Windows 10: WD keeps asking for sending Grim Dawn executable

Discus and support WD keeps asking for sending Grim Dawn executable in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello. I love WD but this is becoming quite the annoyance. I am currently playing Grim Dawn a lot (among others) but everytime I launch the game, WD... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by eLPuSHeR, Jun 10, 2016.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

WD keeps asking for sending Grim Dawn executable

Hello.

I love WD but this is becoming quite the annoyance. I am currently playing Grim Dawn a lot (among others) but everytime I launch the game, WD insists on sending the Grim Dawn executable to them for analysis. I agreed and sent it. However it keeps asking me for doing so.

Grim Dawn is on Steam and up to date (v1.0.04)

Any ideas?. It's not a big deal but annoying nonetheless.

:)

eLPuSHeR, Jun 10, 2016
  2. Mary L59 Win User

How to send email to multiple contacts in Windows 10 mail?

I know. I keep hoping but........................ it's looking grim.

Mary L59, Jun 10, 2016
  3. WD passport ultra folder unable to open in windows 10 despite unlocking password

Since this is a WD rather than a Windows problem, your best bet is to check the WD FAQs or send a note to the WD helpdesk.

Frederik Long, Jun 10, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

In the settings for WD make sure you have automatic sample submission turned on then it will stop asking you each time.

WD keeps asking for sending Grim Dawn executable [​IMG]

philc43, Jun 10, 2016
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Yep. It is disabled right now. But... I would like to know what is sending...

eLPuSHeR, Jun 10, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    As far as I know it is sending suspicious samples of executable code (strings of data taken from the file you are loading) that WD thinks could be potentially harmful until MS determines if it is a threat or not. At some point it will recognise that it is not a threat and that particular string of code will not trigger automatic sampling.

philc43, Jun 10, 2016
  7. ARC1020 Win User
    I don't know the answer to your question, however this post is just to confirm that it's not just you it's happening to, but I have also experienced this.

As mentioned in post No.2, maybe enabling 'Automatic Sample Submission' will work as a temporary solution. You can also add specific processes to an exclusion list from the same settings screen, but that's not something I would recommend doing.

I do not know the criteria that Windows Defender uses to send a sample submission to Microsoft, the file I've just tested it with (not Grim Dawn) is code signed and Defender still wants to send a sample of the EXE to Microsoft, but I don't know whether it's just because it's a new executable and it's standard practice for them to get samples of all new exe's, or whether there's something the exe does that doesn't conform to some sort of best practices.

However, I think there could be a genuine fault with Windows Defender in this case. Ordinarily, if you have 'Automatic Sample Submission' switched off, Windows Defender will ask you whether you want to review or send a sample to Microsoft (as per the below notification). After that first time, even if you re-download the exact same file from the same location it doesn't normally ask again, so ordinarily it remembers the file and that it's asked you.

However, with the file I just tested (where it keeps asking to submit the same EXE sample to Microsoft), I found that the notification changed after the first notification and it no longer has the 'Send Files' or 'Review' buttons. Also if you click on either the notification itself or in the Action Centre, the notifications just disappears and no longer displays the separate 'review files' window. When you re-boot, the notification comes back again. After about 4-5 reboots it seems to have stopped asking now, so maybe it will stop for you too on it's own accord.

Update to original post: It initially stopped asking after 4-5 reboots, but the problem later returned. Therefore ignore that part.

ARC1020, Jun 10, 2016
  8. RolandJS Win User

Just a wild thought -- is it possible that some log and data cleaners such as ccleaner, if such are flagged to include WD, will delete said logs and data history? If the log and/or history is gone -- would WD "not remember" and send the file again?

RolandJS, Jun 10, 2016
  9. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Hmm. The main question that remain is: why is asking for the same file over and over?. Maybe it's due to what Philc43 said, that samples are just pieces of code. In that case it's a weird and little efficient way of sending samples IMHO.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable about WD can shed some light on this...

PS - In the interim, I am going to do an easy test: I am going to pack the Grim Dawn executable with UPX to change its structure on purpose. Let's see if WD behaves the same way.

eLPuSHeR, Jun 10, 2016
  10. eLPuSHeR Win User
    It seems Grim Dawn executable is already packed. Maybe that's why WD finds it suspicious.

