Windows 10: Weird ACSII characters in NTDVM Windows 10

Discus and support Weird ACSII characters in NTDVM Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In anticipation of the withdrawal of support for Windows 7 in January I am starting to transition my company’s computers to Windows 10. We have used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Robert Lenk, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Weird ACSII characters in NTDVM Windows 10

In anticipation of the withdrawal of support for Windows 7 in January I am starting to transition my company’s computers to Windows 10. We have used Win 7 32 bit in order to use long standing custom DOS application. It has run in NTVDM faultlessly with the advantage that it can make calls to the external Windows system such as displaying and printing PDF files.

I have downloaded the Windows 10 update tool (32 bit of course) from Microsoft and attempted the transition on the first computer. I ran it with the option to keep all programs and data. Surprisingly, it ran without trouble with the result that all the Windows programs work as expected under the new Win 10. That is, with the exception of NTVDM.

In itself, NTVDM appears to work just fine. But the extended ASCII character set is displaying some weird characters. Since we use some of the extended characters (eg, £, ½, º, ±, ©, ®, µ) this will be a problem for us.

Under Win 7 in order to display the correct ASCII extended codes we added the following line to the batch file that calls the DOS application:

C:\Windows\System32\KB16 UK,850,C:\Windows\System32\KEYBOARD.SYS

That gave the ‘correct' ASCII extended character set as displayed here:

Weird ACSII characters in NTDVM Windows 10 5757931c-d787-43ea-897f-74513efa9baa?upload=true.jpg

However, under Win 10 this displays as (‘incorrect' characters highlighted):

Weird ACSII characters in NTDVM Windows 10 29df2824-a0b7-4420-9ddc-7f332716738b?upload=true.jpg

I notice that both KB.COM and KEYBOARD.SYS are present in the same C:\Windows\System32 folder in Win 10. So why is a different extended character set displaying?

I have configured NTVDM under Win 10 to ‘Use legacy console’. I notice a new parameter ‘Current code page’ configured for 'OEM – Multilingual Latin I’ which can't be altered whether in legacy console or not.

In Control Panel, Region Settings, the system locale is set to ‘English (United Kingdom)'. I don't know if this affects (or should affect) NTDVM in Win 10.

Interestingly, this behaviour seems to only affect the raster font. When selecting either of the TrueType fonts, Consolas or Lucinda Console, the ‘correct’ extended character set is displayed.

However, the TrueType fonts introduce screen artefacts (mainly when toggling through menus) which don’t appear with the raster font. So I’d prefer to use the raster font in Win 10 as I did with Win 7.

I’ve searched the internet for possible solutions but can find nothing. Maybe people don’t use the extended ASCII set so they don't see a problem.

I have recently looked at alternatives to NTVDM. Although vDOS would appear to be the answer for my application (both 32 and 64 bit) I can’t get it to work. NTVDM is simple, comes with Windows (32 bit) and I know it works (until now).

Would much appreciate some assistance with this.

:)

Robert Lenk, Sep 22, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 22, 2019
  3. Monk.e83 Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Sep 22, 2019
  4. Weird ACSII characters in NTDVM Windows 10

Weird Green Characters

Has anyone seen this before. There are weird green charachter in the min/max/close area of "modern" apps and weird green square.
    Weird ACSII characters in NTDVM Windows 10 [​IMG]

donaldkbart, Sep 22, 2019
Thema:

Weird ACSII characters in NTDVM Windows 10

1. Weird ACSII characters in NTDVM Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Weird ACSII characters

2. Corrupt Windows font? Numbers in weird characters.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Corrupt Windows font? Numbers in weird characters.: Hi, First I thought this was an application error, but later I noticed I had the same problem in several other applications too. The problem is that all numerical up/down forms in different applications don't show numbers correctly on my PC as shown below. It seems fine in...
  3. Weird Font and size of Chinese characters on Windows 10 English edition

in Windows 10 Customization
    Weird Font and size of Chinese characters on Windows 10 English edition: Hi, I recently re-installed Windows 10 En edition and found that the Chinese characters look pretty weird. Previously they look normal, so I have no sense what's causing the current issue. File browser: [ATTACH] Task bar: [ATTACH] I searched for answers for a while...
  4. Keyboard typing weird characters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard typing weird characters: So, I have booted up my PC today, and found out that the keyboard has been instead of normal letters, it has been typing symbols or vietnamese and slavic letters. To the keyboard also joined the mouse, that when I want to scroll down a page, it zooms in and out. My PC is...
  5. What’s up with the weird characters?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What’s up with the weird characters?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/DCCCXXV [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dzbqr5/whats_up_with_the_weird_characters/
  6. Weird ASCII characters in NTDVM Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Weird ASCII characters in NTDVM Windows 10: In anticipation of the withdrawal of support for Windows 7 in January I am starting to transition my company’s computers to Windows 10. We have used Win 7 32 bit in order to use a long standing custom DOS application. It has run in NTVDM faultlessly with the advantage that...
  7. Weird characters in "Windows Defender" and "Settings" apps

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Weird characters in "Windows Defender" and "Settings" apps: Hello. I'm a Brazilian user of Windows 10, currently running the Windows Insider Preview build 17692 (Slow Ring). For about a month now, some of the default Latin characters have been replaced with other weird characters in the "Windows Defender" and "Settings" modern (Metro)...
  8. Weird Green Characters

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird Green Characters: Has anyone seen this before. There are weird green charachter in the min/max/close area of "modern" apps and weird green square. [img] 10440
  9. Weird chinese characters appearing in windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird chinese characters appearing in windows: I've googled it and it seems like some others have had similar issues, but i'd like to ask if anyone knows what this is all about. [img] If i copy paste the line seen on screenshot, then this is what i get: Code:...
  10. Weird characters in GPU Properties info

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird characters in GPU Properties info: [img] Anyone have any idea why adapter name appears in gibberish characters? the card works 100% in WinX and Win7 on same PC. Thanks for ur input! 4952

Users found this page by searching for:

1. britec Weird symbols Problem Windows update explorer