD I...
  3. Seagate One Touch HDD 4TB external hard drive no longer working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seagate One Touch HDD 4TB external hard drive no longer working.: My external hard drive, which was being used to store games on my Xbox One, suddenly stopped working after I moved the console from one location to another. What do I mean by that? The console does not seem to recognize it, despite the USB port being used to power the HDD I...
  4. Seagate One Touch HDD 4TB external hard drive no longer working.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. WD 4TB usb drive only allows 1 32GB backup locks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WD 4TB usb drive only allows 1 32GB backup locks: WD 4TB usb drive only allows 1 32GB and won't allow any more backups to stack on the 4TB, I m locked out even though I can get it mounted RW anyone else have trouble with a WD? ,...
  6. WD Elements 25A1 External 4TB Showing Up on Ubuntu, but not on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WD Elements 25A1 External 4TB Showing Up on Ubuntu, but not on Windows 10: The drive was working fine on Windows as well. I was copying files from external drive to another usb when suddenly it hanged. I pulled out the external drive and usb. When I connected external drive again, it never appeared on windows.The external drive does not apear in...
  7. Copying from WD 2TB Black to WD 4TB Black

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying from WD 2TB Black to WD 4TB Black: I've done this so infrequently that I keep forgetting how to to do it. I have multiple hard drives on my computer. I want to replace a WD 2 TB Black with a WD 4 TB Black, copying all content from the WD 2 TB to the new WD 4 TB Black. The Windows 10 OS is not on this drive. I...
  8. New WD Black 4TB HDD issues.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New WD Black 4TB HDD issues.: Hello, I just finished upgrading my computer. I have a 4TB WD Black Hard drive and a WD SN750 SSD installed, first time using two drives, and first time using a SSD. I installed new copy of Windows 10 on the SSD, and it shows as C: drive, and I intended to use the 4TB Hard...
  9. WD Black 4TB no longer working

WD Black 4TB no longer working: Hi , If this is not the correct location for this post, please let me know. Yesterday morning when I tried to start my PC, it was hanging on the Dell logo screen. I plugged it out and tried again with the same thing, no start up. I noticed there was a strange...
  10. wd elements se 4tb is not recognized on "surface pro 6"

wd elements se 4tb is not recognized on "surface pro 6": Hi, Can't operate my new wd elements SE 4tb on my surface pro 6 running Windows10. When connecting to the notebook, I can hear clicks from inside the wd device, and no recognition from the surface pro 6. Connecting another WD passport essential 750Mb works ok. Is this a...