Windows 10: Weather App Shows Incorrect Location

Discus and support Weather App Shows Incorrect Location in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Split from this thread. I am showing information for weather in Washington when I am in Denton, TX. I have tried to press Reset and that didn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DeeHolsomback1, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Weather App Shows Incorrect Location

Split from this thread.​

I am showing information for weather in Washington when I am in Denton, TX. I have tried to press Reset and that didn't work. Is there somewhere I can change the info myself.

:)

DeeHolsomback1, Jul 10, 2019

2. Location incorrect in weather app and find my device

Windows 10 has several settings that control access to a device's location. They can be found under:

Settings -> Privacy -> Location

The first two settings are called Location and Location service. If either one is turned off, then Windows will NOT REVEAL your location to apps that ask.
    Location is a system-wide setting, and if turned on, then
    Location service
    controls location access for the current user only.

• Make sure that Location and Location service are both turned on.

The next setting lets you specify a Default location to be used whenever Windows cannot determine your location with any degree of accuracy or confidence. I'll come back to this setting in a moment.

This is followed by a way to Clear your location history stored on this device, as well as
    some links to manage or review information concerning your location online.

After that, you should see a list of Apps. This is where you can allow or deny location access on a per-app basis.

• Make sure this setting is turned on for the "Weather App" and "Find My Device".

Please note that despite having identical names, this more general Windows 10
    Default location
    setting does NOT work in the same way as the Default location setting in the Weather App. The Weather App will
    always use its default location if one is specified. Windows 10 only uses its more general default location setting if all else fails. I have devised an experiment, which exploits that difference. I think it should be able to identify the
    underlying location problem on your system.

1. Start the Weather App and select the Settings tab. Make sure that
      Launch Location is set to "Always detect my location".
      Exit the Weather App.
    2. Go to the general Windows 10 Settings -> Privacy -> Location and temporarily set your
      Default Location to somewhere that's way off - wrong by thousands of miles (let's say Timbuktu in Mali).
    3. Note which of the following networks are up and accessible form your Surface Pro 2017:

(a) Ethernet, (b) Wi-Fi, (c) Bluetooth, (d) cell phone connectivity (via optional LTE-Advanced modem).
    4. Start the Weather App again and select the Favorites tab. Make a note of the first listed favorite (the Launch Location), and exit the Weather App.
    5. If it is Timbuktu (Windows hasn't got a clue where you are), then go to Step 9.
    6. If it is Cape Coral (Windows THINKS it knows where you are, but it's WRONG), then go to Step 8.
    7. If it is Knoxville (Windows got it right), then the
      Location Service works correctly when Windows has access to the infrastructure of the networks you noted as available in Step 3. Go to Step 8.
    8. To reproduce the problem and perhaps isolate the cause, disable all the networks listed in Step 3. Then re-enable each of the networks ONE AT A TIME, repeating the steps from Step 3 each time. If you ever get to Step 6, then the one-and-only enabled network
      that time is the SOURCE OF YOUR PROBLEM. If you ever get to Step 7, then ADD the one-and-only enabled network that time to YOUR LIST of reliable location sources.

SOLUTION A:

(a) Ensre that a network on YOUR LIST of reliable location sources is up and available.

(b) Whenever you require an accurate location, ensure that the network observed to be the SOURCE OF YOUR PROBLEM is neither up nor available.
    9. Using the infrastructure of the networks you noted as available in Step 3, Windows was not able to determine your location with any degree of accuracy or confidence. Enable as many of the networks listed in Step 3 as you can. Restart the experiment at Step
      3. If you still end up here, then you MUST EITHER modify the general Windows 10
      Default location
      setting every time you need an accurate location OR ...

SOLUTION B:

Move back to Cape Coral, Florida.

Phew!

Christopher Jeffrey Benson, Jul 10, 2019
  3. RicNeal Win User
    Cortana shows incorrect location.

My Location is incorrect, the computer is using the location of my internet provider, not my actual location.

I managed to manually set location for Weather app, but when I ask Cortana to show me weather, she shows me for the wrong location

So how can I fix that?

RicNeal, Jul 10, 2019
  4. AnnM@ Win User

Weather App Shows Incorrect Location

Bing Weather app for WP8 shows incorrect temperature

I am curious, how did you know which provider you have?

My bing weather app is showing both incorrect temperature and incorrect weather in general. When it has been sunny and cloud free for several days, the weather app persistently claims it's overcast (!).

AnnM@, Jul 10, 2019
Thema:

Weather App Shows Incorrect Location

1. Weather App Shows Incorrect Location - Similar Threads - Weather App Shows

2. Weather showing wrong location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weather showing wrong location: Hello, I have the latest version of the Microsoft weather app on windows 10 and the location is showing the wrong location when set to detect my location. location is enabled in-app settings, privacy settings, and the icon that shows location is being used on the taskbar is...
  3. Weather App Tile in Start Menu Shows Incorrect Location

Weather App Tile in Start Menu Shows Incorrect Location: Hello. The weather app tile in the Start menu has always shown the incorrect location. It shows my location to be an enclave six miles from where I actually am. I've tried several "solutions" that I've found online but they never correct the issue. It's been six weeks since I...
  4. Weather app live tile STILL shows wrong location

Weather app live tile STILL shows wrong location: After trying the various "solutions" offered for this problem, that unfortunately don't work, where do we go from here? It appears that the thread has died a death.It seems that this is indeed a Microsoft problem.Is Microsoft aware of it?If not, how do we make Microsoft aware...
  5. cortana Showing weather of wrong location.

in Cortana
    cortana Showing weather of wrong location.: Hello everyone, My Cortana app is showing weather of the wrong location. Can anyone help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-showing-weather-of-wrong-location/c3d3b60e-dff2-416b-b068-c6d4e987d680
  6. Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps: I moved from Pennsylvania to New York 2 months ago. Geolocation is incorrect in Weather app, Maps app, Firefox desktop on Windows 10, it gives off my OLD address. Random sites that ask for location that is. Clean Windows 10 Install Clean Firefox Install Not behind VPN...
  7. Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps: I moved from Pennsylvania to New York 2 months ago. Geolocation is incorrect in Weather app, Maps app, Firefox desktop on Windows 10, it gives off my OLD address. Random sites that ask for location that is. Clean Windows 10 Install Clean Firefox Install Not behind VPN...
  8. Weather app correct location configured into the app

Weather app correct location configured into the app: Win 10 ver 1809 build 17763.253 RE : Weather app issue Each time I open Start Menu, the Weather will show Ottawa as the location. BUT I am NOT in Ottawa. If I click at the weather tile, it will show the correct location I am residing. I know I have the correct location...
  9. Weather location

Weather location: Every day when I open my browser the weather is for NY. how do I keep my weather location on Lumberton, MS.? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weather-location/e5bcd2a7-1685-4b50-9242-b1a9c8da4045
  10. Multiple locations in Weather App?

Multiple locations in Weather App?: Is it possible to have and view multiple locations in the weather app? 14757

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows weather app shows wrong location

2. weather app location wrong

3. cortana shows incorrect location