Windows 10: Web searches, Start menu and Cortana

Discus and support Web searches, Start menu and Cortana in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi In Windows 10 v1511, how am I supposed to disable the Web searches from the Start menu, but I would also like Cortana continued to use the Web... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by balubeto, Mar 17, 2016.

1. balubeto Win User

Web searches, Start menu and Cortana

Hi

In Windows 10 v1511, how am I supposed to disable the Web searches from the Start menu, but I would also like Cortana continued to use the Web for research?

Thanks

Bye

:)

balubeto, Mar 17, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Can you replace the Start Menu on Windows 10 with a different program?

The Cortana process powers all search on the computer. You never have to look at Cortana - I have her turned off as much as Microsoft allows - but unless you're ready to write your own search functionality you'll be working with Cortana.

The subject of your question asked if it's possible to replace the Start menu. Yes, of course, just search the web for a Windows 10 Start menu replacement.

BulldogXX, Mar 17, 2016
  3. Want the Search Bar in Windows 10 not Contana

There's no reason to install a 3rd party Start menu. We got the normal Windows 7 style Start menu returned in Windows 10 and it works fine. You can add locations to it at Settings>Personalization>Start menu.

To keep Cortana out of the Search box, first right click taskbar, choose Cortana, then Show Search box.

Next type Cortana in Start search, turn off Cortana choices.

This should disable Cortana but leave the Search box to use for searching your PC and the web via Bing (only). If you want to add locations for Search or edit the default choices, type Indexing in Search. Open Indexing options and Modify. I like to have
    it search all of C except the hidden folders it exempts.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 17, 2016
  4. Web searches, Start menu and Cortana

I have those tweaks to disable web search, I guess, that connectedsearch is related to Cortana, not sure though.
    But I do not think, it is possible, since basically Cortana is Windows Search, but give it try, maybe it will work.

rem 0 - Disable Bing Search
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "BingSearchEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

rem 1 - Disable web search in search bar
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "DisableWebSearch" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

rem 0 - Disable search web when searching pc
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "ConnectedSearchUseWeb" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

TairikuOkami, Mar 17, 2016
Thema:

Web searches, Start menu and Cortana

1. Web searches, Start menu and Cortana - Similar Threads - Web searches Start

2. cortana search box and start menu optimization

in Cortana
    cortana search box and start menu optimization: Hi, Just suggesting the option to pin (or add) the cortana search box to the tile side of the start menu. ie. click start, input goes to cortana search box within start menu, enter search, all or half of tile side turn into regular cortana search menu with results. tbh I'm...
  3. Disable web searches in Start menu

in Cortana
    Disable web searches in Start menu: I need to be able to disable web searches in the Start menu. We have several Windows 10 laptops that we use to administer exams, and obviously we cannot have students able to search the internet during their exams. Having no way to disable this feature makes these laptops...
  4. How to disable cortanas web search?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable cortanas web search?: I just reinstalled and theres no option in her settings to turn off the web search she does when you search for files on your pc and such. How else could I turn it off if its not listed in her settings? 24449
  5. Start Menu Search & Cortana Width Too Small

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search & Cortana Width Too Small: Hi all, I've been having this problem since I started using Windows 10; the start menu resizes to a way to small width when I search for something or open Cortana. Attached are screenshots of my start menu (which is fine), and how it looks when I search or have Cortana...
  6. No Start Menu? No Cortana?

in Windows 10 Support
    No Start Menu? No Cortana?: Everything was working ABSOLUTELY AWESOMELY with build 10041. As of 7:00 p.m. central time 3/22/2014. Now, I log into my computer this morning and nothing Start is just not working. I can't get into settings (any way that I know) to revert back. Can someone please assist in...
  7. Windows Start menu and Cortana/ Search stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Start menu and Cortana/ Search stopped working: Have the Anniversary edition. Suddenly the start menu and Cortana have stoped working. As has right click menus on the start bar? It was okay after the initial install?? Have tried several restarts but no change. Dan 60994
  8. Cortana web searches not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana web searches not opening: Does it still do this when you have Microsoft Edge set as your default web browser? Choose Default Apps in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials Yeah, it still doesn't work.
  9. Start menu and Search/Cortana do not function

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu and Search/Cortana do not function: Sometimes Start menu and Search/Cortana buttons become frozen and only after hard boot they work. 19756
  10. Windows Search (Cortana) not working properly with Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search (Cortana) not working properly with Start Menu: Hello fellow Windows 10 users! I've upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro. Everything is fine and Windows are working very smooth and nice. But there is one thing that really bothers me: Windows Search (including Cortana) does not find links to programs inside...