Windows 10: WD Elements 2 TB Drive Problem

Discus and support WD Elements 2 TB Drive Problem in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Another thread (External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer) prompted me to post this. I've got the WD Elements External... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Wiley Coyote, May 7, 2017.

1. WD Elements 2 TB Drive Problem

Another thread (External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer) prompted me to post this.

I've got the WD Elements External drive connected with a USB cable. Love it, works great. Until I burn a DVD with the OEM burner in the pc. At which point Windows disables the WD drive, with the message "Windows detected a problem & disabled the device". My only remedy has been physically disconnect, power down everything, reconnect and power up (WD Elements first) then the system. Everything works properly until the next DVD burn. I don't make many DVDs anymore.

Device Manager lists it as Mass Storage. It requires no driver, however Windows uses a Microsoft driver for it. I've checked on updating that one with no success.

I just ran the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics and the drive passed. Anyone got any ideas here.

:)

Wiley Coyote, May 7, 2017

2. External hard drive formatted for xbox one wont show up to be reformatted for pc

I had bought a WD elements 2 tb external hard drive for my xbox one and used it for a while but now i want to use it for my pc but it wont show up so i can reformat it, i have already tried to ask support and they were of no help so how to i get my hard
    drive to work on my desktop pc now?

TYRANDREWSAUR, May 7, 2017
  3. Format External Hard Drive

Has anyone formatted a 2 TB External WD drive, used as desktop backup?

KathyJones67, May 7, 2017
  4. WD Elements 2 TB Drive Problem

Hi Clayton

When this happens what kind of events are being log? I would hope the event manager may have better detail.

When you connect your external drive is this through a port on front of machine or one integrated to Motherboard at rear. Where I'm heading, USB power output.

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 8, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    I don't see such an issue with my 3 WDC MyBook drives. Are you burning data directly from the USB drives? Do you have the issue if first copying the data to the internal drive? Does the drive have its own power supply? Is it plugged into a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 port? Of the 3 MyBook drives I have 2 are USB 2.0 and 1 is USB 3.0. I have to agree with Caledon Ken about power from the USB ports relating to Windows controlling the ports.

Berton, May 8, 2017
  6. simrick Win User
    I think Ken may be on to something here. I had an optical drive once that was doing all sorts of crazy things to a system. Turned out to be an internal cable "going" bad. Once I replaced the data cable, all was well.

simrick, May 8, 2017
  7. This started with the first disc I burned a couple of days after initial installation of the WD External drive. Took me a few minutes to figure it out. But it is repeatable. Every time.

USB 3.0 Controller, 2 front ports are 3.0 and the rear ones 2.0. WD drive has it's own power supply and connected in the rear. Says it's good for 2.0 or 3.0.

Looking at Event Logs, I found nothing that I could identify. But bear in mind, I don't know much about what I'm looking at there anyway.

Burning the DVDs is done with files from the HDD and no involvement from the WD external. It's only used for a backup device. And written to several times a day following whatever I may work on. FWIW, write caching is not enabled on any of the ports.

Wiley Coyote, May 8, 2017
  8. WD Elements 2 TB Drive Problem

When error occurs click on clock and get exact system time. You should be able to match against a couple of events in System and Application logs. The event or surrounding events should have some of the same words of the error message you reported.

Since device has it own power that pretty much rules out USB port power.

Caledon Ken, May 8, 2017
  9. simrick Win User
    Is there any clue in Reliability History?
    Maybe an IRQ conflict?

simrick, May 8, 2017
  10. RolandJS Win User
    One wild thing to try: assign the CD/DVD reader/writer/burner drive letter I (i); assign that WD HD whatever drive letter you want, it uses the same usb port each time, correct? I'm probably sawing off my own tree limb in this thread for this situation, however, after I assigned a few drive letters to internal and external devices, they seemed to not disappear so much, stayed around much more.

RolandJS, May 8, 2017
  11. These are from the last DVD event:

WD Elements 2 TB Drive Problem [​IMG]

Burning the DVD

Attempting to access the WD External Drive

That discovery of the disabled drive?

Edit:
    From the date I wrote on that last DVD, these are the only events I could find for that time frame.

12. I looked up this error and added the words Western Digital.

In most articles I read it pointed to updating driver or an issue with device.

