Windows 10: WD External Failing need advice

Discus and support WD External Failing need advice in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a WD Passport 2TB External Drive. It is a year old and always worked well However in the past few days it has struggled. Sometimes works but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JO69, Mar 31, 2021.

1. JO69 Win User

WD External Failing need advice

I have a WD Passport 2TB External Drive. It is a year old and always worked well
    However in the past few days it has struggled. Sometimes works but sometimes not.
    It is still under guarantee so know I can return it.
    Luckily I have always backed up my files
    Always bought WD drives and the question is would you advise a different make?
    Also all my personal files are on it and concerned about returning it since sometimes it will work!

:)

2. cobrasl Win User

External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer

followed steps..

the partition displayed as below...

WD External Failing need advice [​IMG]

as advised I selected "list".. and for a long time it was like this..

WD External Failing need advice [​IMG]

cobrasl, Mar 31, 2021
  3. WD Elements external drive

Hi Edward,

To assist you further, I would like to ask some questions:

• Do you get any error message?
    • How are you connecting your External Drive to your computer?

I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps provided below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in search box and press Enter.
    • Click on “View all” on the top left pane.
    • Click on "Hardware and Devices" from the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Thank you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 31, 2021
  4. WD External Failing need advice

Windows 10 not finding WD passport external hard drive

Hi Shirley,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that the external drive is not detecting in Windows 10. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Is the issue specific to the WD external drive or any other devices also?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • Did you try connecting it to any other devices and check what is the result?
    Please post us back with more information to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Mar 31, 2021
Thema:

WD External Failing need advice

1. WD External Failing need advice - Similar Threads - External Failing need

2. Need urgent advice,.?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need urgent advice,.?: Just open My PC with wins 10 _ and on the lowerright corner, where appears the "Notifications" Show this..I'm referring to the last icon. Which is the copilot icon.. when I hovered the mouse on it. Say - Copilot Preview never showed before. on the notifications area. Do am I...
  3. WD external drive issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WD external drive issue: I have a WD external drive that is recognized in Control Panel of my Window 10 PC but doesn't show up in File Explorer. The drive worked until recently with this PC and it works properly when used with my Window 11 laptop Many thanks in advance Keith...
  4. WD external drive issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WD external drive issue: I have a WD external drive that is recognized in Control Panel of my Window 10 PC but doesn't show up in File Explorer. The drive worked until recently with this PC and it works properly when used with my Window 11 laptop Many thanks in advance Keith...
  5. WD external drive issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. WD External Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WD External Drive: Upon initializing my external drive, i got a message "request failed due to fatal device hardware error". What are my options? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wd-external-drive/9ffc4c0d-9621-4b0a-9be2-eeddddb8e2fa
  7. WD External Failing need advice

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WD External Failing need advice: I have a WD Passport 2TB External Drive. It is a year old and always worked well However in the past few days it has struggled. Sometimes works but sometimes not. It is still under guarantee so know I can return it. Luckily I have always backed up my files Always bought WD...
  8. Need networking advice

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need networking advice: I am trying to transfer files from my laptop (Windows 10 x64, ver 1909) to my desktop (Win 10 x64 ver 20H2. I have a lot of options, but can't seem to get any to work: 1) Google Drive--I appear to have two Google Drives, one talking to my phone and laptop, the other to my...
  9. WD Backup installer fails to recognise WD drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WD Backup installer fails to recognise WD drive: I just bought a My Passport. I cannot get the WD Backup to install. During the process I get a message that says it cannot see a target drive. The drive is visible in windows 10 explorer and is recognised by Windows Backup. Looking forward to your help. Thanks...
  10. External hard drive . I need advice

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    External hard drive . I need advice: I just bought an external hard drive and it has their software . So my question is should I use their software or use what I already have on my computer . what happens if I clean that drive of all software or do I have to learn all that stuff from the drive manufacture? and...