Windows 10: Web analytics firms kick off New Year with more suspicious

Discus and support Web analytics firms kick off New Year with more suspicious in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Oops, they did it again. Yesterday, as is its custom on the first day of the month, the analytics firm Net Applications (aka Net Market Share)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Jan 2, 2015.

1. labeeman Win User

Web analytics firms kick off New Year with more suspicious

More

labeeman, Jan 2, 2015
  2. groze Win User

Does that article take into fact people who can change the user agent manually or use an user agent switcher that could cause an old browsers to show up in statistics.

:)

groze, Jan 2, 2015
  3. What is Nokia Analytics Collector?

Hello there,

I'm a Nokia engineer, and I'm part of the team which has implemented the Nokia Analytics Collector. I'm not an official Nokia spokesperson, so what I write are not official Nokia statements. That being said, I have a good understanding of the software, what
    it does, and what it doesn't do. I would like to volunteer my time to answer in detail a few of the questions that have been asked.

Question: How does the Nokia Analytics Collector work?

Answer:

The Nokia Analytics Collector is a "library" which can be utilised by an application. It is not an application, and doesn't do or send anything only by itself. Each application using the Nokia Analytics Collector has to define what application data it logs,
    these are typically tags indicating "application's feature X was used", or hopefully less commonly, "application error Y occurred".

This application data is then enriched by the Nokia Analytics Collector with some standard data items. The standard data items would be, for example, the timestamp and phone model information, but not personal data such as the user's email address or phone
    number. I want to specifically mention that no user-generated content is in these data items.

The data is sent via a https network connection, if a data connection is available (data network is connected). A data connection is not opened if it's not already available. Also, by default no data is sent if the data connection is over a roaming network,
    however an application may override this. The frequency of sending is that typically one network request (data sending) is made by the Nokia Analytics Collector when an application is started and running, if a data connection is available.

Question: How much data does the Nokia Analytics Collector send?

Answer:

The data amount sent depends on each application using the Nokia Analytics Collector. Typically the amount of data traffic is small, a few kilobytes per one connection. Of this few kilobytes in the typical case, most of the data bytes are due to the https protocol,
    while the actual data sent by Nokia Analytics Collector can then be less than 1 kilobyte in size.

Question: How do I turn the Nokia Analytics Collector off?

Answer:

Every application using the Nokia Analytics Collector has a setting inside the application for analytics or feedback collection which controls the Nokia Analytics Collector usage. The terms and conditions of the application will mention when the analytics collection
    is used, and give instructions on how to turn it off. When the setting is off, it will disable data collection and data sending by the Nokia Analytics Collector for that application. There will be one more data connection made, which contains the information
    that the user has chosen not to participate (opt-out), but it does not contain any data from the application.

To make this more user friendly, in the next release there will be a centralized setting in the phone's application settings for improvement program participation. This can be used to turn off the Nokia Analytics Collector for all applications. This next release
    is already available with some applications in Betalabs.

Question: Can I uninstall it? What happens if I uninstall it?

Answer:

Since applications which use Nokia Analytics Collector expect it to be present, they may crash or not start if the Nokia Analytics Collector is uninstalled. This depends on the application's implementation technology, specifically Qt QML applications are not
    affected in this way. It's recommended to not uninstall the Nokia Analytics Collector because of this possibility of applications crashing or not starting. It would not be readily apparent to the user that this problem with the application is not a bug in
    the application or the phone malfunctioning.

The recommended way to disable Nokia Analytics Collector is to turn it off from the application's settings.

Best regards,

Mikko

Engineer45, Jan 2, 2015
  4. tekso Win User

Nokia will release Firmware wid Stereo Bluetooth Support

Hello Shayesta

I'm Supporting you in your theory.. I mean, how weird this for nokia, to release a new Firm for N73, not more than 3 weeks after the previous firm, and integrate Stero Bluetooth support in the Firm, then launch 3 new Stereo Bluetooth Headsets?!!

I really hope this theory is real and they release a new non buggy N80 firm.

tekso, Jan 2, 2015
  5. Rickkins Win User
    Not surprised to see "Firefox" tanking so badly. Just another example of unbridled arrogance with a team not listening at all to it's users. The result was all too predictable.

Rickkins, Jan 2, 2015
  6. groze Win User
    I thought the reason Firefox is losing ground because the browser doesn't or didn't work well on small mobile devices. They are still working on that though. They are trying to regain ground. I really hate those mobile devices too small to read and use. That why I never bought a smart phone even prepaid.

I need things big for me to read or use.

What gets me is why more people are using Google Chrome with the privacy issues aside from Internet explorer. People didn't use to keep cookies on their hard drive, but people do now thanks to banks. I found a way around that by creating different firefox profiles. I have 3 which includes the default. Those other 2 profiles are using for banking and web based email. The default is use for forums and other things, which I can delete the cookies and other stuff without issues.

groze, Jan 2, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    Why would it? The number of people that actually DO that is so miniscule as to be noise...

