Windows 10: Weather tile uses wrong location name as caption

Discus and support Weather tile uses wrong location name as caption in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; The weather tile in the start menu does not use the location name from the weather app, but from the JSON response of the MSN Weather API. The location... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Codebird, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Codebird Win User

Weather tile uses wrong location name as caption

The weather tile in the start menu does not use the location name from the weather app, but from the JSON response of the MSN Weather API. The location names can differ from one another.

Example request w/o apikey:

https://api.msn.com/weather/overview?lat=51.59&lon=7.66

JSON Response shortened:

"weather": {

"source": {

"coordinates": {

"lat": 51.61633,

"lon": 7.64451

},

"location": {

"Name": "Different live tile name",

},

"countryCode": "DE"

}

}

Conclusion:

As you can see, the coordinates of the response differ from those in the request. The different name of the neighbouring town is used for the weather live tile.

Questions:

• Would it be possible to update the API and correct the location name in the live tile?
    • Is there any other solution to use the location name from the weather app for the location caption of the live tile?

:)

Codebird, Jan 18, 2021

2. Weather app tiles do not update

I put multiple tiles of weather app on my Start menu - one for my hometown, others for my favourite places around the world - places I'd like to watch and follow.

It used to work before, but some time ago it has stopped working. Only the tile for my current location works (I gave a permission to apps to access my location - it does not work without it).

Other tiles are selected "pinned" items from my favourite locations list. These tiles show only generic icon and app caption "Weather", but no live weather like they did before. However, the at least they can act as a shortcut to a weather forecast for their
    location (unfortunately, this location is not displayed on the "static" tile, so putting more tiles in start menu has no sense... all of them are identical and who shall remember which tile is for which location...).

Any idea how to force the pinned tiles to update and make them "dynamic" instead of static icons?

Tomáš K. CZ, Jan 18, 2021
  3. Weather Settings are showing wrong forecast

When you click the icon the MSN weather page opened, Let us try to change the location of your MSN weather app.

Set the weather for my current location.

• Open MSN weather page.
    • Right-click with your mouse.
    • Click the button marked Current Location.

To add a favorite location.

• Open MSN weather page.
    • Right-click with your mouse.
    • Click the tile at the top of the screen marked Places.
    • Click the + button.
    • Enter the name of the location.
    • Click your chosen location in the list and click Add.

Let us know the outcome.

Antoneth Ber, Jan 18, 2021
  4. Weather tile uses wrong location name as caption

Weather app tiles do not update

Update:

e) even switching UI and environment from Czech to English (US) does not help.

Funny thing is... secondary tiles keep the name in Czech (Počasí), while primary tile is updated to new language setting (Weather).

Seems to me, secondary tiles are something very "static", like classical shortcut now.

P.S. That's how I create secondary tiles:

1. Start the Weather app

2. Go to "Favourites" tab on the side bar

3. Click + to add favourite location (by typing its name in the search box)

4. Clicking favourite location in the list to display weather details for the location

5. Clicking "pin" icon in upper toolbar to pin the location to Start and confirm that pinning

Tomáš K. CZ, Jan 18, 2021
Thema:

Weather tile uses wrong location name as caption

1. Weather tile uses wrong location name as caption - Similar Threads - Weather tile uses

2. Wrong location for BING weather

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong location for BING weather: I know I've complained about this before, but it's chronic now. No matter how many times I reiterate my city I get weather from miles off! I can't get the temperature to come up as Fahrenheit without manually changing it, either. Same on Win 10 pc. Help, please....
  3. Wrong location for BING weather

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong location for BING weather: I know I've complained about this before, but it's chronic now. No matter how many times I reiterate my city I get weather from miles off! I can't get the temperature to come up as Fahrenheit without manually changing it, either. Same on Win 10 pc. Help, please....
  4. Cortana wrong weather location and bing weather

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana wrong weather location and bing weather: I need help I had to reset my laptop thinking cortona would fox itself but it didn’t it still has the wrong location don’t know why please help...
  5. Cortana wrong weather location and bing weather

Cortana wrong weather location and bing weather: I need help I had to reset my laptop thinking cortona would fox itself but it didn’t it still has the wrong location don’t know why please help...
  6. Wrong weather and traffic location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wrong weather and traffic location: I recently installed win updates on my PC. Before I noticed this, my weather showed an accurate location despite having location settings off. Now after the update, my weather and traffic location show Riga, Latvia. I tried changing the settings, going from "Always detect my...
  7. Weather showing wrong location

Weather showing wrong location: Hello, I have the latest version of the Microsoft weather app on windows 10 and the location is showing the wrong location when set to detect my location. location is enabled in-app settings, privacy settings, and the icon that shows location is being used on the taskbar is...
  8. Weather app live tile STILL shows wrong location

Weather app live tile STILL shows wrong location: After trying the various "solutions" offered for this problem, that unfortunately don't work, where do we go from here? It appears that the thread has died a death.It seems that this is indeed a Microsoft problem.Is Microsoft aware of it?If not, how do we make Microsoft aware...
  9. cortana Showing weather of wrong location.

in Cortana
    cortana Showing weather of wrong location.: Hello everyone, My Cortana app is showing weather of the wrong location. Can anyone help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-showing-weather-of-wrong-location/c3d3b60e-dff2-416b-b068-c6d4e987d680
  10. Windows 10 Weather Start Menu Tile - Wrong Location

Windows 10 Weather Start Menu Tile - Wrong Location: Hello, While I have updated the default city inside the weather app itself, the tile that appears on the start menu and the information that appears on the lock screen still have the location set as Washington, D.C. I have tried changing the location back and forth in the...