Windows 10: Weird ASCII characters in NTDVM Windows 10

Discus and support Weird ASCII characters in NTDVM Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In anticipation of the withdrawal of support for Windows 7 in January I am starting to transition my company’s computers to Windows 10. We have used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Robert Lenk, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Weird ASCII characters in NTDVM Windows 10

In anticipation of the withdrawal of support for Windows 7 in January I am starting to transition my company’s computers to Windows 10. We have used Win 7 32 bit in order to use a long standing custom DOS application. It has run in NTVDM faultlessly with the advantage that it can make calls to the external Windows system such as displaying and printing PDF files.

I have downloaded the Windows 10 update tool (32 bit of course) from Microsoft and attempted the transition on the first computer. I ran it with the option to keep all programs and data. Surprisingly, it ran without trouble with the result that all the Windows programs work as expected under the new Win 10. That is, with the exception of NTVDM.

In itself, NTVDM appears to work just fine. But the extended ASCII character set is displaying some weird characters. Since we use some of the extended characters (eg, £, ½, º, ±, ©, ®, µ) this will be a problem for us.

Under Win 7 in order to display the correct ASCII extended codes we added the following line to the batch file that calls the DOS application:

C:\Windows\System32\KB16 UK,850,C:\Windows\System32\KEYBOARD.SYS

That gave the ‘correct' ASCII extended character set as displayed here:

Weird ASCII characters in NTDVM Windows 10 5757931c-d787-43ea-897f-74513efa9baa?upload=true.jpg

However, under Win 10 this displays as (‘incorrect' characters highlighted):

Weird ASCII characters in NTDVM Windows 10 29df2824-a0b7-4420-9ddc-7f332716738b?upload=true.jpg

I notice that both KB.COM and KEYBOARD.SYS are present in the same C:\Windows\System32 folder in Win 10. So why is a different extended character set displaying?

I have configured NTVDM under Win 10 to ‘Use legacy console’. I notice a new parameter ‘Current code page’ configured for 'OEM – Multilingual Latin I’ which can't be altered whether in legacy console or not.

In Control Panel, Region Settings, the system locale is set to ‘English (United Kingdom)'. I don't know if this affects (or should affect) NTDVM in Win 10.

Interestingly, this behaviour seems to only affect the raster font. When selecting either of the TrueType fonts, Consolas or Lucinda Console, the ‘correct’ extended character set is displayed.

However, the TrueType fonts introduce screen artefacts (mainly when toggling through menus) which don’t appear with the raster font. So I’d prefer to use the raster font in Win 10 as I did with Win 7.

I’ve searched the internet for possible solutions but can find nothing. Maybe people don’t use the extended ASCII set so they don't see a problem.

I have recently looked at alternatives to NTVDM. Although vDOS would appear to be the answer for my application (both 32 and 64 bit) I can’t get it to work. NTVDM is simple, comes with Windows (32 bit) and I know it works (until now).

Would much appreciate some assistance with this.

:)

Robert Lenk, Sep 22, 2019

2. How can I enter a square box as an ASCII character?

There is a series of box-drawing ASCII characters, such as 179/180, 187/188. Do a search for an ASCII character list, which will show you all of the relevant numbers.

Not Myself, Sep 22, 2019
  3. Extended ASCII characters from USB-serial interfaced equipment not displaying correctly.

Hi,

Extended ASCII characters are very useful for typing special symbols or characters. For better assistance, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you tried using the extended ASCII characters on an application such as notepad, Word, etc.? If yes, does it work on the said applications?
    • Are there any error messages displayed when using the extended ASCII characters on your external serial device?

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Sep 22, 2019
  4. Weird ASCII characters in NTDVM Windows 10

Updated Windows 10, ASCII characters aren't working

I just update Windows 10 to a new build and when I run my C++ programms, the ASCII characters (the white and black face ones) appear as '?'(question mark).

Rui AlmeidaJM, Sep 22, 2019
Thema:

Weird ASCII characters in NTDVM Windows 10

1. Weird ASCII characters in NTDVM Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Weird ASCII characters

2. Notepad won't accept ASCII characters when typed in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad won't accept ASCII characters when typed in: Hello everybody: whenever I try to enter an ASCII character when typing in Notepad, the character simply won't appear, for example, if I type "Alt+165" in order to place a "Ñ", or if I type "Alt+130" in order to place an "é", those characters won't appear in the text and...
  3. Can't enter multiple Ascii characters in Notepad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't enter multiple Ascii characters in Notepad: Lenovo Legion laptopWindows 11English language settingsSwedish keyboard settingsNow, the issue is that whenever I open a new .txt file in notepad I can enter a total of 1 Ascii character using the left-alt + numpad method. Attempting to enter a second character using the same...
  4. Can't enter multiple Ascii characters in Notepad

Can't enter multiple Ascii characters in Notepad: Lenovo Legion laptopWindows 11English language settingsSwedish keyboard settingsNow, the issue is that whenever I open a new .txt file in notepad I can enter a total of 1 Ascii character using the left-alt + numpad method. Attempting to enter a second character using the same...
  5. Ascii and Unicode characters missing from the Character map in windows used by several programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ascii and Unicode characters missing from the Character map in windows used by several programs: I use the electrical symbols all the time and after an update to office 365 the Character Map in windows Is now missing many of the Unicode and Ascii charactersI really need these back how do I get them back...
  6. Ascii and Unicode characters missing from the Character map in windows used by several programs

Ascii and Unicode characters missing from the Character map in windows used by several programs: I use the electrical symbols all the time and after an update to office 365 the Character Map in windows Is now missing many of the Unicode and Ascii charactersI really need these back how do I get them back...
  7. ASCII codes in Character Map

in Windows 10 Customization
    ASCII codes in Character Map: Hello, I am looking for a way to show the ASCII codes of all characters that have one in the Character Map in Windows 10 Pro as used to be the case in older versions, in such a way that when I wish to insert a special character in another application I can easily check what...
  8. Print characters from ASCII code in CLI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Print characters from ASCII code in CLI: From the command line, is there a way to ECHO a character based on an ASCII code? And vice versa, display the numerical ASCII code of a character? submitted by /u/the-guz [link] [comments]...
  9. ASCII code needed for this character: ϖ

in Windows 10 Customization
    ASCII code needed for this character: ϖ: TWiMC: I am desperately looking for the ascii code to produce the following text character » ϖ MANY THANKS for your help!! __ Nikki Grace Holmes https:// reaganator . com Zero relation to California's ex-governor....
  10. Weird ACSII characters in NTDVM Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Weird ACSII characters in NTDVM Windows 10: In anticipation of the withdrawal of support for Windows 7 in January I am starting to transition my company’s computers to Windows 10. We have used Win 7 32 bit in order to use long standing custom DOS application. It has run in NTVDM faultlessly with the advantage that it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 ntvdm raster font characters