Windows 10: We could not create a new partiiton or locate an existing one

Discus and support We could not create a new partiiton or locate an existing one in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The error in the title appears when I try to format my C partition to install windows 10 there. This error does not appear when I install windows 7,I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by M4Ahmed, Jan 29, 2016.

1. M4Ahmed Win User

We could not create a new partiiton or locate an existing one

The error in the title appears when I try to format my C partition to install windows 10 there. This error does not appear when I install windows 7,I just formatted and installed 7 successfully however it doesn't work for Windows 10. Specs
    2.9 GHZ xeon quad core
    8 Gb Kingston hyperx
    Nvidia GTX 750

I have two hard drives and 5 partitions in total but it just shows one big partition of 297 Gb. Help please

:)

M4Ahmed, Jan 29, 2016

2. We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

When I create the new partition, I didn't see a system reserve section get created as it did in your pictures.

So I formatted the partition as fat32 because my system is uefi based. However, when I return to install windows 10, I get an error that says "windows cannot be installed on this hard disk. Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS"

However, when I format the partition as NTFS, I get the same error.

ChevroyLindo, Jan 29, 2016
  3. We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

ChevroyLindo, Jan 29, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

possible things to check for

1) MicroSD card / SD card is in system with 4 HDD's or even 4 partitions. -->remove SD card while installing Windows
    2) BIOS mode ------> if boot disk is GPT then you won't be able to create a partition -- change to GPT or change BIOS to UEFI
    3) ensure HDD's / SSD/s are correct for the boot system -- note HDD's > 2TB must be GPT and so on a BIOS (MBR) system won't boot.
    4) More than 4 HDD's in system - Windows gets hosed up on install-- disconnect one while installing.
    5) MBR systems - 4 partitions are the maximum you can have -->change to UEFI mode and convert HDD's to GPT.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 29, 2016
  5. M4Ahmed Win User
    What is GPT?
    change to GPT or change BIOS to UEFI How to do this?
    MBR systems I dont know what these are

I have a Dell Precision T3500 Workstation

M4Ahmed, Jan 29, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I think you need to Google a bit for this -- it's actually very basic but if you haven't read the stuff on Google you won't have any chance whatsoever of fixing it.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. We could not create a new partiiton or locate an existing one - Similar Threads - create partiiton locate

2. We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.: Windows was installed on the SSD prior to a new motherboard installation, however when it came time to boot the system, it stated windows was no where to be found. Shocking. So USB media installation was applied. Started the process and nope, errors all over, cant select any...
  3. We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.: Windows was installed on the SSD prior to a new motherboard installation, however when it came time to boot the system, it stated windows was no where to be found. Shocking. So USB media installation was applied. Started the process and nope, errors all over, cant select any...
  4. We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one." Error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one." Error: I just removed an old HDD from a laptop and put in an empty 120GB SSD wanted a full, clean install. Using the setup media I had handy on a USB, I tried to boot using the USB and install to the SSD, but I always get the error: "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an...
  6. We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.: Dear Microsoft, Recently, I was trying to install Windows on my Laptop PC. I tried to install, but this is the error I got: We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. I tried to fix it so many times, but it didn't work. It is an Acer laptop, model...
  7. we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.: [ATTACH] Hello to everyone. I'm trying to install Windows 10 on the second partition of the drive 1,but as u can see below,I can't because that error. On the disk 1 partition 1 there is another installation of Windows 10. The whole disk is formatted with the NTFS fs and...
  8. We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.: So I was doing a clean install of windows 10 using a USB and I deleted all the partitions including the system reserve one. The only drive left now is "Drive 0 Partition 1". It is set as primary. The problem is everything I click to continue the installation, I get the...
  9. "We couldn’t create a new partition or locate an existing one."

"We couldn’t create a new partition or locate an existing one.": boot - Installing Windows 10 after installing Ubuntu - Ask Ubuntu I tried asking the question over at AskUbuntu, but a user said it would be better if I asked here instead. Long story short: Windows 10 was preinstalled in my ASUS ROG GL752VW-DH71. I updated my...
  10. "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one"

"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one": So I'm trying to install Windows 10 32-bit on a friend's laptop from a USB stick and it's giving me this error, no matter what I do. I've tried setting the partition as active, I don't have anything else plugged in, and I've unplugged and replugged the device. No dice. Help!...