Windows 10: Weird black-screen issue at boot

Discus and support Weird black-screen issue at boot in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have an older Toshiba laptop with Intel HD Graphics. With a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro (1903), it boots to a black screen. When I press and hold... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by DonnyBahama, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Weird black-screen issue at boot

I have an older Toshiba laptop with Intel HD Graphics. With a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro (1903), it boots to a black screen. When I press and hold the power button to shut it down and try again, it shuts down (or appears to) after about 2 seconds - and when I release the power button and press it again, it comes up to the (Metro?) screen. (The one where you have to click it to display the login prompt.) From there, everything is fine but this happens on every single boot.

I'm guessing this is probably a known issue with a simple fix but I haven't found it by searching Google. (Kinda hard to know what to search for, exactly.)

Help?

- - - Updated - - -

OK, nevermind. Sorry! At Toshiba's support site, there are no drivers or updates listed for W10 but when I selected Win8, I saw a BIOS update. Downloaded, WinFlash'ed - problem solved.

:)

DonnyBahama, Nov 5, 2019

2. Gtx 460 black screen issue

I have an EVGA gtx 460 that has started acting odd. Every once in awhile I would get a black screen that would require a hard reset. Then eventually the other day, it wouldn't boot at all. It would boot to the windows logo and then black screen.

Replaced it with a spare card, booted up fine.

Put the 460 back in, black screen.

Booted in safe mode, boots fine.

Uninstalled driver and reboot to full windows... boots fine with no driver installed.

Reinstalled latest driver (was already on latest driver when this started) and rebooted. Black screen.

Booted into safe mode and uninstalled driver again.

Reboot to full windows, install old version of driver, reboot. Black screen.

Reboot to safe mode, uninstall driver, reboot to full windows install reeeeeaaally old version of driver. Reboot. Black screen....

So... the only time the card works is when there is no nvidia driver installed... weird.

Anybody got any ideas? I haven't tried testing it in a clean windows install yet, but that's my next step I guess.

Papahyooie, Nov 5, 2019
  3. Black screen after booting

Hi Darlene,

There are several reasons why this issue occurs, such as a corrupted driver, Internet connection, third-party software, and external hardware or devices. For us to investigate the issue, please clarify the following:

• Can you verify if the issue occurred during the update or after installing the update?
    • Are you able to log in to your computer?

In the meantime, we suggest performing the steps provided on this link to resolve your black screen
    issue. On the "Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors" section, select the error that you're experiencing from the options provided.

Get back to us with the result.

Lov Dollente, Nov 5, 2019
  4. zplugger Win User

Weird black-screen issue at boot

Black Screen after Log on

Computer boots to windows log on,have no password here.After a minute on log on it go to a black screen,stays there forever. I can get to Task Manager from black Screen,lost on what to do next. Just want my Windows 10 back, not sure what caused this problem. Any Suggestion on what my next step should be?*Sad

zplugger, Nov 5, 2019
Thema:

Weird black-screen issue at boot

1. Weird black-screen issue at boot - Similar Threads - Weird black screen

2. Black Screen Issue After Booting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Screen Issue After Booting.: Hello Microsoft Community,I hope this message finds you well. I'm currently facing an issue with my laptop, and I'm seeking assistance from the community to resolve it. Here are the details:Laptop Model: LENOVO L340Operating System: Windows 11Issue Description: After booting...
  3. Black Screen Issue After Booting.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen Issue After Booting.: Hello Microsoft Community,I hope this message finds you well. I'm currently facing an issue with my laptop, and I'm seeking assistance from the community to resolve it. Here are the details:Laptop Model: LENOVO L340Operating System: Windows 11Issue Description: After booting...
  4. Weird black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Weird black screen: This happened just now, I have an expensive Acer Nitro 5 laptop, and while I was talking to my friends on an app app caled discord, random black screen, no cursor, nothing, I restart, and after a few seconds the same black screen pops up, there is no sound, nothing, I then...
  5. Weird black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird black screen: This happened just now, I have an expensive Acer Nitro 5 laptop, and while I was talking to my friends on an app app caled discord, random black screen, no cursor, nothing, I restart, and after a few seconds the same black screen pops up, there is no sound, nothing, I then...
  6. Weird black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Weird boot screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Weird boot screen: I had avg antivirus and avg said there was an update so i did it and then it asked me to reboot my pc and i did that and now it dosen't come up with windows but with information? [IMG] Above is how it looks....
  8. Weird black lines on screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Weird black lines on screen: Some how my screen has been cut down, now having black lines on the top of the screen. I can not hover my mouse over it as it won't let me. I have tried the resolution setting but has not seemed to work. How can I get my screen back to normal??...
  9. Weird Black Screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird Black Screen: So I was browsing this subreddit and found a video on how to disable bing in windows search and I did it and It worked but then I shut down my computer and the next time I turned my laptop on it gave a black screen and i was terrified. What I did was I was just force...
  10. Weird black-screen issue at boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird black-screen issue at boot: I have an older Toshiba laptop with Intel HD Graphics. With a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro (1903), it boots to a black screen. When I press and hold the power button to shut it down and try again, it shuts down (or appears to) after about 2 seconds - and when I release the...