Windows 10: Webcam video encoding types not available after Win 10 Anniv Update

Discus and support Webcam video encoding types not available after Win 10 Anniv Update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I offer this in the hope that it will help get the issue some attention. Background I use webcams for video conferencing and streaming... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mjgraves, Aug 12, 2016.

1. mjgraves Win User

Webcam video encoding types not available after Win 10 Anniv Update

I offer this in the hope that it will help get the issue some attention.

Background

I use webcams for video conferencing and streaming production. I have a large collection of webcams of all sorts, along with various software applications that allows explicit control of the cameras.

Camera I have on-hand: Logitech C920, C930e, BCC950, CC3000e, Aver VC520

Applications I use: vMix, Wirecast, Open Broadcaster Studio, SparkoCam

Most webcams are USB 2.0 connected and only support delivery of uncompressed video frames (I420, YUY2 or RGB encoded) to the client application. These two facts limit them to 720p30.

Some webcams (including all those listed above) support MJPEG and/or H264 encoding. That allows them to achieve 1080p30 if the client app is capable of setting the camera up to deliver the compressed stream. It also makes it a lot easier to use multiple webcams on the same computer without fighting USB bandwidth headaches.

The Problem

On a windows 10 system without the anniversary update installed all of the apps I have can put these various cameras into MJPEG or H264 mode and successfully achieve 1080p30.

On a similar system that has been updated with the anniversary update the compressed encoding types are not available to the applications. Only uncompressed encodings are offered. Thus 1080p30 cannot be achieved.

If I compare device drivers between the systems I find that they are identical. Same source, date, version.

I think that they have broken something in their basic UVC implementation. MJPEG encoding is an aspect of UVC 1.1, H264 was in UVC 1.5.

I reported this to Microsoft. They issued me a ticket number and referred me to some utterly worthless documents regarding repairing access to webcam that was not working at all.

Reverting to pre-anniversary update restores the missing functionality.

I've documented this here: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Breaks USB Camera Functionality Graves On SOHO Technology

It's also been reported in support forums for vMix, Wirecast and OBS.

Michael

:)

mjgraves, Aug 12, 2016
  2. JBMouse Win User

Outlook closes unexpectedly, Win 10 Anniv

Win 10 updated on 19/10/16, but now outlook closes after about 15 seconds, what is the problem? Win 10 64bit Anniv update.

**Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.**

JBMouse, Aug 12, 2016
  3. Camera isn't working after windows update from win 8.1 to win 10 .

I have Samsung laptop model NP355V5C-SO5IN . After updating it from win 8.1 to win 10 my camera stopped working.

Error code : 0xA00F4244<NoCamerasAreAttached>

Also in Device Manager I could not find any driver setting for webcam not even under Sound, video and game controllers...

Can't find this :

[

Select the Start button, type Device Manager,
    and then select Device Manager from the search results.

Find your webcam under Imaging devices or Sound, video and game controllers.
    ]

VIJAY DIXIT, Aug 12, 2016
  4. mjgraves Win User

mjgraves, Aug 14, 2016
Thema:

1. Webcam video encoding types not available after Win 10 Anniv Update - Similar Threads - Webcam video encoding

2. Webcam no video?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Webcam no video?: Hey guys, I have a Logitech C615 webcam which was working just fine yesterday. I needed to change its USB port and since making the change, it has no video output. I have since returned it to its previous port and the issue persists. My privacy settings are correct, the...
  3. Webcam Yuy2 encoding necessary after update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Webcam Yuy2 encoding necessary after update?: Hello, My laptop keeps freezing when I turn on my external Webcam on discord. As far as I can tell from research it's because it's MJPG encoded, but for some time now windows 10 only supports YUY2 encoding and that's why it freezes. Any idea around that? It's a Webcam with...
  4. HP Webcam driver? Is a driver available for Win 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP Webcam driver? Is a driver available for Win 10?: Is there a driver for an HP webcam for Win 10? If so, where please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-webcam-driver-is-a-driver-available-for-win-10/86e78126-d938-48b4-9195-923f5fb3da2e
  5. Clock_Watchdog_Timeout during video encoding

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Clock_Watchdog_Timeout during video encoding: Over the past days I've gotten the clock watchdog timeout bsod during very high cpu usage (was rendering some video). Any help would be appreciated. (2019-09-28_09-16-19).zip 141414
  6. video encoder

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    video encoder: how do I find CPU ranking page for my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-encoder/62fc7b8c-3e71-4481-9d5b-70fd2bc89001
  7. In-game VSYNC not working properly after Anniv. Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In-game VSYNC not working properly after Anniv. Update: Hello fellow forum users. At first I thought it was nVidia's fault but after testing several driver revisions (old and new) I believe there's something broken in the Anniversary Update w10. I am mostly playing Grim Dawn and Left4Dead2, two games that were running quite...
  8. Win 10 Anniv update stuck/system-update locks

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Anniv update stuck/system-update locks: Tried win 10 anniv update and after 10 hours! it sat on 99%. Finally shut it down. Now when I try to update from setting-update, that locks up & I have to use task manager to exit it. Heard a lot about problems with the anniv update, now I know. Also what do they mean when...
  9. Encoding Videos slowed down significantly after Creators Fall update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encoding Videos slowed down significantly after Creators Fall update: I often do video re-encoding for 4K Videos to reduce their ridiculous sizes that can reach up to 30 GBs for 90 minutes . Usually it took 24 hours to convert a 1 hour 4K movie to H265 2K (I7 CPU + NVIDIA Acceleration) , I know is too much but still , I have seen worse...
  10. Win 10 Anniv. Update (v. 1607) no Internet Connectivity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 Anniv. Update (v. 1607) no Internet Connectivity: Hi there - On 9/25 at 4:00 AM my system, already a Win 10 machine, applied updates bringing it to v 1607, build 14393.187. Since then I have had no internet connectivity - either through wifi or with an Ethernet cable. I rolled back to v. 1511 build 10586.589 but still no...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. encoding driver Webcam