Windows 10: We could not create a new partiiton or locate an existing one

Discus and support We could not create a new partiiton or locate an existing one in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The error in the title appears when I try to format my C partition to install windows 10 there. This error does not appear when I install windows 7,I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by M4Ahmed, Jan 29, 2016.

1. M4Ahmed Win User

We could not create a new partiiton or locate an existing one

The error in the title appears when I try to format my C partition to install windows 10 there. This error does not appear when I install windows 7,I just formatted and installed 7 successfully however it doesn't work for Windows 10. Specs
    2.9 GHZ xeon quad core
    8 Gb Kingston hyperx
    Nvidia GTX 750

I have two hard drives and 5 partitions in total but it just shows one big partition of 297 Gb. Help please

:)

M4Ahmed, Jan 29, 2016

2. We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

When I create the new partition, I didn't see a system reserve section get created as it did in your pictures.

So I formatted the partition as fat32 because my system is uefi based. However, when I return to install windows 10, I get an error that says "windows cannot be installed on this hard disk. Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS"

However, when I format the partition as NTFS, I get the same error.

ChevroyLindo, Jan 29, 2016
  3. We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

ChevroyLindo, Jan 29, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

possible things to check for

1) MicroSD card / SD card is in system with 4 HDD's or even 4 partitions. -->remove SD card while installing Windows
    2) BIOS mode ------> if boot disk is GPT then you won't be able to create a partition -- change to GPT or change BIOS to UEFI
    3) ensure HDD's / SSD/s are correct for the boot system -- note HDD's > 2TB must be GPT and so on a BIOS (MBR) system won't boot.
    4) More than 4 HDD's in system - Windows gets hosed up on install-- disconnect one while installing.
    5) MBR systems - 4 partitions are the maximum you can have -->change to UEFI mode and convert HDD's to GPT.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 29, 2016
  5. M4Ahmed Win User
    What is GPT?
    change to GPT or change BIOS to UEFI How to do this?
    MBR systems I dont know what these are

I have a Dell Precision T3500 Workstation

M4Ahmed, Jan 29, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I think you need to Google a bit for this -- it's actually very basic but if you haven't read the stuff on Google you won't have any chance whatsoever of fixing it.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. We could not create a new partiiton or locate an existing one - Similar Threads - create partiiton locate

2. "We couldn`t create a new partition or locate an existing one."

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "We couldn`t create a new partition or locate an existing one.": First "MOIN" @all - nice to be part of the community now! I hope you can help me with the following problem: I tried Windows 10 today newinstall not upgrading to my computer on which Windows 7 was running before. Unfortunately, there was no installation prozess goes on...
  3. windows 10 "we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing..

windows 10 "we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing..: I am trying to install windows 10 1909 downloaded from microsoft download page into my m.2 drive. I want to use mbr system so I made sure that my m.2 drive is mbr using AOMEI partition tool but the problem when I run the windows 10 setup I get this error when I select my m.2...
  4. windows 10 "we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing..

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 "we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing..: I am trying to install windows 10 1909 downloaded from microsoft download page into my m.2 drive. I want to use mbr system so I made sure that my m.2 drive is mbr using AOMEI partition tool but the problem when I run the windows 10 setup I get this error when I select my m.2...
  5. Setup couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one!

Setup couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one!: I downloaded Windows 10 May 2019 update from Microsoft on May 24.. Used the Media Creation Tool to create installation media (USB drive). I used DISKPART to clean drive and put it in “uninitialized state”. Regardless of attempts to do clean install on either HD or SSD,...
  6. We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.: So I was doing a clean install of windows 10 using a USB and I deleted all the partitions including the system reserve one. The only drive left now is "Drive 0 Partition 1". It is set as primary. The problem is everything I click to continue the installation, I get the...
  7. "We couldn’t create a new partition or locate an existing one."

"We couldn’t create a new partition or locate an existing one.": boot - Installing Windows 10 after installing Ubuntu - Ask Ubuntu I tried asking the question over at AskUbuntu, but a user said it would be better if I asked here instead. Long story short: Windows 10 was preinstalled in my ASUS ROG GL752VW-DH71. I updated my...
  8. Windows couldn't create a partition or locate an existing one

Windows couldn't create a partition or locate an existing one: I had a kali linux installed in my computer. Then I tried to install Windows 10 using a bootable USB drive. (I created it by downloading the windows 10 ISO and then creating USB drive using Rufus.) But when I was trying to install windows 10, it shows my hard drive, but it...
  9. "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one"

"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one": So I'm trying to install Windows 10 32-bit on a friend's laptop from a USB stick and it's giving me this error, no matter what I do. I've tried setting the partition as active, I don't have anything else plugged in, and I've unplugged and replugged the device. No dice. Help!...
  10. "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one" error

"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one" error: When I try to do a clean install of Win10 Home 64-bit on a Dell Inspiron N5010 (a little over 4 years old) using the Media Creation Tool on a USB, I get to the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen and when I select the Drive 0 Unallocated Space I get "We couldn't...