Windows 10: Webcam won't work in any browser; works for other applications

Discus and support Webcam won't work in any browser; works for other applications in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have no problem using the built-in webcam for Windows Hello login, Skype, or Zoom. It will not, however, work in any web browser; I've tried Chrome,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Digicrat, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Digicrat Win User

Webcam won't work in any browser; works for other applications

I have no problem using the built-in webcam for Windows Hello login, Skype, or Zoom. It will not, however, work in any web browser; I've tried Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. For Chrome and Edge, it does not prompt for permission and does not list any cameras available ie: in Google Meet. For Firefox, when I access a page using the webcam, it simply crashes.

I've checked the browser permissions, and the Windows privacy permissions. The latter is enabled, but the browsers are not listed among the set of applications requesting permission. Oddly Skype always shows up in the 'Allow desktop apps...' list as 'Currently in use', even when Skype is fully closed as verified via Task Manager.

Any ideas?

:)

Digicrat, Jul 2, 2020
  2. Naresh_K Win User

Webcam not working

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

This issue can occur if the camera drivers are not up-to date, your anti-virus may be blocking the camera, or camera app is not installed properly. I would suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article:
    Camera does not work in Windows 10. You can also refer to the suggestion on HP article:
    HP PCs - Webcam Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 8).

If you need any further assistance, please write back with the following information:

1. What happens when you are trying to access Camera app?
    2. What is the exact error message you are getting?
    3. What is version of Windows 10 that is installed on your device?
    4. Are you using an external webcam? If yes, please help us with the make and model of the webcam.

Regards,

Naresh_K, Jul 2, 2020
  3. Internal webcam not working ASUS UX430UA Laptop

Hey guys,

So I'm having an issue with my internal webcam on my laptop (Asus UX430UA). Basically whenever I use the windows camera app, skype or any other video service it just shows a black screen, also a white led turns on next to the webcam when using the apps possibly indicating the webcam is on? I tried googling and looking at other forums for months now and seems like no one has a straight answer and/or fix. I tried uninstalling the webcam driver " USB2.0 HD UVC WebCam" and reinstalling and that didn't work, tried looking for an updated driver via Asus driver downloads and there isn't one listed for my model and also made sure all Windows 10 privacy settings are not blocking the webcam from working and that still didn't work. Hopefully someone has a suggestion that I haven't tried yet, here are the details of the driver; Version: 10.0.18362.693, Date: 6/21/2006.

Thanks in advance!

AustBart22, Jul 2, 2020
  4. DanRosart Win User

Webcam downgrades resolution and won't work with Hangouts

1. I didn't just get this webcam. It had worked successfully for years using the drivers that came with Windows 10.
    2. It is not a built-in webcam, which seems to be the main thrust of the webcam troubleshooting link; also, I know that it's only currently capturing at 640x480, so using the camera app to take a photo at that resolution won't tell me anything I don't know.
      I also know that when it was working at was capturing at 720p.
    3. Because it uses the built-in windows drivers, I can't very well reinstall them.

DanRosart, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Webcam won't work in any browser; works for other applications - Similar Threads - Webcam won't browser

2. The keyboard not working in the windows but work on any other applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The keyboard not working in the windows but work on any other applications: The keyboard is not working anywhere in the windows also I tried on screen keyboard same problem, but they working fine on any other applications anyone have clue about where is the problem?...
  3. The keyboard not working in the windows but work on any other applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The keyboard not working in the windows but work on any other applications: The keyboard is not working anywhere in the windows also I tried on screen keyboard same problem, but they working fine on any other applications anyone have clue about where is the problem?...
  4. The keyboard not working in the windows but work on any other applications

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Webcam won't work in any browser; works for other applications

Webcam won't work in any browser; works for other applications: I have no problem using the built-in webcam for Windows Hello login, Skype, or Zoom. It will not, however, work in any web browser; I've tried Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. For Chrome and Edge, it does not prompt for permission and does not list any cameras available ie: in...
  6. Webcam won't work in any browser; works for other applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Webcam won't work in any browser; works for other applications: I have no problem using the built-in webcam for Windows Hello login, Skype, or Zoom. It will not, however, work in any web browser; I've tried Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. For Chrome and Edge, it does not prompt for permission and does not list any cameras available ie: in...
  7. Webcam won't work in any browser; works for other applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Webcam won't work in any browser; works for other applications

Webcam won't work in any browser; works for other applications: I have the same issue as this previous question https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/webcam-wont-work-in-any-browser-works-for-other/523c4dfe-3db6-4817-99fb-e5873eb4fc6f --- I have no problem using the built-in webcam for Windows Hello...
  9. "Webcam" works in camera app, but crashes in other applications

"Webcam" works in camera app, but crashes in other applications: I recently bought one of those cheap action cameras you see floating around on Amazon in order to participate in online meetings. This particular model has a "PC mode", when essentially exposes itself as an input device to Windows. The driver used when the camera is connected...
  10. Webcam won't work on Hangouts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Webcam won't work on Hangouts: My webcam stopped working on Hangouts but is till working on Cortana and some other apps. At first my HP 3110 webcam worked well at resolution of 720 p but something went wrong and Hangout stopped to accept the video but only sound. I plugged my webcam into the different USB...