BTW: Does anybody know any PE identifier that will work under w10 and is up to date?

eLPuSHeR, Jun 10, 2016
  11. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I have set "auto sending of samples" to enabled because today WD minimized my game while I was playing.

eLPuSHeR, Jun 11, 2016
  12. ARC1020 Win User
    According to Event Viewer it should be sending the following files to Microsoft:

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\LocalCopy\{Identifier Number}-Filename.exe
    C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\MPSampleSubmit\client_manifest.xml
    C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\WER1C6.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

However, looking at the network traffic when choosing to submit the file, MSASCui.exe connects to watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net, but doesn't actually upload the exe file for sample submission. However, I don't know whether that's normal or not as this is the first time it's misbehaved.

Yeah, I'm not sure what else can be done until Microsoft issue a fix. I've found it makes no difference whether you choose to send the file or not send the file, it will still keep asking regardless. So even though enabling 'Automatic Sample Submission' doesn't cure the problem, at least you won't keep getting notifications for now.

ARC1020, Jun 11, 2016
  13. eLPuSHeR Win User

Agreed. Thanks for your reply ARC1020. I think it may be a bug.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. WD keeps asking for sending Grim Dawn executable - Similar Threads - keeps asking sending

2. Ask for username and password to execute adminitrative actions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ask for username and password to execute adminitrative actions: How can I configure Windows 11 to ask for user and password when I execute an installation, configuration or any action that requires administrative rights when UAC is enabled?I have a Windows 11 Home edition with UAC as allways notify, and when I login with a Account that...
  3. Ask for username and password to execute adminitrative actions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ask for username and password to execute adminitrative actions: How can I configure Windows 11 to ask for user and password when I execute an installation, configuration or any action that requires administrative rights when UAC is enabled?I have a Windows 11 Home edition with UAC as allways notify, and when I login with a Account that...
  4. Horizon Zero Dawn Crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Horizon Zero Dawn Crashing: Cracked version of Horizon Zero Dawn is always crashing in the middle of the game. Please help to fix this.[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/horizon-zero-dawn-crashing/97ceab7e-4c59-4602-ac3c-722ea2be260c
  5. Keeps asking for password

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keeps asking for password: I had an issue with my password a few months ago and had to change it. Ever since, everything I was automatically signed into with my old password, keeps asking me for my password. All Microsoft related products. It's driving me nuts. I have clicked the "Keep me signed in"...
  6. Why can't Windows 10 installer install on my NVME WD Black? keeps asking for drivers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why can't Windows 10 installer install on my NVME WD Black? keeps asking for drivers: So I have installed Windows previously to these PC. I got two SSD's to use on RAID setup with Windows and since the Motherboard manual said I had to reinstall Windows I did a format and proceded to install Windows but the installer doesn't find a driver for the NVME or wtv. I...
  7. Windows Defender keep asking to send Chrome SecurePreferences file.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender keep asking to send Chrome SecurePreferences file.: Hi, Starting today I keep getting message that Windows Defender want to send Chrome SecurePreferences file. There 2 problems here: 1. Windows Defender keep asking, even though I already click Don't Send several times. Why? 2. The file is SecurePreferences. Why do you...
  8. WD keeps asking for restart to clear TPM module

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WD keeps asking for restart to clear TPM module: Hi folks I'm geeting incessant nags from WD to restart to clear TPM module --when I do a restart and clear the TPM it still keeps nagging Any ideas on latest W10 version and update PC is HP Envy. Intel I5 Cheers jimbo 113466
  9. Big trouble with Grim Dawn + Win Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Big trouble with Grim Dawn + Win Defender: Hello guys. For anyone who could be interested. Of course, your mileage may vary. 1.0.0.7 - Performance degradation over time - stutters after a while - Grim Dawn Forums 75089
  10. Drivers for a Blackweb Grim Gaming Mouse?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drivers for a Blackweb Grim Gaming Mouse?: So I got a Blackweb Grim Gaming Mouse from a friend, no box it was used a bit. Is there any software available for it or a manual online? I've tried googling with no luck. 51089