Windows 10: "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later" - Problems while transferring...

Discus and support "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later" - Problems while transferring... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have an old and now slow PC with a Windows 10 pro license. As a replacement I've built a new PC with new hardware and am trying to transfer the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DamjanDerdić, May 6, 2020.

1. "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later" - Problems while transferring...

I have an old and now slow PC with a Windows 10 pro license. As a replacement I've built a new PC with new hardware and am trying to transfer the license to the new PC. I still have access to the old PC, I just won't be using it anymore. The old PC has the Microsoft account linked to it, so the license is linked with the account. I am also using the same Microsoft account on the new PC.

In the troubleshooting process Settings > Update and Security > Activation > Troubleshoot, I select the old PC, press Activate, and then I get the message that Microsoft wasn't able to reactivate windows, and tells me to try laterquote in title. How can I fix this issue?

Edit: Forgot to mention, the old PC DOES have a retail license.

:)

DamjanDerdić, May 6, 2020
  2. Boyfriend Win User

Does Windows 7 require reactivation if...

He is using AMD already. He wants downgrading to AM3. Don't know why??

If you change HDD + RAM simultaneously, Windows 7 needs to be reactivated. Only HDD cloning shouldn't require reactivation. As you are changing mobo + HDD (prehaps RAM upgrade too), you will surely require reactivation. If you have genuine license, you should reinstall OS (you might use Windows Easy Transfer). If you don't want to reinstall, you need to uninstall HDD, interfaces/system devices, and numerous other drivers (USB, HID, Portable devices, etc.), else your OS will be unstable.
    I will highly recommend to reinstall Windows 7 and enjoy your migration.

A simple trick might be like this to avoid reactivation:
    1. Clone your HDD first and boot into Windows
    2. Use it for at least one week
    3. Replace mobo only without any other hardware change/upgrade and boot
    4. Use it for at least one week
    5. Do any other upgrade (RAM, Graphic card etc.)

Don't do two simultaneous downgrades/upgrades to avoid reactivation.

Boyfriend, May 6, 2020
  3. kg4icg Win User
    Does Windows 7 require reactivation if...

Then why does it say fs/ft i7-920 in his tag and he wants to downgrade to am3 system? to go from a am2/2+ to am3 isn't a downgrade last time I checked

kg4icg, May 6, 2020
  4. "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later" - Problems while transferring...

windows 10 reactivation after hardware change

I just changed motherboards, and When I follow the the steps listed in the "reactivate windows 10 after hardware change" support page, it gives me the message "unable to activate windows" message after I sign in and identify my device,
    with no error code, just a subheader that says "can't activate windows 10 on this device, try again later."

Primero Holodon, May 6, 2020
Thema:

"We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later" - Problems while transferring...

1. "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later" - Problems while transferring... - Similar Threads - can't reactivate device

2. Getting "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later." error after Windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later." error after Windows...: I activated Windows 11 using the same hardware that I currently have in my computer. Earlier today I noticed that Windows had deactivated for some reason, stating that I had changed hardware although I have not changed anything. When I go through the troubleshooter to...
  3. Getting "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later." error after Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later." error after Windows...: I activated Windows 11 using the same hardware that I currently have in my computer. Earlier today I noticed that Windows had deactivated for some reason, stating that I had changed hardware although I have not changed anything. When I go through the troubleshooter to...
  4. We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.: I just upgraded my Windows 11 Pro computer's motherboard and graphics card. The hard drives are the same, as well as the chassis and rest of the equipment. When I try to re-activate my retail licence Order 6340678291 I get the subject line error. I've run the troubleshooter,...
  5. We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.: I just upgraded my Windows 11 Pro computer's motherboard and graphics card. The hard drives are the same, as well as the chassis and rest of the equipment. When I try to re-activate my retail licence Order 6340678291 I get the subject line error. I've run the troubleshooter,...
  6. There were some problems installing the updates, but we will try again later. I can't...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    There were some problems installing the updates, but we will try again later. I can't...: I cannot install the Windows update, I cannot fix any problems due to an error 0x8007012Fdone DISM.exe / Online / Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth / Source: C: \ RepairSource \ Windows / LimitAccessIt also ran sfc / scannow, and the result is: Windows Resource Protection found...
  7. Unable to activate Windows We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to activate Windows We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.: [ATTACH] Each time I pick my PC from the List it is showing me this. I have a Digital copy of windows as I updated it from Windows 8.1 and I'm worried now that my license is revoked or something. What should I do? I do not have lose £220, and I'm not happy to ditch Windows...
  8. We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later. (No Error Code)

We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later. (No Error Code): I recently made a big hardware change. Before I do so I linked my microsoft account with my digital license on the old build. Now in my new PC I went to Activation settings and clicked troubleshoot, then clicked "I changed hardware on this device recently." afterwards It...
  9. We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.

We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.: Hi, i can't activate my windows and i don't know why. I got a new pc and installed windows. Logged into my microsoft account. But now it just wont activate and tells me to try later. I tried it multiple times over the past week but it does not work. I don't know if i got...
  10. Windows "Can't reactivate windows on this device" and only tells me to "try again later"

Windows "Can't reactivate windows on this device" and only tells me to "try again later": Obviously as it is late on Christmas I have just finished upgrading my 5-6 year old PC. I knew full well that I would most likely end up with a deactivated copy of Windows so I tied my Microsoft Account to my PC to help in reactivation as Microsoft suggests. Unfortunately...