Windows 10: We can't create the recovery drive

Discus and support We can't create the recovery drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Is there any way past the message "We can't create the recovery drive" when using Create a Recovery Drive? It worked for me, once. But since then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Swifty, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Swifty Win User

We can't create the recovery drive

Is there any way past the message "We can't create the recovery drive" when using Create a Recovery Drive?

It worked for me, once. But since then I've been unable to recreate this trick.
    It works if I uncheck "Back up system files to the recovery drive". But since I've already had a few instances of "Critical File Corruption", it seems like a good idea to have a backup of those system files...

:)

Swifty, Aug 4, 2016
  2. Arun B J Win User

We can't create the recovery drive.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1:

Perform System File Check (SFC), and then check if this fixes the issue.

Follow the steps:

a. Press “Windows Key + Q” to open Charms Bar.

b. Type cmd without quotes in the search box.

c. On the left pane, right click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

d. Type sfc /scannow’ without quotes and hit enter.

Note: It may ask for windows installation DVD to fix and to enable SFC to make more than minor repairs. Some files saved on your computer might get deleted when fixing corrupted files.

Method 2:

I would also suggest you to run the System update readiness command. It detects incorrect manifests, cabinets or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with corrected version available. Follow the steps.

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click command prompt (Run as administrator).
    • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press
      Enter key after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type
    Exit, and then press Enter.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Aug 4, 2016
  3. We can't create the recovery drive.

Hello Arun,

Thanks for your response.

I ran both Scannow and Scanhealth. Neither reported any corruption.

It has been suggested that I make a Windows 10 Installation USB as it contains a recovery facility. This may well be the easiest way around the problem.

GordonTate, Aug 4, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, You may prefer to simply download an iso and create a bootable medium from that.

And in place of system imaging using Windows 7 Backup and Restore, 3rd party disk imaging is recommended e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage. It's been found more reliable and much more flexible than Windows 7 Backup and Restore.

dalchina, Aug 5, 2016
  5. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Is there a point in backing up corrupted files ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Aug 5, 2016
  6. Swifty Win User
    Thank you for reminding me about the free Macrium Reflect. I had it when I was running Windows 7 but somewhere along the way to Windows10 it got uninstalled.

This was perhaps during my first foray into Win10, about a year ago. After a couple of weeks it became unbootable, and I was so agitated that I forgot all about Reflect, and took my PC back to the supplier who reinstalled my Win7.

I still had the Macrium Reflect installation media (I save the installation files of every program I ever install, as far as possible) but I'm downloading the latest version right now.

Swifty, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. We can't create the recovery drive - Similar Threads - can't create recovery

2. We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.: When I created my recovery drive the only drive available with the necessary space available was a removable hard drive. I ordered a new flash drive that was big enough and today I tried to create a new recovery drive. App comes up no problem but after checking my system for...
  3. We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.: When I created my recovery drive the only drive available with the necessary space available was a removable hard drive. I ordered a new flash drive that was big enough and today I tried to create a new recovery drive. App comes up no problem but after checking my system for...
  4. Can't create an recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't create an recovery drive.: I've tried to create an recovery drive for a reason and this screen will always pop up. Is there anyway to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-an-recovery-drive/d01f5a07-31f1-4634-9223-4b868b30e190
  5. Can't create an recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't create an recovery drive.: I've tried to create an recovery drive for a reason and this screen will always pop up. Is there anyway to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-an-recovery-drive/d01f5a07-31f1-4634-9223-4b868b30e190
  6. Can't create recovery drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create recovery drive: I am trying to create a recovery drive. I'm an Office 365 user and don't have any installation media. Any help is much appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-recovery-drive/481b2af7-4acd-4dd9-a33e-b3b97007da0e
  7. "We can't create a recovery drive on this PC" error message

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "We can't create a recovery drive on this PC" error message: Hello, I have tried several different 64GB flash drives formatted to NTFS but cannot create a recovery drive in Windows 10. I get the error message in the title. There is currently 54.7GB in use on C: at this time, so I would like to get a good recovery image to get me back...
  8. Can't create recovery drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't create recovery drive: I'm running Win 10 Version 1211 (build 10586.11) - i.e. the latest build with the latest update. I want to create a new recovery drive but when I get to the window that says "Connect a USB Flash Drive" and the process comes to a dead stop. -I'm using the same 16GB thumb...
  9. Can't create Recovery Drive

Can't create Recovery Drive: Win 10 is running fine, but I wanted to create a Recovery Drive just in case. In the search bar I typed "RecoveryDrive.exe" and pressed enter. UAC popped up and I replied. The first recovery screen popped up. I accepted defaults on screen and selected Next. Next screen...
  10. Can't create a recovery drive.

Can't create a recovery drive.: I've tried sfc / scannow, reinstalling windows, working with windows help desk, and computer manufacturer. Nothing works. I've tried different USB keys always larger than 16 gb. I've searched a lot of Internet sites. Any suggestions? 57833

Users found this page by searching for:

1. we cant create recovery drive on this pc

2. windows10 we cant create the recovery drive

3. why i cant create a recovery usb drive after updating to windows 10 version 1903

4. we cant create thw recovery drive,
  5. windows 10 we cant create the recovery drive,
  6. we couldnt create the recovery drive