Windows 10: Weird black-screen issue at boot

Discus and support Weird black-screen issue at boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an older Toshiba laptop with Intel HD Graphics. With a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro (1903), it boots to a black screen. When I press and hold... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DonnyBahama, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Weird black-screen issue at boot

I have an older Toshiba laptop with Intel HD Graphics. With a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro (1903), it boots to a black screen. When I press and hold the power button to shut it down and try again, it shuts down (or appears to) after about 2 seconds - and when I release the power button and press it again, it comes up to the (Metro?) screen. (The one where you have to click it to display the login prompt.) From there, everything is fine but this happens on every single boot.

I'm guessing this is probably a known issue with a simple fix but I haven't found it by searching Google. (Kinda hard to know what to search for, exactly.)

Help?

- - - Updated - - -

OK, nevermind. Sorry! At Toshiba's support site, there are no drivers or updates listed for W10 but when I selected Win8, I saw a BIOS update. Downloaded, WinFlash'ed - problem solved.

:)

DonnyBahama, Nov 5, 2019

2. Gtx 460 black screen issue

I have an EVGA gtx 460 that has started acting odd. Every once in awhile I would get a black screen that would require a hard reset. Then eventually the other day, it wouldn't boot at all. It would boot to the windows logo and then black screen.

Replaced it with a spare card, booted up fine.

Put the 460 back in, black screen.

Booted in safe mode, boots fine.

Uninstalled driver and reboot to full windows... boots fine with no driver installed.

Reinstalled latest driver (was already on latest driver when this started) and rebooted. Black screen.

Booted into safe mode and uninstalled driver again.

Reboot to full windows, install old version of driver, reboot. Black screen.

Reboot to safe mode, uninstall driver, reboot to full windows install reeeeeaaally old version of driver. Reboot. Black screen....

So... the only time the card works is when there is no nvidia driver installed... weird.

Anybody got any ideas? I haven't tried testing it in a clean windows install yet, but that's my next step I guess.

Papahyooie, Nov 5, 2019
  3. Black screen after booting

Hi Darlene,

There are several reasons why this issue occurs, such as a corrupted driver, Internet connection, third-party software, and external hardware or devices. For us to investigate the issue, please clarify the following:

• Can you verify if the issue occurred during the update or after installing the update?
    • Are you able to log in to your computer?

In the meantime, we suggest performing the steps provided on this link to resolve your black screen
    issue. On the "Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors" section, select the error that you're experiencing from the options provided.

Get back to us with the result.

Lov Dollente, Nov 5, 2019
  4. zplugger Win User

Weird black-screen issue at boot

Black Screen after Log on

Computer boots to windows log on,have no password here.After a minute on log on it go to a black screen,stays there forever. I can get to Task Manager from black Screen,lost on what to do next. Just want my Windows 10 back, not sure what caused this problem. Any Suggestion on what my next step should be?*Sad

zplugger, Nov 5, 2019
Thema:

Weird black-screen issue at boot

1. Weird black-screen issue at boot - Similar Threads - Weird black screen

2. Weird black-screen issue at boot

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Weird black-screen issue at boot: I have an older Toshiba laptop with Intel HD Graphics. With a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro (1903), it boots to a black screen. When I press and hold the power button to shut it down and try again, it shuts down (or appears to) after about 2 seconds - and when I release the...
  3. Black screen, no boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen, no boot: Dear readers. I need help with my pc win 10 64bit. The problem is with the boot. Basically it does not boot at all. The keyboard lamp won't turn on, so it is not usable also. The screen is black, nothing is shown. The mouse is the same, not visible. I tried to hear, if the...
  4. Black Screen Issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen Issues: Since I updated my computer to Windows 10 I have been suffering from a mayor issue, that is every certain amount of time my computer screen will go totally black (like if it went to sleep mode) and computer will be completely unresponsive. I tried everything: formatted,...
  5. Black screen on boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black screen on boot: When I try to boot up my pc, it goes straight to a black screen, no display whatsoever. I've tried restarting it 3 times in a row. The closest I've got was mashing F12 which gave me a few beeps then nothing. What else can I do?...
  6. Weird Windows 10 boot issue

Weird Windows 10 boot issue: I am working on a friends Dell Optiplex 9030 all-in-one. it was given to me with a bad hard drive. I replaced it with a Crucial 500 GB SSD. It booted from the Windows 10 installation disk just fine and installed Windows. However, when I restart the computer with no boot disk...
  7. Black Screen On Startup (This is a weird one)

Black Screen On Startup (This is a weird one): So as of a few days ago I came back home from school and even though my pc was on before i left the house and working properly, the screen was black when i came home, now I have tried all the types of troubleshooting and I dont quite understand what could be the problem...
  8. Black screen at booting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen at booting: I have a Samsung laptop. I had Windows 10 for about 2 weeks and everything was fine until last week. When I press the power button, the Windows 10 icon appears with the loading icon. After that, I'm getting a black screen for about 3 minutes then my login screen appears and...
  9. Black screen boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen boot: Went to restart my computer and when I did and rebooted it it went to a loading screen with the circle balls going around. It then goes to another loading the same thing. Then it goes to a black screen where I can move the mouse. I tried using the space and ctrl tricks to...
  10. Weird screen dimming issue.

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird screen dimming issue.: For the last few weeks I've had this bizarre issue where my screen will randomly dim. I can't click on anything when this happens.. The only way to fix it, is to either restart my computer or re-log. Any suggestions? 39736