Mystere, Jan 2, 2015
  8. LEE
    Lee Win User

Why would it? The number of people that actually DO that is so miniscule as to be noise... Had the same though. . .*Wink

9. Mozilla are wasting their time adding pointless fluff features and making horrible GUI changes.
    They need to fix the broken features/functions like the Bookmarks Manager and the Spell Checker.
    Those two items have been broken for 3 or 4 years now (at least).

I swapped to Pale Moon ~18 months ago.
    The Bookmarks Manager and the Spell Checker are broken in it too, but at least the GUI isn't.

The graph is supposed to be showing the Desktop Browser Usage statistics.

Multiple profiles have pluses and minuses.

The add-ons have been set up in a stupid fashion.
    Every add-on has to be updated individually in every profile.

I have multiple profiles (7 in Windows and 5 in Linux).
    FF used to struggle because (apparently) I had too many bookmarks for a single profile.

As an aside, what happened to statistic collecting agencies in 2014?
    There have been complaints about the unemployment stats here in Australia.
    I think there was also a similar issue in the US.

lehnerus2000, Jan 3, 2015
  10. groze Win User
    The graph is supposed to be showing the Desktop Browser Usage statistics. How come I.E./Google chrome are showing an increase in usage if there is really a decline in desktop usage? I wonder if they are also including laptops or anything that acts like a PC in the statistics. A lot of articles claim the desktop PC is going out.

Here is a snip from wikipedia. Desktop computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

groze, Jan 3, 2015
  11. dmex Win User
    You sure you're not talking about Windows phones and the WinRT development team? *Tongue

12. How come I.E./Google chrome are showing an increase in usage if there is really a decline in desktop usage? I wonder if they are also including laptops or anything that acts like a PC in the statistics. A lot of articles claim the desktop PC is going out. I'm not sure if laptops are included in the Desktop category.
    IE and Chrome could show an increased share of the category, even if total desktop PC numbers drop.

They have separate charts for Mobile OS Browser Usage.

lehnerus2000, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Web analytics firms kick off New Year with more suspicious - Similar Threads - Web analytics firms

2. Cloudflare Web Analytics releases three new enhancing privacy features

in Windows 10 News
    Cloudflare Web Analytics releases three new enhancing privacy features: [ATTACH] Last December we opened up our brand new privacy-first Web Analytics platform to everyone. Today, we’re excited to announce the release of three of the most requested features: adding multiple websites to an account, supporting Single-page Applications...
  3. Kick off of net service

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Kick off of net service: I keep getting booted off my service lane every time a certain person in this household gets on there laptop too play a Xbox related game or even when said person is using the Xbox console, what can I do to correct this problem?...
  4. kicked off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    kicked off: I get kicked Minecraft every few minutes. Sometimes it says it's disconnected from server, but most of the time it just shuts down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kicked-off/21bc9ef3-791d-4f5a-adb7-1d8280938fe9
  5. Windows 10 $200 firm??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 $200 firm??: Happy new year everyone. Was just curious if anyone got a good Christmas or new year deal off of this product. It seems to be the only thing not on sale. I love payment options as well. I didn't realize software was still that much....2020 was back to the future...
  6. gamescom 2019 Kicks off with an All New Inside Xbox

in Windows 10 News
    gamescom 2019 Kicks off with an All New Inside Xbox: ZJZm3NjuYFE Live from the world’s largest gaming convention in Cologne, Germany, Inside Xbox returns on Monday, August 19, at 5 p.m. CEST / 11 a.m. ET / 8 a.m. PT. With the release of Gears 5 less than a month away, Inside Xbox will unveil the game’s Horde Mode! We’ll also...
  7. Bing introducing Clarity, a web analytics product for webmasters

in Windows 10 News
    Bing introducing Clarity, a web analytics product for webmasters: Today, we are announcing the beta release of Clarity, a web analytics product which enables website developers to understand user behavior at scale. iPlE3PMXG1A Web developers face many challenges in building compelling and user-friendly websites. Understanding why users...
  8. Suspicious web site claiming to be Microsoft.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Suspicious web site claiming to be Microsoft.: Today I received a popup web site claiming to be from Microsoft and asking for personal information. The address is http://3.16.166.238/. What is the procedure for reporting this to Microsoft? Thank you....
  9. kicked off wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    kicked off wifi: I'm repeatedly kick off wifi using my ASUS windows 10 laptop, and the wifi connection is working fine in my home. What can be causing that to happen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/kicked-off-wifi/6ce6899c-a009-4ad1-9c45-3755d61e5ff4
  10. New demo: Windows Analytics Update Compliance

in Windows 10 News
    New demo: Windows Analytics Update Compliance: Find out how to use Update Compliance to monitor Windows Updates, Windows Defender Antivirus and troubleshoot update failures in your environment. This new demo from Microsoft Mechanics walks you through common usage scenarios for Windows Analytics Update Compliance, a...