Windows 10: WD going crazy with permissions

Discus and support WD going crazy with permissions in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So it seems that since I booted my laptop this morning, Windows Defender went crazy with permissions, blocking both Firefox and Set Point Device... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by doriandiaconu, Sep 3, 2017.

1. WD going crazy with permissions

So it seems that since I booted my laptop this morning, Windows Defender went crazy with permissions, blocking both Firefox and Set Point Device (Mouse) from doing changes to the Desktop folder.

I also wasn't able at first to copy files from my external HDD to my laptop.

I'm on the latest Insider Preview build (fast ring).

Any advice on this?

:)

doriandiaconu, Sep 3, 2017

2. WD MyBook File Permissions Issue / WD Customer Service No Help

Hi Brian,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

As you are unable to transfer some files from an external hard drive to the computer requesting for Administrator permissions, I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to provide administrator permissions to the particular folder and check if it
    helps.

• Right click on the folder and select
      Properties.
    • Click on Edit button in Properties windows. Click ok to confirm UAC elevation request.
    • Select user/group from permission windows or click
      Add to add other user or group.
    • Now under Permission section check the rights which you want to grant i.e. check “Full Control” under the “Allow” column to assign full access rights control permissions. (Generally we add ‘Everyone’ to given permission to all
      the users on the computer).
    • Edit the permission to Full Control for ‘Everyone’.
    • Click OK for changes to take effect and click ok again to exit from Properties window.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Sep 3, 2017
  3. WD MyBook File Permissions Issue / WD Customer Service No Help

I was told by WD support that my issue wasn't a WD product issue, but a Microsoft Windows issue. I'm using Windows 10. My WD MyBook external will allow me to drag and drop files from the external to my desktop, while denying me access to others. I get this
    notification on some files, "File Access Denied: You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file"

I am the admin on my account, and ownership of the drive has been claimed, though, for some strange reason it says SYSTEM.

Anybody have experience with this? I have some incredibly important files that I can no longer access.

BrianHarris2525, Sep 3, 2017
  4. WD going crazy with permissions

Have you enabled Folder Protection? Desktop is part of those protected folders.

TairikuOkami, Sep 5, 2017
  5. Don't know what happened. After a reboot it went fine.

doriandiaconu, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

WD going crazy with permissions

1. WD going crazy with permissions - Similar Threads - going crazy permissions

2. BSOD Going crazy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Going crazy: I have done everything I can find on the subject of BSOD multiple errors, random.RAM - OKDrives - OKDrivers - UpdatedChipset - Updated to currentMemory dmp - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjQkdFsggUhD0h6v3uX4mF19jcvs?e=JnSStw includes MTBRunning:AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60...
  3. BSOD Going crazy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD Going crazy: I have done everything I can find on the subject of BSOD multiple errors, random.RAM - OKDrives - OKDrivers - UpdatedChipset - Updated to currentMemory dmp - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjQkdFsggUhD0h6v3uX4mF19jcvs?e=JnSStw includes MTBRunning:AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60...
  4. screen going crazy

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    screen going crazy: first what looks like bubbles appear across the top of my screen, second my mouse disappears, third screen will zoom in and out, random dropdown menus will appear or random windows will open and close, finally I have to power off and back on to regain control....
  5. Fan going crazy . . .

in Windows 10 Support
    Fan going crazy . . .: Hi: My ASUS laptop fan has gone crazy lately. It runs wide open for a half a minute or more then shuts down to an idle, then goes up full blast again after a half a minute or so. It never ramps up or down, it's either idling or wide open. A complete restart doesn't help....
  6. Mouse is going crazy.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mouse is going crazy.: My doesn't click with certain programs. I can play my game fine, but I can't use my calculator or navigate my settings with it. It highlights what I'm pointing to, but it won't click....
  7. 365 going crazy

in Microsoft Office and 365
    365 going crazy: Recently, I have been unable to access my files without "signing in." When I click on "Sign in" I get a box asking me to insert my phone # or email. I am intermittently unable to type in the space provided. Should I chance to hit it just right, I then get a message that I...
  8. Devices going crazy

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Devices going crazy: Hello all, Yesterday I've tried to plug in my Game pad and play some games but... I've figured out that my Game pad is recognized as a Mouse. I would like to mention that 1 month ago (last time I've used it) I didn't have any issue. Also I would like to mention that Devices...
  9. SCVHOST GOING CRAZY

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SCVHOST GOING CRAZY: Please help me, I really hate scvhost it makes my gaming experience become lag it consumes a lot of internet connection and consume more priority than my dota2. some people say its windows update, but ive downloaded all of the update, please help me to permanently kill...
  10. Cursor is going crazy

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cursor is going crazy: My cursor is flying all over the screen and there is a ghost cicle on the edge that is pulsing. When i have shut fown its okay gor a little bit the starts up again...