Windows 10: WD My Book Essential unresponsive

Discus and support WD My Book Essential unresponsive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello,we have a 3TB WD My Book Essential with very critical data. It was working fine on windows XP and 7. I tried to move it to a new dell workstation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Militchin, May 18, 2021.

1. Militchin Win User

WD My Book Essential unresponsive

Hello,we have a 3TB WD My Book Essential with very critical data. It was working fine on windows XP and 7. I tried to move it to a new dell workstation with windows 10. It connected and showed the directory structure fine. When I tried to open a file it said it was not accessible. So, I restarted the computer with the hard drive connected and after that I started receiving message that it is unresponsive. I can see it in the disk manager, but it shows only the size. The icon for the drive is a CD. I connected back to XP, but the message was the same.Thank you,Valentin

:)

Militchin, May 18, 2021
  2. PamMoncel Win User

WD My Book Essential

My computer will not recognize WD My Book after I have saved several pictures to it.

PamMoncel, May 18, 2021
  3. Western Digital My Book Essential and Windows 10

Hey there, @Ninja_49!

I'm really sorry to hear about your connectivity issues with the WD My Book Essential and Windows 10. WD My Book Essential unresponsive :(

I'd recommend you to go to your motherboard/computer manufacturer's website and make sure you update the USB hub controller drivers from there, rather than letting Windows Updates do that for you.

Here you can find some more troubleshooting steps, that you might want to try as well.

Another thing that might help is
    uninstalling and reinstalling
    the WD My Book Essential external drive as a device from Device Manager.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted!

SuperSoph_WD, May 18, 2021
  4. Ninja_49 Win User

Western Digital My Book Essential and Windows 10

Has anyone figured out how to get Windows 10 to see and recognize WD My Book Essential 1TB? WD is not providing anything at all, their driver stops updating after Windows 7, any Windows beyond 7 will not read or find the WD Book. Anyone has any driver
    update from Microsoft that will solve the issue? Please help!!

Ninja_49, May 18, 2021
Thema:

1. WD My Book Essential unresponsive - Similar Threads - Book Essential unresponsive

2. WD Book 3TB Cannot be Accessed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WD Book 3TB Cannot be Accessed: Windows 10 Pro - 1909, OS Build: 18363.657 Howdy Folks, *Smile Shortly after a successful Macrium Reflect full backup [SSD Primary Image & HDD Secondary Files & Folders .mrbak] on my desktop the Book failed backing up my laptop. Disk Manager says it needs to be initialized...
  3. Can't re-connect to WD My Book Live

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't re-connect to WD My Book Live: I have a WD My Book Live network drive which basically holds all my files (docs, photos, music etc.); up until yesterday, the shares on this were mapped to 4 letters (J:, K:, L:, M;). Yesterday, the power was cut off to the electrical circuit it's on briefly. Since then, I...
  4. WD Book not recognized by windows 10

WD Book not recognized by windows 10: I have seen that a lot of people have this problem. I just bought a new system today and all my data was backed up on my WD Book. Using the WD tools I have verified there is no problem with the Drive. It does not show up in file manager. I have tried to change drive...
  5. WD My Book World Edition (White)

WD My Book World Edition (White): After building a PC with win 10, i've not had my WD my book world edition used for a good while, decided to plug it in and install the drivers etc. Plugged it into a switch and it's not being recognised at all, even downloaded the WD cd with the drivers and the detection...
  6. Connecting to WD My Book Live

Connecting to WD My Book Live: I can log into My Book Live, but when I go to File Explorer My Book Live doesn't appear. On a separate PC using Windows 10 it works fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/connecting-to-wd-my-book-live/eeaf8f94-b8fb-41ff-8718-153ca3f41d95
  7. Need to automatically backup WD My CLoud to WD My Book

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Need to automatically backup WD My CLoud to WD My Book: I have a 2TB WD My Cloud NAS and a 3 TB WD My Book USB drive. I want to back up the NAS to the USB drive automatically but the software that comes with the My Cloud won't do that. Does anyone know of a free or cheap program that will copy the contents of the NAS to the USB...
  8. WD My book not shoving up any data/partition

WD My book not shoving up any data/partition: Hi! On my external drive “My Book”, 2tb usb3 Model Number: WDC20EARX-32PASB0 (ATA) bought in 2012 Led started blinking in an anomalous manner, and it was connecting and disconnecting from pc continuosly. Supposing it may be a powersupply failure or a usb interface...
  9. computer will not boot if WD MY BOOK is plugged in

computer will not boot if WD MY BOOK is plugged in: I recently bought A WD MY BOOK ,but now my computer will not boot if WD MY BOOK is plugged in. What can I do? Other than the obvious 73680
  10. Problem with WD My Book WD Unlocker showing twice when in Explore

Problem with WD My Book WD Unlocker showing twice when in Explore: I have a WD 3tb My Book using WD Unlocker for the drive. I use this drive unlocked as I am the only one using the drive and no password required. There are 2 problems I'm having. The first is that when I start Win 10 Pro, 64bit, I get an error message telling me that "The...