Windows 10: WD MyCloud shows up with generic icons

Discus and support WD MyCloud shows up with generic icons in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a 3TB WD MyCloud NAS that is not showing up with right icons in file explorer. The NAS shows up under "Computers" and "Storage devices" and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Damun, May 13, 2020.

1. Damun Win User

WD MyCloud shows up with generic icons

I have a 3TB WD MyCloud NAS that is not showing up with right icons in file explorer.
    The NAS shows up under "Computers" and "Storage devices" and I have acces to the NAS, so everything is working fine.
    I have created desktop shortcuts by right-clicking on these icons.

The icons are just generic MS icons:

WD MyCloud shows up with generic icons [​IMG]

It would be nice if the icons looked like this:

Minor problem, i know...
    Is there a fix for this?

:)

Damun, May 13, 2020
  2. Damun Win User

I have a 3TB WD MyCloud NAS that is not showing up with right icons in file explorer.
    The NAS shows up under "Computers" and "Storage devices" and I have acces to the NAS, so everything is working fine.
    I have created desktop shortcuts by right-clicking on these icons.

The icons are just generic MS icons:

It would be nice if the icons looked like this:

Minor problem, i know...
    Is there a fix for this?

Damun, May 23, 2020
  3. Berton Win User

My File Explorer shows this for my several drives including 2 WD 2TB NAS drives:

Right-click and Properties of the NAS drives and USB drives shows nothing about changing the icon.

Berton, May 23, 2020
  4. sygnus21 Win User

Not on mine; but I also think it depends on what protocols you're using for streaming. If you're not using DLNA you may get the device icon. Turning on DLNA off gets a basic streaming device icon (at least on my WD NAS).

@Berton, I think is also depends on the "NAS". I'm running a 4-bay Western Digital My Cloud Pro (PR4100)

sygnus21, May 23, 2020
Thema:

1. WD MyCloud shows up with generic icons - Similar Threads - MyCloud shows generic

2. Icons on Task Bar not showing correctly. Instead, it's showing a generic icon for applications.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons on Task Bar not showing correctly. Instead, it's showing a generic icon for applications.: This is what I'm seeing on my task bar:Most of the icons for my programs are showing some type of generic icon like the one circled in yellow. This happened randomly. How do I get the proper icons to display?...
  3. Generic icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Generic icon: [img] Greetings, I have notepad files on the desktop, but the icons for these are generic (the last file in the picture). Someone else had this problem. They were told to delete a file: %localAppData%\IconCache.db I have deleted the file and rebooted but the icons are...
  4. WD MyCloud and Sync Software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WD MyCloud and Sync Software: Hello All, Anyone have a recommendation for software that syncs software between folders on my PC and a WD Mycloud? WD used to give us the software for free but now they have moved to a program called GoodSync. I am not really sold on it as It is a bit cumbersome and I don't...
  5. Generic Icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Generic Icons: I needed to update an icon on my desktop. I had saved the new icon in my download folder. I went there to update the icon. Now I can't find the original generic icon folder. Does anyone have its file location? Thank you!...
  6. Generic icons showing instead of pictures

in Windows 10 Customization
    Generic icons showing instead of pictures: I am a Windows 10 user. Some of the icons are not showing pictures on the thumbnails, just a generic icon. Other images are showing. It's a mixture. The correct view options are checked/unchecked and the problem persist on any size icon. Can you help me with this issue?...
  7. some icons show blank generic icon

in Windows 10 Support
    some icons show blank generic icon: i have a problem with my windows 10 desktop (1903 built 18362.952) where the icons will be blanked (see the attachement with the red squares) - how do i reset it? it also appears in file explorer. it does not effect my programs operation however. 149110
  8. Devices and Printers Show Only Generic Icons

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Devices and Printers Show Only Generic Icons: Accessing Devices and Printers in Control Panel does not show enhanced icons for my mouse and my printer at all. However, when refreshing the Devices and Printers window, each tiny clock stalls on some devices, meaning 'Device set up in progress'. This happens after...
  9. Unable to access NAS (WD Mycloud)

Unable to access NAS (WD Mycloud): I recently acquired and installed a WD Mycloud for the purpose of backing up all my computers, including my company's notebook. I cannot get the company notebook (Win 10 Enterprise) to see the Mycloud device. It does see all the other devices on my home network. All my other...
  10. MyCloud NAS not showing up in Network computers

MyCloud NAS not showing up in Network computers: Hi everyone! Just got an ASUS ZenBook UX305 and am having trouble mapping network drives as I can't connect to the devices via explorer (either in the list in Network under "computers" or my manually browsing to the device name or the IP address). It's like it doesn't...