Windows 10: WD disk errors, boot issues and possible bad blocks

Discus and support WD disk errors, boot issues and possible bad blocks in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Dell Inspiron 15R Win 10 v.1909 Western Digital Scorpio 300 GB (WDC WD3200BEVT-75ZCT2) Hi My hard drive appears to be having a few issues recently.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by seedy, Feb 22, 2020.

1. seedy Win User

WD disk errors, boot issues and possible bad blocks

Dell Inspiron 15R
    Win 10 v.1909
    Western Digital Scorpio 300 GB (WDC WD3200BEVT-75ZCT2)

Hi
    My hard drive appears to be having a few issues recently. Mainly, my laptop doesn't boot from sleep cleanly - it starts up with no screen visibility and auto restart mid-boot. It eventually starts but only after going through self-diagnostics and my manually selecting 'Cancel & Boot Windows 10 normally' (or words to that effect).

Also, I've checked the Event Viewer and found entries almost daily saying 'Event ID 7 : The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.'

Ive run a Western Digital Data Lifeguard full test (1.5 hrs) and it returned errors which it cannot fix (FAIL).
    I've also run the Win 10 CHKDSK program but it found no errors.

Ive now resorted to disabling Sleep Mode completely and shutting the system down whenever Im finished using it, but would really like to fix these issues if possible.

Can anyone please offer any advice.
    Many thanks in advance.

:)

seedy, Feb 22, 2020
  2. ikanza Win User

Windows cannot be installed to this disk - WDS

Hi All,

I am having an issue with imaging a Dell latitude 5590 laptop from WDS.

I have configured WDS correctly i think as it is allowing me to capture an image and boot the laptop to the WDS server, but when I am on the screen where I need to select which partition to install windows on I am getting the following error: Windows
    cannot be installed to this disk, the selected disk is of the GPT partition style

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ikanza, Feb 22, 2020
  3. HairyFool Win User
    Bad block on hard disk slowing programs down

What you should be aware of is that the hard drive controller has been doing exactly that. The drive is manufactured with unused sectors on the platters and if any used sector become difficult to read a spare sector can be mapped into its place.

There are a few reasons why they don't all get used but if the operating system actually "sees" a bad block it signifies that all possible spares have been used. In other words the disk may be in a worse condition than just the reported bad block.

Mapping out bad sectors manually was possible some years ago, disks now do it automatically.

HairyFool, Feb 22, 2020
  4. WD disk errors, boot issues and possible bad blocks

HDD Health Report: Crystal Disk Info, HD Tune, WD-Data Lifeguard Diagnostics.. pls help

Hey there, @alivehunter!

I'm truly sorry to hear about your struggle with the WD Blue drive! *Frown WD disk errors, boot issues and possible bad blocks :(
    The "CLASSNPN.SYS" error should have been resolved after the fresh install, but obviously the bad sectors are preventing this from happening.
    As the community already suggested - RMA should be your next step to end your headache with this HDD.
    Here are the steps to replacing your bad product: WD Support
    What you need to do is get in touch with our tech support first. Since you are from Mumbai, you should know that WD provides dedicated warranty support and service in India as well: Contact Support | WD Support
    The tech support will kindly walk you through the steps once again and let you know how to proceed.

Hope this helps you! Good luck! *Smile WD disk errors, boot issues and possible bad blocks :)
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Feb 22, 2020
Thema:

WD disk errors, boot issues and possible bad blocks

1. WD disk errors, boot issues and possible bad blocks - Similar Threads - disk errors boot

2. Windows 10 won't boot possibly BAD UPDATE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 won't boot possibly BAD UPDATE: I originally bought my windows 8 desktop in 2013. Then in 2016, I installed the free update to windows 10 and the system was great till 2019. In Oct 2019, the system wouldn't connect to internet because of bad updates. I got the Desktop unit to the Microsoft store, where a...
  3. Windows 10 won't boot possibly BAD UPDATE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 won't boot possibly BAD UPDATE: I originally bought my windows 8 desktop in 2013. Then in 2016, I installed the free update to windows 10 and the system was great till 2019. In Oct 2019, the system wouldn't connect to internet because of bad updates. I got the Desktop unit to the Microsoft store, where a...
  4. Windows 10 won't boot possibly BAD UPDATE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Possible bad drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Possible bad drivers: Hey guys, I've been getting quite alot of bluescreens for a while now since I built this computer in January this year. I've been doing alot of troubleshooting using Memtest and Intel Diagnostic tool for CPU. I found a thread...
  6. Bad adds block

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad adds block: Sometimes are Adds Are very cheap in show notification Please reqwuest all adds are Blocked and don't show again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-adds-block/af116ac5-5317-4a9f-a028-ff2eba4849f8
  7. Weird issues, possibly a bad driver?

Weird issues, possibly a bad driver?: I'm having some strange behavior. When I first boot up Windows, if I open Chrome immediately, it opens in under a second. However, once I've waited a minute, Chrome then takes 6-7 seconds to open. I've tried closing every program that I can, including processes in the Task...
  8. WD.... is it really that bad...?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WD.... is it really that bad...?: Magazine AV reviews always rate Windows Defender as terrible... worse than useless.... junk..... and other less than complementary comments. Are these justified...? For example, let us take the review in the August 2018 edition of Computer Shopper.... and I quote.......
  9. Too much disk thrashing with WD + Strange games issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Too much disk thrashing with WD + Strange games issue: Hello. Even if I am running my games from SSD I have noticed a lot of hard disk activity when launching them and a lot of almost non stop disk activity coming from WD (Hell, it seems it's performing a quick scan almost twice a day). I am not saying WD isn't good but...
  10. System Errors Due to Bad Blocks on Hard Drive

System Errors Due to Bad Blocks on Hard Drive: To begin, my laptop was working fine until inexplicably while watching an online video my computer started freezing up on me, with every task, click, and action taking painfully long to complete. I quickly restarted my laptop, and the first thing I noticed that the boot time...