Windows 10: Weird computer name in my folder permissions

Discus and support Weird computer name in my folder permissions in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, So I was trying to move some movies from my movies file and it gave me a popup saying that I needed to have permission to be able to move the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TDG202, Mar 19, 2020.

1. TDG202 Win User

Weird computer name in my folder permissions

Hello,

So I was trying to move some movies from my movies file and it gave me a popup saying that I needed to have permission to be able to move the file. I went to the general section in the folder's properties and I noticed that the folder was on "Read Only", then I went to the security section and found 2 weird computer names that had full permissions and my account had read only permissions.

I tried to take ownership of the folder and it worked, but when I tried to tick the "Replace all child object permission entries.......... " It gave me an error, but when I remove the 2 weird users from the security section in the movie file's properties, it does it successfully.

Also when I try to open protected folders in windows defender it tells me that "Your IT administrator has disabled some features in the app" I have avira free security and AVG

Please help me, I dont want to keep removing the user from every single file.

:)

TDG202, Mar 19, 2020

2. Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Mar 19, 2020
  3. Kris Ver Win User
    I dont get administrative permissions to a specific folder.

Hi Nathan,

Problems accessing files may be related to permissions. Permissions are rules associated with files and folders that determine whether you can access them or make changes to them. To check the permission of the file or folder, follow these steps:

• Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions you have.
    To open a file, you need to have read permission. To change permissions on a file or folder, follow these steps:

• Right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions you have.
    • Click Edit, then select the check boxes for the permissions that you need. Tap or click OK.
    Let us know how it goes.

Kris Ver, Mar 19, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Mar 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Weird computer name in my folder permissions - Similar Threads - Weird computer name

2. Weird Administrator folder name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird Administrator folder name: While setting a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new/blank SDD I had to do a System Recovery. Luckily the Recovery Point was pretty new, but after it finished I noticed the Administrator account was again disabled I had enabled it before. So I re-enabled the Administrator...
  3. Weird Administrator folder name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird Administrator folder name: While setting a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new/blank SDD I had to do a System Recovery. Luckily the Recovery Point was pretty new, but after it finished I noticed the Administrator account was again disabled I had enabled it before. So I re-enabled the Administrator...
  4. Weird Administrator folder name

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Weird %LocalAppData% Folder Names

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird %LocalAppData% Folder Names: Every computer that I have owned since using Windows 7 has suffered from this issue at times. Does anyone know why? Some folders (or sub-folders) in %LocalAppData% sometimes get renamed to Folder Name followed by .exe_Url then a long random string of text. Typically these...
  6. Weird folders with long names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Weird folders with long names: So, since I have online classes, every day I use my laptop. Now, I've noticed that there are some weird folders with long names. Those names are: 3b6cb7df377683c56a62673d, 7742a23c06995f3a8408128c99427f8e, 6200093cbffe94c485458e, 15632226b3793987f8306e9a84d5,...
  7. Permission For My Own User Folder On Different Computer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permission For My Own User Folder On Different Computer: Hi - i searched for this but didn't find anything related to my exact situation I have a win 10 Pro laptop that won't boot - not sure why... Anyway, I took the SSD out, and used a USB adapter to get the files onto another computer. The drive loads fine and is visible on the...
  8. String to change name in file permissions that include computer name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    String to change name in file permissions that include computer name: I am using clonezilla to restore an image to computers. Some of the imaged file systems use the machine name in their permissions. Is there a string to enter to make the system replace the cloned image machine name to the new (or any current) machine name (i.e. Users...
  9. Changed Folder Permissions To My User Name In Safe Mode.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changed Folder Permissions To My User Name In Safe Mode.: Hi all I do not have a great knowledge of folder permissions. I hope i have not made a silly mistake, if this is the case then i am fine with my decision to change the folder permissions out of curiosity. Here is what i did. After noticing some changes in folder...
  10. Changed Folder Permissions To My User Name In Safe Mode.

in Windows 10 Support
    Changed Folder Permissions To My User Name In Safe Mode.: Hi all I do not have a great knowledge of folder permissions. I hope i have not made a silly mistake, if this is the case then i am fine with my decision to change the folder permissions out of curiosity. Here is what i did. After noticing some changes in folder...