Windows 10: "We couldn't set your default save location."

Discus and support "We couldn't set your default save location." in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have recently just installed Windows 10 Pro and the first thing I did was to install all the updates. Then, when I tried to install something... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Aaric_816, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Aaric_816 Win User

"We couldn't set your default save location."

Hello, I have recently just installed Windows 10 Pro and the first thing I did was to install all the updates. Then, when I tried to install something on Microsoft store, it doesn't let me install it on my other drive D:. I realized it might help to solve it just by changing my saving locations to my D drive but Windows wouldn't let me. Here's a screenshot of the problem.

"We couldn't set your default save location." e4898403-58e2-4f2a-ace8-8b42a806c9b7?upload=true.png

As you can see, I am able to change the locations for the other options but the "New Apps" one. Please reply ASAP, thank you.

:)

Aaric_816, Apr 5, 2020

2. Default location to save documenets

Hi Frank,

Sorry for the delayed response.

From your recent description, it seems like the issue is confined to Word documents. If true, then follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Launch Word application.
    • Go to File Menu and select Options.
    • In the pop-up dialog box, towards the left pane, select Save.
    • Under Default location file, browse the location you want to save.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Apr 5, 2020
  3. "We couldn`t create a new partition or locate an existing one."

Try this:

Before you get to that message, press SHIFT + F10 to open a command prompt.

Run diskpart.
    At the diskpart prompt, run these commands:

list disk

At this point you should see the SSD as disk 0. If it has another disk number, use that number rather than "0" in the next command.

select disk 0
    clean
    exit (to exit from diskpart)
    exit (to exit from the command prompt)

"We couldn't set your default save location." [​IMG]

That should clear the contents of the disk. The entire disk space should then show up in Windows setup as "Unallocated Space" as in the screenshot below.

"We couldn't set your default save location." [​IMG]

hsehestedt, Apr 5, 2020
  4. Geethu B Win User

Making HDD as default saving location instead of sdd for files

Hi Kiefer,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

I suggest you to try the following steps to change default saving locations. Check if it helps.

• Click on Start and click on
      Settings.

• Open System and click on
      Storage in the left-pane.

• Under the section Save Locations in the
      right-pane, select the appropriate location to which you want to save files.

• Restart the computer and check if it helps.
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Apr 5, 2020
Thema:

1. "We couldn't set your default save location." - Similar Threads - couldn't set default

2. We couldn't set your default save location 0x80070005

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    We couldn't set your default save location 0x80070005: Hello, I would like to set the default save location for Store apps to another drive D:. When I go into Storage in Settings, I get the "Couldn't Set Default Save Location 0x80070005" error. I would like to install Forza Horizon 4 on a different hard drive because it's 91GB...
  3. "We couldn't set your default save location..."

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "We couldn't set your default save location...": I was having problems with my computer and reinstalled windows. I then noticed I could no longer use the drive that had my Gamepass games on. "This drive has apps from another device. To use this drive, the other apps must first be deleted." Alright, guess I have to...
  4. We couldn't set your default save location.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    We couldn't set your default save location.: So I wanted to download Forza Horizon 4 Deluxe edition on a windows 10. But the game is more than 70 GB and I don't have space on my Drive C. When I tried to change the download location to Drive D I got this error:[ATTACH] What should I do? A little help would be really...
  5. We couldn't set your default save location 0x80070005

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    We couldn't set your default save location 0x80070005: I am trying to download the new flight sim on my D drive but it keeps popping up as "We couldn't set your default save location." With the error code 0x80070005. I have tried looking around online on how to fix it and I believe I have tried everything Changing permissions,...
  6. We couldn't set your default save location.

We couldn't set your default save location.: [ATTACH] I'm able to set a new install location up for every other drive on my computer, except for this one, (E:). I've already used the security tab to give myself full control of both this drive, the WindowsApps folder and the packages folder. Why does the Xbox app...
  7. we couldn't set your default save location 0x800040004

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    we couldn't set your default save location 0x800040004: so i am trying to switch my app saving location xbox game pass asked me to do it if i want to download games . even that i have the games on the hard drive i am trying to switch too. its anexternal hard drive and when i try to do that it tell me this "we couldn't set your...
  8. Error: We couldn't set your default save location.

Error: We couldn't set your default save location.: "The operation did not complete successfully. Try again in a bit. Error code is 0x80070005 in case you need it." So, installed xbox gamepass on my PC, and I have 2 drives. C is my SSD, where I have Windows 10 installed, and D is my storage drive, where I keep basically...
  9. We couldn't set your default save location

in Windows 10 Support
    We couldn't set your default save location: I have a ssd (C)drive with my os & a hdd (D)drive for storage. In settings-system-storage-change where new content is saved I was able to change everything I wanted to my (D)drive with the exception of new photos & videos I keep getting an error code 0x80070005 saying this...
  10. We couldn't set your default save location

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    We couldn't set your default save location: I have a ssd (C)drive with my os & a hdd (D)drive for storage. In settings-system-storage-change where new content is saved I was able to change everything I wanted to my (D)drive with the exception of new photos & videos I keep getting an error code 0x80070005 saying this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change save location we couldnt set your default location

2. we could set your default save location 7d30e

3. 0x80070005 when trying to change the default save location

4. couldnt set default save location windows 10