Windows 10: Web searches, Start menu and Cortana

Discus and support Web searches, Start menu and Cortana in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi In Windows 10 v1511, how am I supposed to disable the Web searches from the Start menu, but I would also like Cortana continued to use the Web... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by balubeto, Mar 17, 2016.

1. balubeto Win User

Web searches, Start menu and Cortana

Hi

In Windows 10 v1511, how am I supposed to disable the Web searches from the Start menu, but I would also like Cortana continued to use the Web for research?

Thanks

Bye

:)

balubeto, Mar 17, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Can you replace the Start Menu on Windows 10 with a different program?

The Cortana process powers all search on the computer. You never have to look at Cortana - I have her turned off as much as Microsoft allows - but unless you're ready to write your own search functionality you'll be working with Cortana.

The subject of your question asked if it's possible to replace the Start menu. Yes, of course, just search the web for a Windows 10 Start menu replacement.

BulldogXX, Mar 17, 2016
  3. Want the Search Bar in Windows 10 not Contana

There's no reason to install a 3rd party Start menu. We got the normal Windows 7 style Start menu returned in Windows 10 and it works fine. You can add locations to it at Settings>Personalization>Start menu.

To keep Cortana out of the Search box, first right click taskbar, choose Cortana, then Show Search box.

Next type Cortana in Start search, turn off Cortana choices.

This should disable Cortana but leave the Search box to use for searching your PC and the web via Bing (only). If you want to add locations for Search or edit the default choices, type Indexing in Search. Open Indexing options and Modify. I like to have
    it search all of C except the hidden folders it exempts.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 17, 2016
  4. Web searches, Start menu and Cortana

I have those tweaks to disable web search, I guess, that connectedsearch is related to Cortana, not sure though.
    But I do not think, it is possible, since basically Cortana is Windows Search, but give it try, maybe it will work.

rem 0 - Disable Bing Search
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "BingSearchEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

rem 1 - Disable web search in search bar
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "DisableWebSearch" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

rem 0 - Disable search web when searching pc
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "ConnectedSearchUseWeb" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

TairikuOkami, Mar 17, 2016
Thema:

Web searches, Start menu and Cortana

1. Web searches, Start menu and Cortana - Similar Threads - Web searches Start

2. windows start menu search web results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows start menu search web results: the start menu used to show web results which was very convinent for me but now it just shows this there is no web preview https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-menu-search-web-results/1222459b-be64-4bcd-9d2b-efcb3ff7638b
  3. windows start menu search web results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows start menu search web results: the start menu used to show web results which was very convinent for me but now it just shows this there is no web preview https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-menu-search-web-results/1222459b-be64-4bcd-9d2b-efcb3ff7638b
  4. Disable Start Menu Web Search?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable Start Menu Web Search?: What's the current way to disable the web search? Preferably without editing the registry submitted by /u/HeyLittleMonkey [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k8ptap/disable_start_menu_web_search/
  5. Cortana web search

Cortana web search: Is there any way I can change Cortana settings so when I search for something it brings up a new tab in Google Chrome, not Microsoft Edge with bing. My default search engine is Google Chrome but it still opens up a new tab in Microsoft Edge. submitted by /u/DATBOI___...
  6. Cortana not searching the web

in Cortana
    Cortana not searching the web: Cortana searches files instead of searching the web. E.x searching up 12431x3 it will show files named '12431x3' if it doesn't find files it will show "no result" . It used to search the web and bring up a calculator instead of searching files....
  7. disable web search start menu 1909

disable web search start menu 1909: Does anyone know how to disable the start menu sending everything you type in there to microsoft? I tried the tricks from previous builds ( reg entries forAllowSearchToUseLocation,BingSearchEnabled and CortanaConsent ) but in 1909 it continues to send whatever I search for...
  8. Start, Cortana,Edge & Search Menu

in Cortana
    Start, Cortana,Edge & Search Menu: Hi, can anyone help me out with this? Start, Cortana, Edge & Search Menu are no longer working correctly after downloading Windows 10 Pro 1903 OS Build 18362.329 32 bitX64 for 86 based systems(KB 4512941) Aug 30 update. I've still got the start button & search bar but it...
  9. Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search

in Cortana
    Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search: Hi; on some Windows 10 installations (and indeed, even on my other user account), I get web search results when I press the Start key on my keyboard and then type into the search box. For example, "32 F in C" will yield 0° C. This isn't happening on one of my accounts. As...
  10. Disable web searches in Start menu

in Cortana
    Disable web searches in Start menu: I need to be able to disable web searches in the Start menu. We have several Windows 10 laptops that we use to administer exams, and obviously we cannot have students able to search the internet during their exams. Having no way to disable this feature makes these laptops...