Windows 10: Weird borders in File Explorer

Discus and support Weird borders in File Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ever since upgrading to 10 from 7, the file explorer has had these weird borders on the top. I've been looking around for a solution for this the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vanity, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Vanity Win User

Weird borders in File Explorer

Ever since upgrading to 10 from 7, the file explorer has had these weird borders on the top. I've been looking around for a solution for this the entire day finding nothing at all.

Weird borders in File Explorer [​IMG]

The borders are only at the top of the explorer. I don't have this issue on my laptop which is running a clean install of Win10.

:)

Vanity, Aug 25, 2015

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Aug 25, 2015
  3. idm Border Problem . windows 10

Is it just that application? Do the weird borders affect other applications?

zachd [MSFT], Aug 25, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Are you talking about the ribbon?

If so, right click just to the right of View and select Minimize the Ribbon.

Ztruker, Aug 26, 2015
  5. Vanity Win User
    I'm talking about the thick borders within, that you don't have.

Vanity, Aug 26, 2015
  6. Vanity Win User
    Right, turns out it was caused by a custom explorerframe.dll in system32 and sysWOW64 I used in my customized Win7.

I thought the upgrade would replace those files, but apparently not.

Vanity, Aug 26, 2015
  7. dwegowy Win User
    So, I'm the other guy in the world with this problem. How did you replace the dll(s)? What is sysWOW64?

The desktop with this issue, I upgraded from Win7 to Win10 with the free upgrade; I had not "customized" it. If memory serves, prior to upgrading the desktop, I had installed Office365 and its ribbon was similarly clunky-looking... but is no longer, now it's just the file explorer.

I have a laptop running Win10-64 (like the desktop which has this issue), and despite being slightly above average with technical skill I'm unable to try swapping out the 'good' dll with the 'bad' (though both appear identical in size). Permission denied etc. I have tried a few methods via booting into CMD, but still denied.

Tips?

dwegowy, Oct 4, 2015
  8. dwegowy Win User

This is how it usually goes for me: I give in and ask for help, but keep toying around and solve my problem before I get an answer.

In case someone else lands here with this issue, here's how (I believe) I solved it without having to get too deep into files/settings.

It seems the windows themes that were preserved from my Win7 install contained the problematic setting or other quirky data. What I tried doing was to download a fresh new theme from Microsoft and activate that. That's all it took for the ribbon to appear properly in a file explorer window. Prior to this, I had tried activating one of the built-in themes (like Windows 10 or high contrast), but that didn't do the trick; for whatever reason, I had to download a new one and activate it.

Once that had appeared to solve things, I deleted all the old themes I had saved, then customized the new theme to my liking. Everything appears to be in order.

dwegowy, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Weird borders in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Weird borders File

2. Black borders look weird

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black borders look weird: Hi, so I recently started to notice something weird with my black borders. Sometimes when I watch something like youtube or netflix my borders start to turn purple or like weird cubes. I added a picture to maybe clear up the issue. Any ideas please let me know.Thanks,Dim van...
  3. Black borders look weird

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black borders look weird: Hi, so I recently started to notice something weird with my black borders. Sometimes when I watch something like youtube or netflix my borders start to turn purple or like weird cubes. I added a picture to maybe clear up the issue. Any ideas please let me know.Thanks,Dim van...
  4. Weird problem on windows file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Weird problem on windows file explorer: Hi, I am facing an weird issue that really don't know if anyone had face before.When I connect my laptop via cable, windows file explorer will hang.However if I switch my laptop to wifi, windows file explorer will work fine.The only problem is my wifi isn't quite stable,...
  5. Weird problem on windows file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird problem on windows file explorer: Hi, I am facing an weird issue that really don't know if anyone had face before.When I connect my laptop via cable, windows file explorer will hang.However if I switch my laptop to wifi, windows file explorer will work fine.The only problem is my wifi isn't quite stable,...
  6. File Explorer really sluggish and weird

File Explorer really sluggish and weird: About 4-5 months ago I started to notice after an update that file explorer started to act really weird it got sluggish and folders would not show the little preview thumbnails and file would just come up as white squares with no thumbnail or associated programs icon and the...
  7. Found something weird in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Found something weird in File Explorer: Please check this and tell, Should i delete it? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/found-something-weird-in-file-explorer/de5568e3-ccbf-470b-9efe-dc0c55f5b104
  8. weird application borders

in Windows 10 Customization
    weird application borders: in the potos app and settings the close, minimize etc. buttons are super weird.. how do i fix this?[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-application-borders/84ec2d03-77bd-414a-ac15-e561c7850cdb
  9. File Explorer Border Glitch

File Explorer Border Glitch: Hi When in dark mode, opening two File Explorer windows side by side (Windows key + < and Windows key + >) results in a glitch in the window border (please see attached screenshot). This only happens in dark mode. It actually looks like the windows aren't fully expanding...
  10. File Explorer Weird Behaviour!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer Weird Behaviour!!: My Windows 10 file explorer keeps refreshing (jumping to the beginning of window) every 60 seconds, thus closing any folder opened for naming and leaving any selected files. This is driving me crazy!! and I have tried every imaginable fixing method without any use. Can anyone...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows file explorer border

2. File explorer weird x

3. help in file explorer folder border

4. how to show borders for file explorer,
  5. file explorer ribbon border,
  6. Windows 10 file wxplorer borders,
  7. file explorer borders in windows 10,
  8. file explorer no borders,
  9. border for file explorer gone,
  10. file explorer windows border,
  11. borders file explorer