Windows 10: "We can't open this file" message in File Explorer

Discus and support "We can't open this file" message in File Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This morning I attempted to view a few jpg's in File Explorer and found it generated this message: "We can't open this file"... I can't open any image... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kensho, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Kensho Win User

"We can't open this file" message in File Explorer

This morning I attempted to view a few jpg's in File Explorer and found it generated this message: "We can't open this file"... I can't open any image any longer... It worked beautifully last night... I want to be able to continue to use File Explorer... I searched the net for a fix and found nothing... Can someone here please help me?

:)

Kensho, Nov 3, 2018
  2. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Nov 3, 2018
  3. AndrewMcLean2 Win User
    File Explorer opens but does not function

I have all the current Windows 10 Home 64-bit updates. File Explorer opens with its main screen but no files are listed in the main file listing window. Instead the message 'working on it' appears t the top of the Window and the spinning blue disc spins
    away. None of the third party File managers are affected. File Explorer has become a waste of disc space. Any ideas?

AndrewMcLean2, Nov 3, 2018
  4. jaydeee Win User

PowerPoint file crashes PowerPoint upon opening

since this happens in some of the computers only, suggest that you open the file on working computer and copy everything and paste to a new powerpoint file.
    most of the time it works to me. *Smile "We can't open this file" message in File Explorer :)

jaydeee, Nov 3, 2018
Thema:

1. "We can't open this file" message in File Explorer - Similar Threads - can't open file

2. can't run install file ' these files can't be opened'

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    can't run install file ' these files can't be opened': getting error message when trying to run an .exe file these files can't be opened... your internet net security settings prevented one or more files being opened .. i turned off off windows defender thinking this to be the culprit ( using ten forum registry script )...
  3. Can't delete file in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete file in file explorer: I have a memory card in my phone that allows me to move large picture files to my laptop. Once in file explorer, it only allows me to copy and paste the files onto my laptop. The "cut" and "delete" options are grayed out. This memory card is quickly filling up b/c I am...
  4. File Explorer slow to open or will not open

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer slow to open or will not open: Quite often (60% of the time) clicking on Windows Explorer results in no action whether from the tool bar or from the Windows screen for a very long period of time. There is nothing showing to determine if there is a background program causing Explorer to wait. When it...
  5. "We can't open this file" on JPG photos Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    "We can't open this file" on JPG photos Windows 10: I'm in a bit of a panic. I can't open 90% of my JPG photos. I have changed my default program to Photos, and downloaded a Reg Fix that seems to have helped others with the same issue. Still no change. When I go into the properties of a photo that cannot be displayed, all the...
  6. Opening multiple files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Opening multiple files in file explorer: Windows 10. I no longer am able to open more than one jpg file in Photoshop Elements 14 (so maybe this is a PE problem as don't have a problem with Word or Excel files?) If I select more than one it will open every one except the first one selected (usually though seems a bit...
  7. File Explorer opens twice

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer opens twice: for the last few days, the explorer closes and reopen itself immediately. this happens both on my Home PC and Work PC. anybody experiencing this too? see screenshot: Explorer opening twice (when locating a file) (from reddit) 25002
  8. File Explorer won't open

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer won't open: Glad you got it worked out. *Thumbs
  9. "Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens

in Windows 10 Support
    "Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens: Hello, I keep getting this error when Windows 10 boots to desktop, when I close it opens file explorer. Any ideas what's this mysterious "-a" file is? 97243
  10. File Explorer error message

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer error message: I just tried to open explorer.exe and got: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action..." The program works fine if I click on a folder--it just won't open on its own. I had this problem (without the error message) in Win 7, but it...