You could run WD tools against drive but I doubt that any failure would be detected, you yourself said it runs great until you try to burn DVD. This would leave you with a driver issue or one of the issues previously mentioned like cables or conflicting IRQ.

Not sure on how you track down IRQ conflict. Other members?

Edit 1:

You might also head into device manager and look at the properties for your WD drive. There should be a "Policy" tab. You could change to "Better Performance" to see if that stabilizes.

Caledon Ken, May 8, 2017
  13. WD Elements 2 TB Drive Problem

Hey Ken. I did run WD Lifeguard Diagnostics on it and it passed. Hadn't thought about changing performance. I'll look at it. WD says it doesn't use a driver, however Windows assigns a Microsoft Driver and it's the latest. Who knows? Things do go bump in the night.

Just updated to CU, soon as I finish rummaging around I'll see if maybe it works now.

14. jumanji Win User
    Just a thought. What burning software are you using to burn your DVD? Uninstall it and burn your DVD with some other program. Check whether the problem goes away.

The other suggestion you can try: Connect your optical drive to some other slot on your motherboard. Give a drive letter like X,Y,Z etc., so that your external drive does not come into drive letter conflicts.

jumanji, May 9, 2017
  15. Good morning jumanji. I have no idea about the software, hadn't given it a thought. It's whatever Dell uses as a PnP burner. The CU install yesterday fixed a couple of minor glitches that I had and I'm hoping the same can be said about this one. I'm going to test it out this morning and will report back. And I may open it up and try your suggestion about moving the connection on the m-board.

Wiley Coyote, May 9, 2017
Thema:

WD Elements 2 TB Drive Problem

1. WD Elements 2 TB Drive Problem - Similar Threads - Elements Drive Problem

2. WD Elements 1tb not recognized In Devices and Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WD Elements 1tb not recognized In Devices and Drives: Hello,I have a Lenovo Legion 7 running Windows 10. I'm plugging in a WD Elements drive and it's not seen by Devices and Drives.Going into Disk Management reveals it, as shown in attached images. It's labeled 'healthy', but not NTFS or FAT, which I'm reading are the desired...
  3. WD Elements 1tb not recognized In Devices and Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WD Elements 1tb not recognized In Devices and Drives: Hello,I have a Lenovo Legion 7 running Windows 10. I'm plugging in a WD Elements drive and it's not seen by Devices and Drives.Going into Disk Management reveals it, as shown in attached images. It's labeled 'healthy', but not NTFS or FAT, which I'm reading are the desired...
  4. WD Elements 1tb not recognized In Devices and Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. file history will not backup to a WD black 5 TB drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file history will not backup to a WD black 5 TB drive: I am trying to backup a drive i use for photos. drive A. I want to back it up to a larger WD black 5 TB hard drive plugged in through a USB on top of my tower. I can see the drive in my files and I can copy files to the drive. File history isn't recognizing my drive or if it...
  6. WD-My Passport 2 TB

WD-My Passport 2 TB: Hi: My WD My Passport USB hard drive shows as "currently in use", with a continuously flashing LED. This starts up randomly. I am unable to eject this USB device, and only way that I am able to stop it is to restart Windows. Is this a sign of its age? It is nearing Full;...
  7. USB 2 TB flash drive

USB 2 TB flash drive: My computer read this usb drive at one time now isnt reading it. Can anyone help. I checked the drivers and the settings but it hasnt helped https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-2-tb-flash-drive/8eaf1b7f-26d1-4e4d-9152-065263607892
  8. Large 4 tb drive but Windows only recognizes 2 TB

Large 4 tb drive but Windows only recognizes 2 TB: Trying to figure out a workaround to utilize the second partition on my 4 TB drive. The drive shows an active partition of 2048 GB. I cannot format, activate or do anything....
  9. WD Elements

WD Elements: I have a WD Elements but have no idea whether it is a 500mb,1TB, 2TB or what ever. How do I find out please? 117424
  10. Cannot see my ext WD 2 TB HDD

Cannot see my ext WD 2 TB HDD: Ran into this problem transferring media files from my laptop to the WD ext hdd. Both USB 3. "My Book", my 2 TB WD ext HDD I cannot be seen on my laptop nor my media mini pc I found it in Disk Management. It is shown as Disk 2. It has a black streak all the way (full?) It...