Windows 10: "Webp" image format is driving me nuts, Whack-A-Mole

Discus and support "Webp" image format is driving me nuts, Whack-A-Mole in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; When the "webp" image format started appearing on the web, I download a codec to for it, and it mostly worked, but Windows Photo Viewer showed it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Zardotab, Mar 10, 2021.

1. "Webp" image format is driving me nuts, Whack-A-Mole

When the "webp" image format started appearing on the web, I download a codec to for it, and it mostly worked, but Windows Photo Viewer showed it darkened for some odd reason. (I don't like the newer Microsoft "Photos" viewer. It's optimized for fingers, not mice. Mice didn't go away.)

After googling and binging around for a while, I found a suggestion to un-install Microsoft's webp codec and install the Google codec. That worked for Photo Viewer, but then Microsoft Paint couldn't open webp anymore. It can't recognize the file format. Did fine before. Thus, it fixed one app but broke another.

So I reinstalled the Microsoft codec via their app store, but MS-Paint still doesn't work on webp's. Actually, it works when in the PC admin account, but not a user account, which is really odd. It's as if the admin account has access to the codec but not a "user" account under MS-Paint.

Pox on Google for forcing the webp standard on the world wide web. It's only been trouble.

submitted by /u/Zardotab
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Zardotab, Mar 10, 2021

2. Surface Win10 whack-a-mole

When I hover the mouse cursor over a taskbar icon, (folders, excel, word etc), it will show all the open items, then quickly they will all disappear. If I click on them fast enough I can get one to open. Sometimes even if I click, it will disappear. If I
    use my finger on the touchscreen really quickly, I can get it. Like a game of whack-a-mole. I brought it back to the windows store; could not reproduce the problem, so they blamed me (they were very nice kids though).

Annoyance off the scale, but what can I expect, I bought an MS product, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Work around; disconnect the power cord, problem disappears!!!!!

But this is ridiculous. I need to charge. How do I stop this problem and still charge.

1JohnFoster, Mar 10, 2021
  3. DaveM_AUS Win User
    Does Windows 10 support the image format "webp" for Desktop Backgrounds?

Does Windows 10 support the image format "webp" for Desktop Backgrounds?

I read that MS Edge supports the image format, and I'm wondering if that extends to the Backgrounds feature.

DaveM_AUS, Mar 10, 2021
  4. "Webp" image format is driving me nuts, Whack-A-Mole

Windows Photo Viewer (in windows 10) can view Webp file, but the image become dark

Hello, my name is Arif Ahmed, Windows Advisor.

I would be happy to help you.

I believe this is a photo rendering issue. If the webp images are rendered this way in WPV then there is little we can do. But I would suggest you to kindly open these webp images at another app save as another format which is perfectly rendered in WPV.

ArifAhmed2, Mar 10, 2021
Thema:

"Webp" image format is driving me nuts, Whack-A-Mole

1. "Webp" image format is driving me nuts, Whack-A-Mole - Similar Threads - Webp image format

2. DPC_Watchdog Violation and Driver Whack-a-Mole

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DPC_Watchdog Violation and Driver Whack-a-Mole: I wish this issue was easy to fix. I have the dreaded computer crash/DPC_Watchdog_Violation error happening on a daily basis. The time between crashes and what is running at the time varies with each use. What is most frustrating is that the information the minidump provides...
  3. DPC_Watchdog Violation and Driver Whack-a-Mole

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DPC_Watchdog Violation and Driver Whack-a-Mole: I wish this issue was easy to fix. I have the dreaded computer crash/DPC_Watchdog_Violation error happening on a daily basis. The time between crashes and what is running at the time varies with each use. What is most frustrating is that the information the minidump provides...
  4. DPC_Watchdog Violation and Driver Whack-a-Mole

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Driving me Nuts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Driving me Nuts: [ATTACH] Every time I restart my pc or rarely where my pc crashes my lock screen is switched to this photo. I've done a system image search but failed to find it. Right clicking on the off screen prompt takes me nowhere. I'm seriously done with this. I need help...
  6. WebP images are not images

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WebP images are not images: WebP images are not treated as images: thumbnails are not displayed, cannot be used as background etc. Why is that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/webp-images-are-not-images/82ea8f94-d7af-414d-a6e8-d7255a820e5b"
  7. Webp Image Extensions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Webp Image Extensions: How to terminate Webp Image Extensions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/webp-image-extensions/42a19481-9715-48fe-a0e4-2fd03382ed9f
  8. Driving me nuts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Driving me nuts: I've somehow 'lost' MSVCR110.dll and MSVCP110.dll. So Cyberlink Power2Go 11 won't run. Seems that those 2 dlls are part of those Microsoft Visual C Redistributable packages that lazy companies such as Cyberlink lean on because they're too inept to develop their own C++ codes...
  9. this is driving me nuts!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    this is driving me nuts!: so here is the thing couple days ago i left my laptop for 1 hour with my cousin (12 year old) who had his little 4 year old brother with him,i didnt trust him with my laptop but family forced me to atleast give them a bit of fun i went outside and after an hour i cameback...
  10. Microsoft Edge will soon support WebP image format

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Edge will soon support WebP image format: Microsoft remains committed to the Edge browser and the company recently announced that they have started implementing support for Google’s WebP image format in Windows 10’s default browser. Today Microsoft published a new extension in the Store called “WebP Images format”...